View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby quantumparanormal » 09 Sep 2009, 00:29

ProfWag wrote:My research has led me to conclude that the MDC is quite legitimate. I believe there may be a thread out there trashing it, but I'm not going to go there. If you want to start another one, go ahead. I think it's silly though. Too many other more important things to follow and research. I won't even look into the police tape thing. I have no personal interest in that at all.

I'd like to see this research, if you don't mind. Thanks.
Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
quantumparanormal

Postby The Professor » 09 Sep 2009, 02:39

ProfWag wrote:My research has led me to conclude that the MDC is quite legitimate. I believe there may be a thread out there trashing it, but I'm not going to go there. If you want to start another one, go ahead. I think it's silly though. Too many other more important things to follow and research. I won't even look into the police tape thing. I have no personal interest in that at all.

So ingnoring the truth is your idea of being skeptical ?... LMAO !!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSED TO TEST FOR A MILLION DOLLARS
The Professor

Postby ProfWag » 09 Sep 2009, 02:51

quantumparanormal wrote:

I do mind. I did not sign up on this board to discuss Randi, the JREF, or his MDC. I signed up to learn about the paranormal. Should the subject come up in another thread that is a little more professional than this one, I might be open to the discussion.
ProfWag

Postby quantumparanormal » 09 Sep 2009, 03:09

ProfWag wrote:
quantumparanormal wrote:

I do mind. I did not sign up on this board to discuss Randi, the JREF, or his MDC. I signed up to learn about the paranormal. Should the subject come up in another thread that is a little more professional than this one, I might be open to the discussion.

Since Randi's challenge is all about the paranormal, I thought you wouldn't mind. That's quite alright.
Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
quantumparanormal

Postby soldiergirl » 09 Sep 2009, 07:23

How reliable do you think lie detector tests are? Why do you think a lie detector result isn't allowed for a conviction? My god the ignorance of conspiracy theorists is overwhelming. Do you know how many people fail lie detector tests when they answered truthfully? Know how many people have passd lie detector tests when lying? It only measures physical changes while you answer it is not psychic and doesn't read your mind-heh kinda like sylvia brown and othr charlatans. Not to mention the graph result reading is only as good as the person administering the test. I personally would never take one with the exception of employment (i.e. any local law enforcement job, federal law enforcement job that requires it) otherwise i would not take one and don't blame anyone else for not believing in a machine that has been proven to not be accurate and has human error of the interpretor.
soldiergirl

Postby quantumparanormal » 09 Sep 2009, 07:30

soldiergirl wrote:Do you know how many people fail lie detector tests when they answered truthfully?

This is true. If you're nervous about answering a question incorrectly, that nervousness per se might register as an incorrect answer on the machine, whether it's a true answer or not.
Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
quantumparanormal

Postby The Professor » 09 Sep 2009, 09:29

LIARS are always afraid of Polygraph tests. Innocent people almost always ask to take a lie detector test to clear their name.
randi won't do it ... guess why ... he's guilty !
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSED TO TEST FOR A MILLION DOLLARS
The Professor

Postby soldiergirl » 09 Sep 2009, 11:11

[Post deleted]
soldiergirl

Postby highflyertoo » 10 Sep 2009, 13:44

Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo

Postby soldiergirl » 10 Sep 2009, 15:19

Umm okay. Lie detectors are already used for most law enforcement applicants also. Your point is what again? Like i said in a previous post I personally would take a polygraph for a law enforcement type job , but would not take one to prove a challenge or to prove anything else. Sill doesn't make them accurate. Look at Customs border patrol forums these days how agents are bitching that new recruits have to take a polygraph cause it also removes good applicants who are not lying.
soldiergirl

Postby The Warrigal » 10 Sep 2009, 15:39

Polygraphs are not only a farce, they are a dangerous farce.

I do know that polygraph tests are mandatory for certain types of employmet and that some firms insist that their workers submit periodically to polygraph testing, although I regard this as a total travesty myself.

Polygraphs have been demonstrated time and again to be incapable of distinguishing between the truth and a lie, therefore, I think it most unjust that a persons continued ability to earn an honest living should be at the mercy of some so-called "technician" and his box of tricks.
The Warrigal

Postby highflyertoo » 10 Sep 2009, 17:56

The Warrigal wrote:Polygraphs are not only a farce, they are a dangerous farce.

I do know that polygraph tests are mandatory for certain types of employmet and that some firms insist that their workers submit periodically to polygraph testing, although I regard this as a total travesty myself.

Polygraphs have been demonstrated time and again to be incapable of distinguishing between the truth and a lie, therefore, I think it most unjust that a persons continued ability to earn an honest living should be at the mercy of some so-called "technician" and his box of tricks.

The advancements and improvements Science has made in Lie Detection is most likely to have more and more people TESTED whether you agree or not. Work place agreement?

Lie Detectors are a useful piece of 'screening'' ?
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo

Postby soldiergirl » 10 Sep 2009, 19:47

Highondrugs,

Exactly work place agreement which is the only way I would take one because they are not very accurate and only as good as the polygraph examiner. People are human and err. Its absurd to expect Randy to take one about the MDC.
soldiergirl

Postby quantumparanormal » 10 Sep 2009, 23:37

soldiergirl wrote:Highondrugs,

Exactly work place agreement which is the only way I would take one because they are not very accurate and only as good as the polygraph examiner. People are human and err. Its absurd to expect Randy to take one about the MDC.

If Randi isn't lying and lie detectors are not accurate (which I agree with, by the way), what does he have to lose? If he passes, yay! If he fails, he can blame it on the lie detectors not being accurate. Either way, it's a win-win for him, correct?
Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
quantumparanormal

Postby Frank Lee » 11 Sep 2009, 03:57

I doubt very much that James Randi knows, and he certainly wouldn't care, that some nutcase on a tiny backwater internet forum thinks he should take a lie detector test. This topic is absurd.

Frank Lee
Frank Lee

PreviousNext

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge