View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Video: Audience member confronts Randi and 800 skeptics

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: Video: Audience member confronts Randi and 800 skeptics

Postby General Zod » 23 Jul 2009, 13:33

antiskeptic wrote:
General Zod wrote:Since you consider yourself an open minded person, why do you object to making the forum available to people who disagree with you?

I do not trust skeptics. I have found them to repeatedly lie, protray things in the wrong context, be disrespectful, and just generally be a bunch of mean, hateful people. The skeptic movement is full of people who are like this, and the few who are not like this are apathetic or just uninformed about their own community. I believe that the posts that have come from skeptics on this board are excellent evidence in favor of my point. I insist that people play by the appropriate rules and have found that skeptics almost never do. I am open-minded to those who will play by the rules of well-reasoned, polite discussion. I believe that everyone else should be banned.

Well, "I do not trust skeptics" is a closed minded attitude. It's also closed minded to assume that skeptics are mean and hateful.

I don't really care to convince you otherwise, to be honest with you. If you take it as a sign of disrespect if I disagree or poke fun at your cherished opinions, that's up to you.
General Zod

Postby antiskeptic » 23 Jul 2009, 13:42

I do not take it as a sign of disrespect when someone says that they disagree with me. I do take it as a sign of disrespect when someone makes fun of me or what I believe.
No one knows how old the human race is exactly, but we can all agree that we should be old enough to know better.
antiskeptic

Postby General Zod » 23 Jul 2009, 13:57

antiskeptic wrote:I do not take it as a sign of disrespect when someone says that they disagree with me. I do take it as a sign of disrespect when someone makes fun of me or what I believe.

That's too bad. You might want to consider the possibility that you might be wrong about some things. I am wrong about some things, as is everyone else.

When someone makes fun of an opinion that you believe in, it's impossible to listen if your reaction is to take offense and demand an apology. This refusal to listen, learn something, and perhaps even change your viewpoint is the very definition of closed mindedness.
General Zod

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jul 2009, 22:04

General Zod wrote:Objective analysis: the video has been rated by 161 users in the YouTube community, with an average of 1.5 stars.

Don't you think it's probable that most of the viewers and raters are Randi fans? It certainly looks like it from the comments section.

Azrael, just because there are only a few members here doesn't mean this forum sucks. Many of us prefer QUALITY over quantity in terms of posts and posters.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jul 2009, 22:08

General Zod wrote:
antiskeptic wrote:I am proud to have been one of the two people who voted no on letting skeptics onto this board. I think that reading what someone like Azrael posted only strengthens my position. I think that Azrael is not interested in serious discussion and should be banned.

Your position that this forum should be as closed minded as possible has been duly noted for the record.

Inaccurate. Nowhere did antiskeptic advocate closed mindedness nor did he say that being closed minded was a good thing. You are putting words in his mouth. That is not a good thing.

BTW, tell me this. Why aren't most of these skeptics married? Are their personalities intolerable? Do they lack empathy, warmth, and compassion? They seem a bit cold to me. And not a typical lot at all. But a different breed.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby The Professor » 23 Jul 2009, 22:10

Of course you know that Azeal is a TROLL and he will also make up several other user names like he did on the Cafe and have conversations with himself :)

I'm sure you are seeing that here :)

If you check out my video's you'll see that Randi and the rest lied their asses off to try to avoid the truth!!!!

They said they'd have a DVD to prove that they were right but they've FAILED to produce one LMAO
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSED TO TEST FOR A MILLION DOLLARS
The Professor

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jul 2009, 22:21

General Zod wrote:
antiskeptic wrote:Do not put words in my mouth, General Zod. I do not appreciate it, nor do I appreciate being called "closed minded."

I'm criticizing your position rather than making a personal characterization, and I have not put any words in your mouth.

Since you consider yourself an open minded person, why do you object to making the forum available to people who disagree with you?

You're not making sense. You have put words in his mouth. Antiskeptic did not endorse nor advocate closed mindedness. You are nitpicking at straws that don't exist to make up for lack of substance. He also never advocated banning anyone who didn't agree with him. Lots of skeptics I know do this, they put words in other people's mouths and don't listen and NEVER EVER EVER admit that they're wrong, no matter what the facts are.

He merely said that some people, like Azrael, are trolls and not interested in serious discussion. That's what he said. Deal with THAT. Otherwise, it reveals major character flaws on your part, which I've seen time and time again. (Sigh)
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jul 2009, 22:24

Eteponge wrote:This is why I on the other hand voted that, "We should allow Skeptics, for the sake of balance and growth (if they have good counter-arguments to offer, we should hear them out and compare with the data). Not to do that would be falling into Confirmation Bias, and there's no learning in that." I'm against censoring skeptics, because that leads to stagnate learning, and Confirmation Bias (only reading material that agrees with you and your conclusions).

Azrael however, has come across as very rude, even to me merely asking honest questions about the Randi Tapes. There's a difference between a well informed skeptic with good counter-arguments and good manners and an obvious rude troll of a skeptic, which Azrael comes across as.

I agree. This is why I was "skeptical" about letting them on this forum. I agree with your assessment of Azrael's behavior so far. People like that contribute nothing and get annoying after a while. But once we ban them, they will spout to other skeptics that this forum cannot handle disagreement or take criticism and bans everyone who disagrees, etc. etc. and all those typical lies we hear from them. (Sigh)

You see how predictable they are?!

They are easy to debunk and tiresome and no fun after a while, cause they don't even pose a challenge, but make the same mistakes, fallacies and lies over and over and over again. That's what I got tired of long ago. Now it's happening again, just as predicted.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jul 2009, 22:32

General Zod wrote:
antiskeptic wrote:I do not trust skeptics. I have found them to repeatedly lie, protray things in the wrong context, be disrespectful, and just generally be a bunch of mean, hateful people. The skeptic movement is full of people who are like this, and the few who are not like this are apathetic or just uninformed about their own community. I believe that the posts that have come from skeptics on this board are excellent evidence in favor of my point. I insist that people play by the appropriate rules and have found that skeptics almost never do. I am open-minded to those who will play by the rules of well-reasoned, polite discussion. I believe that everyone else should be banned.

Well, "I do not trust skeptics" is a closed minded attitude. It's also closed minded to assume that skeptics are mean and hateful.

I don't really care to convince you otherwise, to be honest with you. If you take it as a sign of disrespect if I disagree or poke fun at your cherished opinions, that's up to you.

It is not. He is basing his mistrust based on personal experience. If you touch a fire with your hand and keep getting burned, would it be "closed minded" not to want to touch the fire anymore? lol Get real.

If he had no experience with skeptics and never conversed with them and suddenly said he doesn't trust them due to what he heard from others, then that would be closed minded yeah. But he isn't. He is basing his assertion based on the skeptics' BEHAVIOR, WORDS and ACTIONS.

Many public media skeptics do say mean and hateful things. Randi is known for this. It's in his words on his newsletters. And in his emails. Why deny it? It's so obvious. Richard Dawkins makes many hateful remarks. So does Martin Gardner. And so do thousands of JREF forum posters as well. And SGU posters and skeptico.com posters.

I'll admit that some skeptics are much less hateful and more civil, like Michael Shermer and Ray Hyman, for example. But many of them ARE mean and hateful. Their words and actions show that. How is it closed minded to call out the obvious?

Dude you are weird, seriously.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jul 2009, 22:37

General Zod wrote:
antiskeptic wrote:I do not take it as a sign of disrespect when someone says that they disagree with me. I do take it as a sign of disrespect when someone makes fun of me or what I believe.

That's too bad. You might want to consider the possibility that you might be wrong about some things. I am wrong about some things, as is everyone else.

When someone makes fun of an opinion that you believe in, it's impossible to listen if your reaction is to take offense and demand an apology. This refusal to listen, learn something, and perhaps even change your viewpoint is the very definition of closed mindedness.

You are missing the point again. NO ONE here is claiming to be infallible and never wrong. True skeptics will question their own beliefs too, don't forget that. I'm sure antiskeptic does that too. But you gotta give valid reasons and evidence or well thought out arguments why someone is wrong or generally wrong.

How is it "closed minded" to get tired of those who present pointless insults rather than any substance? If you closed your front door on an annoying heckler with nothing worthy to offer, would that be "closed minded"?

The offense and demand for apology you refer to was when you made a joke about being ordered to come here by the NWO headquarters. It was a joke and did not contain anything that should make one learn something or change their viewpoints.

If you want us to learn something or change our viewpoints, then present evidence or logical reasons, not just chanting dogmatic mantras over and over again, or put words into people's mouths (like you did with antiskeptic earlier) or accuse others of things they didn't do. That is wrong, illogical and doesn't make sense.

Think about it. Do some introspection, if you're sane that is... And I'm beginning to wonder cause I'm appalled at the lack of simple common sense from skeptics...
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Azrael » 24 Jul 2009, 00:54

The Professor wrote:Of course you know that Azeal is a TROLL and he will also make up several other user names like he did on the Cafe and have conversations with himself :)

I'm sure you are seeing that here :)

Of course you will have proof of all this. I have one username on every forum. You were busted for making this claim on Magic Cafe and same will happen here. Prove I have multiple IDs.
If you check out my video's you'll see that Randi and the rest lied their asses off to try to avoid the truth!!!!

They said they'd have a DVD to prove that they were right but they've FAILED to produce one LMAO

If you check your videos you will notice you are insane. And that not one person on whole of YouTube agrees with you.And my video about your lies has more views! LMAO.
Provide proof for your claims about me. Meanwhile this forum can enjoy some crickets. :lol:
I'm always very skeptical of any situation where someone's notability hinges on their connection to another notable person
Azrael

Postby General Zod » 24 Jul 2009, 03:47

Scepcop wrote:You're not making sense. You have put words in his mouth. Antiskeptic did not endorse nor advocate closed mindedness. You are nitpicking at straws that don't exist to make up for lack of substance. He also never advocated banning anyone who didn't agree with him. Lots of skeptics I know do this, they put words in other people's mouths and don't listen and NEVER EVER EVER admit that they're wrong, no matter what the facts are.

He merely said that some people, like Azrael, are trolls and not interested in serious discussion. That's what he said. Deal with THAT. Otherwise, it reveals major character flaws on your part, which I've seen time and time again. (Sigh)

For the record, here's what Antiskeptic said:

Antiskeptic wrote:I think that Azrael is not interested in serious discussion and should be banned.

Antiskeptic has called for summarily banning two forum members he identifies as skeptics- Azrael for criticizing the video and myself for making fun of NWO conspiracy theories (and subsequently refusing to apologize to him). I interpret this as advocating the banning of forum members who disagree with him. I don't know how else to interpret these statements.
General Zod

Postby General Zod » 24 Jul 2009, 03:55

Scepcop wrote:If you want us to learn something or change our viewpoints, then present evidence or logical reasons, not just chanting dogmatic mantras over and over again, or put words into people's mouths (like you did with antiskeptic earlier) or accuse others of things they didn't do. That is wrong, illogical and doesn't make sense.

Please cite an instance where I "chanted" any dogmatic mantras, even once. Please also cite where I have put words in Antiskeptic's mouth- i.e. made assertions regarding him not backed up by his own statements.

As you say, accusing others of things they didn't do is wrong, illogical, and doesn't make sense.
General Zod

Postby The Professor » 24 Jul 2009, 11:48

The TROLLS agenda is to misdirect, derail, or delete threads in which their lack of logic is being revealed. Like this one!

It's their MO on forums.
They also like to call folks names. Not just funny things like LOONY but deeper and nasty things. On a recent internet broadcast by the JREF they were allowing their members to call a poor girl the C-Word repeatedly and even WORSE if that's possible.
The JREF paid to have it broadcast on the net while the poor girl was being tested by Banachek.
The JREF could have banned the bad mouthers (like they did me) but they chose to allow it!!!!!
Simply SICK!!!!!

But they Open Mouth Insert Foot so much it's actually funny. AND TRANSPARENT!!!!!!

These guys are also being exposed openly on the Alchemy Moon site :)

They are losing the battle!!!!!
The Professor

Postby The Professor » 24 Jul 2009, 11:58

There are many people going to DragonCon THIS year that have now heard the Truth on the recordings.

The guy won't be alone !

http://www.uploadpedia.com/3015K1KO9LHD ... i-zip.html
The Professor

PreviousNext

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge