View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby Azrael » 26 Aug 2009, 05:37

Azrael and csicop have still not provided any evidence for their respective assertions that I am some sort of 'dummy believer',


You claim in introduction thread to have had paranormal experiences. Thus you are a believer. :shock:
I'm always very skeptical of any situation where someone's notability hinges on their connection to another notable person
Azrael
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 23 Jul 2009, 02:32






Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby Hellboy » 26 Aug 2009, 06:25

Azrael wrote:
You claim in introduction thread to have had paranormal experiences. Thus you are a believer.


How is that evidence? I used the term paranormal to mean I have for the moment no rational or scientific explanation that can easily explain some of things I have experienced. If you bothered to read the rest of the post it quite categorically stated that I am not a believer or a skeptic, also I stated my specific interests. I find it strange that you omit such details in your argument; it would suggest that you are only seeing what you want to see. In other words you are after cheap shots and lack any critical thinking abilities yourself. Sorry you gonna have to do better than that! ;)

However I am glad you have actually bothered to look a bit deeper for a change, better than the other opinionated and poorly researched nonsense you have previously posted. ;)

Just to clarify things, my experiences do not mean I believe in: life after death, Aliens, God, miracles etc, etc.
If you read my introductory post it clearly lays out my interests and my slant on current research. If you that makes me some sort of believer in your opinion then you are clearly a un educated fool!
Hellboy
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 05:37

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby Azrael » 26 Aug 2009, 06:48

Hellboy wrote:Azrael wrote:
You claim in introduction thread to have had paranormal experiences. Thus you are a believer.


How is that evidence? I used the term paranormal to mean I have for the moment no rational or scientific explanation that can easily explain some of things I have experienced. If you bothered to read the rest of the post it quite categorically stated that I am not a believer or a skeptic, also I stated my specific interests. I find it strange that you omit such details in your argument; it would suggest that you are only seeing what you want to see. In other words you are after cheap shots and lack any critical thinking abilities yourself. Sorry you gonna have to do better than that! ;)

However I am glad you have actually bothered to look a bit deeper for a change, better than the other opinionated and poorly researched nonsense you have previously posted. ;)

Just to clarify things, my experiences do not mean I believe in: life after death, Aliens, God, miracles etc, etc.
If you read my introductory post it clearly lays out my interests and my slant on current research. If you that makes me some sort of believer in your opinion then you are clearly a un educated fool!


You use the term paranormal.Now whose backtracking? Why not say "unexplained", odd or numerous other adjectives? Just because you cannot explain personal experiences doesnt make them anyway paranormal.
I'm always very skeptical of any situation where someone's notability hinges on their connection to another notable person
Azrael
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 23 Jul 2009, 02:32

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby Hellboy » 26 Aug 2009, 14:23

Hellboy wrote:
The answer to last question is yes, however I do not like the term paranormal. I prefer the term unusual.


There you go, I used the term unusual not paranormal in my OP. So you are trying to make out I am using terms I did not, so you are wrong again! :lol:

Again did you bother to read the rest of the OP, errgh nope you just cherry picked what information you wanted to try and support, you already shaky position. Still you have no evidence for your false accusations!
Hellboy
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 05:37

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby highflyertoo » 28 Aug 2009, 10:46

I think Jeff Wagg should sit a Lie Detector Test conducted by an independent board of Scientists at a Science Convention as a ''novelty game'' between lectures , so they could say how Scientific or Not so Scientific a LDT really is.

Remember how Jeff Wagg did a MDC test to see if the woman could make him urinate, So sitting a LDT would be nothing unusual for Jeff Wagg the Science man.
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 09:57

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby ciscop » 01 Sep 2009, 15:57

actually that would be cool
i recomend putting it in next to a boot of phrenology and crystal therapy
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby highflyertoo » 03 Sep 2009, 20:53

This may come as a ''surprize'' to Jon Donnis and Prof Wag.... Rupert Sheldrake see's the Lie Detector Test as having scientific credibility.

Yes folks, Rupert Sheldrake is a Scientist and a real Skeptic. He's the Real Deal :D
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 09:57

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby ProfWag » 03 Sep 2009, 21:08

highflyertoo wrote:This may come as a ''surprize'' to Jon Donnis and Prof Wag.... Rupert Sheldrake see's the Lie Detector Test as having scientific credibility.

Yes folks, Rupert Sheldrake is a Scientist and a real Skeptic. He's the Real Deal :D

Highflyertoo, please refer me to one post I've made about a lie detector test, either for or against it. You can't? I didn't think so.
ProfWag
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby quantumparanormal » 03 Sep 2009, 23:46

Lie detectors aren't admissible in our courts as evidence. That's because they can be duped. My understanding is you have to believe it works for it to work. :roll:
Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
Image
quantumparanormal
 
Posts: 276
Joined: 24 Aug 2009, 05:09
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby highflyertoo » 04 Sep 2009, 09:47

ProfWag wrote:Is this website a forum to trash Randi and the JREF or is this a serious forum that seeks clarification concerning skeptical analysis as is the title of the website? There are so many more posts towards the million dollar challenge than there are serious discussions on the paranormal that it's ridiculous.
I just don't understand it.
Bottom line, if someone wants to think there is fraud in the JREF, then fine. Grab you a lawyer and go prove it or quite worrying about it. Otherwise, if you're not satisfied with his rules, then apply to show your paranormal abilities in one of the other dozen or so paranormal challenges that are out there. Don't worry about the money. If you win one of those other prizes, you'll become wealthy beyond your wildest dreams.
Now, how about some serious discussion on UFOs, psychics, or anything else that's really cool and a heck of a lot more fun to talk about.


Here's your post objecting to this thread titled ''Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?''
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 09:57

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby ProfWag » 04 Sep 2009, 18:49

highflyertoo wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Is this website a forum to trash Randi and the JREF or is this a serious forum that seeks clarification concerning skeptical analysis as is the title of the website? There are so many more posts towards the million dollar challenge than there are serious discussions on the paranormal that it's ridiculous.
I just don't understand it.
Bottom line, if someone wants to think there is fraud in the JREF, then fine. Grab you a lawyer and go prove it or quite worrying about it. Otherwise, if you're not satisfied with his rules, then apply to show your paranormal abilities in one of the other dozen or so paranormal challenges that are out there. Don't worry about the money. If you win one of those other prizes, you'll become wealthy beyond your wildest dreams.
Now, how about some serious discussion on UFOs, psychics, or anything else that's really cool and a heck of a lot more fun to talk about.


Here's your post objecting to this thread titled ''Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?''

Yep, it sure is my post. Like I said, where did I talk about a lie detector test, either for or against? I've read my own post three times now and still don't see anything about a lie detector. My post was just asking if this website is a place to trash Randi or a please to debate pseudoskeptics. Not one word about lie detectors.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby highflyertoo » 04 Sep 2009, 19:05

So now you ProfWag are saying my thread is not to Trash Randi when I was suggesting James should take the Lie Detector Test?

You are now therefore lying ProfWag.

In future complain to the management through the correct channels rather than using my thread as a platform ;)
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 09:57

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby ProfWag » 05 Sep 2009, 01:59

highflyertoo wrote:So now you ProfWag are saying my thread is not to Trash Randi when I was suggesting James should take the Lie Detector Test?

You are now therefore lying ProfWag.

In future complain to the management through the correct channels rather than using my thread as a platform ;)

I'm saying that you referred to me as saying I would be "surprized" that a scientist would speak out and say that a lie detector could have credibility in science. I was saying that I have never made a comment concerning the validity of a lie detector, one way or another. Hence, based on your post, I should not have been pointed out concerning the subject of a lie detector and you were trying to include me negatively in your "platform" when I have had nothing to say about the subject.
Based on your other comment, however, perhaps I should not have said that in this forum concerning trash talking about Randi as I was merely making an observation. Maybe I'll start a thread entitled "Observations from a 'so-called pseudo-skeptic'." ;-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby highflyertoo » 05 Sep 2009, 10:47

ProfWag wrote:
highflyertoo wrote:So now you ProfWag are saying my thread is not to Trash Randi when I was suggesting James should take the Lie Detector Test?

You are now therefore lying ProfWag.

In future complain to the management through the correct channels rather than using my thread as a platform ;)

I'm saying that you referred to me as saying I would be "surprized" that a scientist would speak out and say that a lie detector could have credibility in science. I was saying that I have never made a comment concerning the validity of a lie detector, one way or another. Hence, based on your post, I should not have been pointed out concerning the subject of a lie detector and you were trying to include me negatively in your "platform" when I have had nothing to say about the subject.
Based on your other comment, however, perhaps I should not have said that in this forum concerning trash talking about Randi as I was merely making an observation. Maybe I'll start a thread entitled "Observations from a 'so-called pseudo-skeptic'." ;-)


Now state the ''TRASH'' the people have supposedly written about Randi's fraudulent Million Dollar Challenge and Police Tapes?
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 09:57

Re: Would Randi take a Lie Detector Test?

Postby ProfWag » 05 Sep 2009, 19:26

My research has led me to conclude that the MDC is quite legitimate. I believe there may be a thread out there trashing it, but I'm not going to go there. If you want to start another one, go ahead. I think it's silly though. Too many other more important things to follow and research. I won't even look into the police tape thing. I have no personal interest in that at all.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

PreviousNext

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron