View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby ProfWag » 03 Nov 2009, 21:56

highflyertoo wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
highflyertoo wrote:
Crime Scene will win the Melbourne Cup today


So much for your psychic abilities highflyertoo...

(CNN) -- Shocking scored an upset victory on Tuesday at the Melbourne Cup, securing victory with a late surge at one of the world's great horse racing spectacles.

The four-year-old rallied in the final furlong to edge past Crime Scene at the Flemington race track in Melbourne, Australia.

Mourilyan also made a late run to claim third place.

Pre-race favorites Alcopop and defending champion Viewed, who was racing under top weight, finished sixth and seventh, respectively.

Godolphin-owned Crime Scene, ridden by Kerrin McEvoy, took up the running three furlongs out but Corey Brown gave the winner a perfect ride to score victory by three quarters of a length.

Brown had been on the runner up Bauer in 2008 and was delighted to go one better.

"Last year was very disappointing, and now I've finally won the Melbourne Cup," he told reporters.

"It's a dream come true, I can't describe the feeling," he added.

Shocking, who was sent off at odds of 9-1, became the first horse since Brew in 2000 to follow up victory in last Saturday's Lexus Stakes with success in Australia's biggest horse race.

Crime Scene's narrow defeat kept up a jinx for a British-based runners at the Melbourne Cup and only three internationally trained horses have captured the crown -- Vintage Crop (1993), Media Puzzle (2002) and Delta Blues (2006).


Yes , I made a shocking prediction. :lol:

If you'll pardon the pun. It would have been great had you actually picked this winner rather than the heavy favorite though. Oh well, my search for a psychic continues.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54






Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby NinjaPuppy » 03 Nov 2009, 21:57

Oooooh! PICK ME! PICK ME!
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby ProfWag » 03 Nov 2009, 22:05

NinjaPuppy wrote:Oooooh! PICK ME! PICK ME!

Certainly. NinjaPuppy, I see your hand raised high and confidently. Who will win and what will the final score be for tomorrow night's baseball World Series Game beetween Philadelphia and New York be?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby NinjaPuppy » 03 Nov 2009, 22:21

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Oooooh! PICK ME! PICK ME!

Certainly. NinjaPuppy, I see your hand raised high and confidently. Who will win and what will the final score be for tomorrow night's baseball World Series Game beetween Philadelphia and New York be?

Ummm, that's sports, right? Oh yeah, you said baseball.... that's the little round ball, not the brown ball with pointy edges right? Do I have to pick a state or do you want me to be more specific and pick a team from each state?
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby ProfWag » 03 Nov 2009, 23:46

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Oooooh! PICK ME! PICK ME!

Certainly. NinjaPuppy, I see your hand raised high and confidently. Who will win and what will the final score be for tomorrow night's baseball World Series Game beetween Philadelphia and New York be?

Ummm, that's sports, right? Oh yeah, you said baseball.... that's the little round ball, not the brown ball with pointy edges right? Do I have to pick a state or do you want me to be more specific and pick a team from each state?

Huh? Okay, disregard.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Nov 2009, 00:31

Disregard???? I don't think so!
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Nov 2009, 00:33

Phillies - 8 to 7.

Now if you want to know how I came up with that predicition, just ask.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby ProfWag » 04 Nov 2009, 04:33

NinjaPuppy wrote:Phillies - 8 to 7.

Now if you want to know how I came up with that predicition, just ask.

Uhhh, okay. I'll bite. How did you come up with Phillies 8 to 7 when just a post or two before, your were mumbling something about figuring out what states they came from and pointy brown balls?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Nov 2009, 05:05

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Phillies - 8 to 7.

Now if you want to know how I came up with that predicition, just ask.

Uhhh, okay. I'll bite. How did you come up with Phillies 8 to 7 when just a post or two before, your were mumbling something about figuring out what states they came from and pointy brown balls?

Since I'm not into sports of any kind I tend to get them mixed up. Considering that both baseball and football are now overlapping seasons, it's hard to keep them straight. Not to mention that some states have more than one football team. Something about divisions or whatever.

Besides, shouldn't the person making the prediction not know all that much about the subject? Aren't skeptics always calling foul when they do?

I chose my pick on wishful thinking. The hubs is a Phillies fan, so I decided I might as well root for his home team. He sure will be tonight. For some reason the number 7-8 popped into my head but I have noticed that scores are usually higher number first. Am I right? So I reversed the numbers. Not to mention it's in the ballpark for a baseball score.

Baseball = no math necessary when the players score.
Football = Higher scores based on what... 7 points / touchdown and then extra credit for doing more stuff
Baskeball = Usually really high scores, I have no idea how much points / basket because the sound of the sneakers on the court makes me antsy and I have to leave the room.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby ProfWag » 04 Nov 2009, 05:42

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Phillies - 8 to 7.

Now if you want to know how I came up with that predicition, just ask.

Uhhh, okay. I'll bite. How did you come up with Phillies 8 to 7 when just a post or two before, your were mumbling something about figuring out what states they came from and pointy brown balls?

Since I'm not into sports of any kind I tend to get them mixed up. Considering that both baseball and football are now overlapping seasons, it's hard to keep them straight. Not to mention that some states have more than one football team. Something about divisions or whatever.

Besides, shouldn't the person making the prediction not know all that much about the subject? Aren't skeptics always calling foul when they do?

I chose my pick on wishful thinking. The hubs is a Phillies fan, so I decided I might as well root for his home team. He sure will be tonight. For some reason the number 7-8 popped into my head but I have noticed that scores are usually higher number first. Am I right? So I reversed the numbers. Not to mention it's in the ballpark for a baseball score.

Baseball = no math necessary when the players score.
Football = Higher scores based on what... 7 points / touchdown and then extra credit for doing more stuff
Baskeball = Usually really high scores, I have no idea how much points / basket because the sound of the sneakers on the court makes me antsy and I have to leave the room.

Well then Ninja Puppy, good luck and hope you're right!
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Randi's Flim Flam Rules

Postby ciscop » 04 Nov 2009, 05:49

i hope phillies wins
so they tied the world series to 3-3
thats way more interesting

althought baseball is quite boring
too many off times and death time where nothing happens..
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Previous

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest