View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Was Randi Wrong about Uri Geller?

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: Was Randi Wrong about Uri Geller?

Postby highflyertoo » 04 Feb 2010, 10:20

The Skeptics Motto is to ''Whittle the Believers Belief'', so to create confussion in the Believers very own experiences of paranormal encounters, So the UNBELIEVERS can feel SAFE in their minds.

Being a believer in the paranormal '' really threatens'' the unbelievers comfort zone... a clash of interests.
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo

Postby ciscop » 04 Feb 2010, 10:41

so what you are saying
is that psychics ¨sometimes¨ cheat?
even when they have the ¨power¨
sometimes they choose to cheat?

hahahahahaa and believers complain skeptic laugh at their lack of intelligence
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Kevin Kane » 04 Feb 2010, 10:48

ProfWag wrote:You're asking if we can prove the impossible. That is not using critical thinking Kevin.
All I can do is remind people that Uri accepted a magicians award and the 2008 International Magic Convention. During his question/answer session, he expressed "regret" for labeling himself as a psychic during his youth and now prefers the term "mystifier."

He's replied to this in a German magazine:

"It means that I don't say 'it's supernatural', I say 'I'm a mystifier!' That's what I said. And the sceptics turned it around and said, 'Uri Geller said he's a magician!' I never said that." - UG

He's also stated that the paranormal isn't "paranormal" ... just normal. What he does is normal.

highflyertoo wrote:The Skeptics Motto is to ''Whittle the Believers Belief'', so to create confussion in the Believers very own experiences of paranormal encounters, So the UNBELIEVERS can feel SAFE in their minds.

Being a believer in the paranormal '' really threatens'' the unbelievers comfort zone... a clash of interests.

Exactly, except skeptics aren't unbelievers .. Skepticism is the belief system of amateur magicians and blind devotees of science.
Kevin Kane

Postby ciscop » 04 Feb 2010, 12:23

Kevin Kane wrote:Magic performers see the world as some sort of manual trick. Everything they don't understand must be a trick. Everything they do understand is a trick.

Thankfully Stephen Hawking can't perform magic tricks.

and believers think everything they see must be real
since they dont have a clue (because they are not skilled enought, intelligent enought or are simply like most people ignorants in the art of deception which is nothing to be ashamed of)

just dont expect me to belief some tricks of a magician
are real just because you were deceived
i know i wasnt
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Kevin Kane » 04 Feb 2010, 18:03

Harry Houdini wasn't a good scientist. Any guy who chains himself in a box to entertain others is probably a little off in the head.
Kevin Kane

Postby ProfWag » 04 Feb 2010, 21:56

Kevin Kane wrote:Harry Houdini wasn't a good scientist. Any guy who chains himself in a box to entertain others is probably a little off in the head.

Then so are all of the people who paid to see him do it.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Feb 2010, 22:02

ProfWag wrote:
Kevin Kane wrote:Harry Houdini wasn't a good scientist. Any guy who chains himself in a box to entertain others is probably a little off in the head.

Then so are all of the people who paid to see him do it.

Humans love a good disaster. Why do you think that many people go to see these 'extreme stunts'? It's a chance to perhaps see someone die. That's the draw. We are a very macabre species.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 04 Feb 2010, 23:14

Kevin Kane wrote:Exactly, except skeptics aren't unbelievers .. Skepticism is the belief system of amateur magicians and blind devotees of science.

Once again, I must clarify, skepticism is NOT a "belief system." It's a method of searching for the truth.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Feb 2010, 00:34

ProfWag wrote:
Kevin Kane wrote:Once again, I must clarify, skepticism is NOT a "belief system." It's a method of searching for the truth.

Yes but like everything, you have people who take it to extremes.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 05 Feb 2010, 00:39

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
Kevin Kane wrote:Once again, I must clarify, skepticism is NOT a "belief system." It's a method of searching for the truth.

Yes but like everything, you have people who take it to extremes.

I guess what I really don't get is that just because there is a crusty, grumpy old man who has little tolerance for absurdity doesn't mean that people like me who simply don't believe in the paranormal should have to get ridiculed simply for asking for proof of what would be life-altering, amazing, feats of abilities if shown to be factual.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Feb 2010, 00:49

That's stereotyping. Just because I'm a beautiful blonde doesn't mean I have a low IQ but you better believe there are plenty of people who assume that I am dumb as a rock.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 05 Feb 2010, 01:21

NinjaPuppy wrote:That's stereotyping. Just because I'm a beautiful blonde doesn't mean I have a low IQ but you better believe there are plenty of people who assume that I am dumb as a rock.

Yes! That's stereotyping. Just like when someone makes a post that says they are here to "debunk skeptics." Why? Is it because they think that all skeptics are like Randi? I don't know.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Feb 2010, 03:19

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:That's stereotyping. Just because I'm a beautiful blonde doesn't mean I have a low IQ but you better believe there are plenty of people who assume that I am dumb as a rock.

Yes! That's stereotyping. Just like when someone makes a post that says they are here to "debunk skeptics." Why? Is it because they think that all skeptics are like Randi? I don't know.

Skeptics do have a basic formula for debunking. It's what I believe you call, 'critical thinking'. It makes sense out of what can't be explained in most situations when applied scientifically and logically.

SCEPCOP's Treatise deal with 'pseudo-skeptics', not regular, good old run of the mill skeptics. I'll stick my neck out here and make a wild guess that 'debunkingskeptics.com was a choice made to keep the URL short, yet still somewhat explanitory. debunkingpseudoskeptics.com would have been a bit much.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 05 Feb 2010, 03:36

I might be wrong, and Scepcop, please correct me if I am, but I think he really wanted the website named:
http://www.thosebastardsatthejrefpissme ... yviews.com
But, I think it may have been too long of a title for people to remember...
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Feb 2010, 03:45

Very funny ProfWag. :lol:
NinjaPuppy

PreviousNext

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge