[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Locked Sagan Thread : PseudoSkeptic Fallacies - Page 3 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Locked Sagan Thread

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

Re: Locked Sagan Thread

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Mar 2010, 00:23

Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Mar 2010, 00:40

Nostradamus

Postby The Warrigal » 11 Mar 2010, 03:35

Strewf!! :shock: A bloke goes away for a litle while and all hell breaks loose.

I see no reason at all for banning Nostradamus. - (What has he done to deserve that)?

With respect Kevin. - What do you hope to achieve by insulting other members and even more provacatively, - Moderators? :?

Victor Zammit is held, - (wisely or unwisely), - in high esteem by Australian Spiritualists. - And as a professional lawyer, he is an articulate gentleman, more than able of defending himself here if he felt the need.

I don't agree with every opinion of Victor Zammit's any more than I disagree with every critique of the paranormal made by Richard Dawkins or James Randi for example.

Both sceptics and non-sceptics seem to agree that there is phenomena which as yet, is unxplained and currently defies our best efforts to classify it definitively.

Forgive me if I am wrong. - But I thought that the whole purpose of paranormal research was to find a scientific explanation for unexplained phenomena.

I am not much of a space afficianado, so things like SETI seldom catch my eye.

If the late Carl Sagan was an optimist in relation to SETI, he was in good scientific company as the mathematical odds against our earth being the only planet capable of supporting inteligent life are immense.

Well that's as far as my thoughts carry me here for now.

I shall now adjourne to consult further with my spirit guides. - (Bundaberg Over-Proof Rum. - The very best kind). ;)

Cheers!
The Warrigal

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Mar 2010, 06:18

Good to see you back Warrigal.
NinjaPuppy

Postby The Warrigal » 11 Mar 2010, 07:39

Thanks Ninja!

It's nice to be back. :)
The Warrigal

Postby Kevin Kane » 11 Mar 2010, 08:51

Brainwave recordings are not pure waveforms but fluctuate. The fluctuations indicate brain activity of some sort, and some information can be deduced from it .. with reference (eg..general moods, alertness, etc). The data within the wave forms and extra medical data, does not include individual ideas, thoughts, memories of Ann Duryan. It's an electrical cloud signal of the body and brain.

Here's a rough equivalent of what we are asking the alien finders of the voyager golden record to do. Tell us what a specific lightening bolt looks like .. by listening to a low quality recording of the thunder it made.

Tell us what Lee Harvey Oswald looks like .. by listening to the Dallas police dictaphone recording of the gun shots.

We sent an hours worth of unreadable and worthless data into space.

Maybe we should have sent the aliens a copy of the Indus Script. Because was can't figure it out, and we have more references for Indus than for decrypting brainwaves.
Kevin Kane

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Mar 2010, 09:01

Nostradamus

Postby Kevin Kane » 11 Mar 2010, 11:14

I meant stable waveforms.

Hook up your computer processor to an EEG machine and look at the output signal. Based on the signal, ask the question: what program is your computer running, what is in the computer memory? Hey .. it's impossible.

In summary: Carl Sagan couldn't understand what his wife, Ann Druyan was thinking most of the time. So he spent most of his life looking for magical space aliens who could.

Kooky pothead.
Kevin Kane

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Mar 2010, 12:35

Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Mar 2010, 12:53

Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Mar 2010, 12:54

Out of curiosity, when you posted recently did you sign off as kooky pothead? It sure looked like you were saying that's what kooky pothead has to say.
Nostradamus

Postby Kevin Kane » 11 Mar 2010, 21:07

It's funny how skeptics can't recognize fantasy-based pseudoscience when it's done by skeptics. The voyager golden record makes so many false assumptions,it fails at critical and scientific thinking. It's no wonder why they kept the information about the brainwaves a secret for so long.

Here's the question for (pseudo) scientists: Can you guess what's in my refrigerator by analyzing the electrical hum of the fridge motor? It's power consumption, cooling cycles, and noise output? Get back to me on that, won't you?
Kevin Kane

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Mar 2010, 22:20

Again Kevin you point to a bad example in an effort to demonstrate that you are a pseudoskeptic relying on the fallacy of incredulity. Actually, this example is an irrelevant example verging on misrepresentation of the issue at hand.

First, let's make it clear that the hum is not due to the motor as you claim. It is a hum due to the compressor. Secondly, the hum of the compressor is not related to the food contents of the refrigerator. The hum is related to the controls inside of the refrigerator.

The only one you are fooling by these bad examples is yourself. I have already shown that thoughts can be extracted from brain waves. It has been done. End of story.

You might want to look over the following website to avoid the logical fallacies in your arguments:

Take a look at least at these issues, but don't stop there:
1. weak relevance
2. red herring
3. strawman fallacy
4. argument from ignorance
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Mar 2010, 22:26

Nostradamus

Postby Kevin Kane » 12 Mar 2010, 00:30

It's news to me. The only source of this information appears to be Ann Duryan herself.

I don't see how the aliens will ever decrypt Ann's brainwaves. Carl Sagan forgot to include a phrenology map of Ann's skull.
Kevin Kane

PreviousNext

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies