View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Video: Audience member confronts Randi and 800 skeptics

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Video: Audience member confronts Randi and 800 skeptics

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jul 2009, 02:08

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Video: Audience member confronts Randi and 800 skeptics

Postby Azrael » 23 Jul 2009, 02:44

Scepcop wrote:

Would you like a link to where this debated and thouroughly explained? Or would you rather believe any old twaddle Professor tells you? :cry:
I'm always very skeptical of any situation where someone's notability hinges on their connection to another notable person
Azrael

Postby Eteponge » 23 Jul 2009, 03:13

Listen to all of the Overzealous Randi-ite True Disbelievers (TM) praising and cheering Randi and Friends (TM) with every response they make (regardless of whether or not it holds water), and shouting / laughing down the person making critical inquiry towards them. Notice also the room of Randi-ites laughing their asses off when the guy says that he too is a Skeptic.

It was as if I was watching a video where some guy confronts a Religious Leader about dishonest claims, and their Overzealous Flock shouts / laughs them down when they try to ask questions.

I have no opinion of the people they are referring to in the video who want to take the challenge (I know nothing about them, nor of their alleged paranormal claims), but the actions of the crowd is like that of being in a religious revival tent where the pastor is being confronted by a Skeptic.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby Azrael » 23 Jul 2009, 03:49

They are laughin at a guy making a total arse of himself,regardless of any skeptical beliefs or loyalties towards Randi. Just like a heckler at a comedy show would get laughed at and jeered. There is a way to present your displeasure and a way to look a tit. The guy on the video(both presenting it and the one asking questions)look a tit.
I'm always very skeptical of any situation where someone's notability hinges on their connection to another notable person
Azrael

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jul 2009, 04:51

Azrael wrote:They are laughin at a guy making a total arse of himself,regardless of any skeptical beliefs or loyalties towards Randi. Just like a heckler at a comedy show would get laughed at and jeered. There is a way to present your displeasure and a way to look a tit. The guy on the video(both presenting it and the one asking questions)look a tit.

Yeah but the crowd is biased, and as Eteponge observed, they are more like a religious cult than average laypeople. Normal people do not laugh when someone says "I'm a skeptic" yet challenges Randi. To them, that's anathema. It's also rude to yell "Sit down!" too. That's not how mature professional rational people behave at conferences. It was just unjustified, regardless of whether the audience member was right or wrong.

Your post Azrael, is one of pure opinion, not calm rational objective analysis. That's not the type I want to draw here. How did 5 or 6 skeptics get here all at once?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby General Zod » 23 Jul 2009, 06:13

Objective analysis: the video has been rated by 161 users in the YouTube community, with an average of 1.5 stars.
General Zod

Postby Azrael » 23 Jul 2009, 06:18

Scepcop wrote:
Azrael wrote:They are laughin at a guy making a total arse of himself,regardless of any skeptical beliefs or loyalties towards Randi. Just like a heckler at a comedy show would get laughed at and jeered. There is a way to present your displeasure and a way to look a tit. The guy on the video(both presenting it and the one asking questions)look a tit.

Yeah but the crowd is biased, and as Eteponge observed, they are more like a religious cult than average laypeople. Normal people do not laugh when someone says "I'm a skeptic" yet challenges Randi.

His line of questions and riduculous ones at that led him to riducule. He had no idea what he was talking about.
To them, that's anathema. It's also rude to yell "Sit down!" too. That's not how mature professional rational people behave at conferences. It was just unjustified, regardless of whether the audience member was right or wrong.

Your post Azrael, is one of pure opinion, not calm rational objective analysis. That's not the type I want to draw here. How did 5 or 6 skeptics get here all at once?

Why are you not skeptics on this board? Now the forum has 8 members! What wold you like me to analyze? A jerk in the audience asking dumb questions that someone ele has written for him and prompted him to ask, because they didn't have the balls to do it themselves(Jim Callahan)?

There I've analyzed it. :D
Azrael

Postby antiskeptic » 23 Jul 2009, 10:20

I am proud to have been one of the two people who voted no on letting skeptics onto this board. I think that reading what someone like Azrael posted only strengthens my position. I think that Azrael is not interested in serious discussion and should be banned.
No one knows how old the human race is exactly, but we can all agree that we should be old enough to know better.
antiskeptic

Postby antiskeptic » 23 Jul 2009, 10:24

General Zod wrote:Objective analysis: the video has been rated by 161 users in the YouTube community, with an average of 1.5 stars.

I do not believe that this is objective analysis. There are too many potential biases in the sample group of people who wanted to vote.
No one knows how old the human race is exactly, but we can all agree that we should be old enough to know better.
antiskeptic

Postby General Zod » 23 Jul 2009, 11:07

antiskeptic wrote:I am proud to have been one of the two people who voted no on letting skeptics onto this board. I think that reading what someone like Azrael posted only strengthens my position. I think that Azrael is not interested in serious discussion and should be banned.

Your position that this forum should be as closed minded as possible has been duly noted for the record.
General Zod

Postby antiskeptic » 23 Jul 2009, 12:12

Do not put words in my mouth, General Zod. I do not appreciate it, nor do I appreciate being called "closed minded."
antiskeptic

Postby General Zod » 23 Jul 2009, 12:50

antiskeptic wrote:Do not put words in my mouth, General Zod. I do not appreciate it, nor do I appreciate being called "closed minded."

I'm criticizing your position rather than making a personal characterization, and I have not put any words in your mouth.

Since you consider yourself an open minded person, why do you object to making the forum available to people who disagree with you?
General Zod

Postby Eteponge » 23 Jul 2009, 12:55

General Zod wrote:
antiskeptic wrote:I am proud to have been one of the two people who voted no on letting skeptics onto this board. I think that reading what someone like Azrael posted only strengthens my position. I think that Azrael is not interested in serious discussion and should be banned.

Your position that this forum should be as closed minded as possible has been duly noted for the record.

This is why I on the other hand voted that, "We should allow Skeptics, for the sake of balance and growth (if they have good counter-arguments to offer, we should hear them out and compare with the data). Not to do that would be falling into Confirmation Bias, and there's no learning in that." I'm against censoring skeptics, because that leads to stagnate learning, and Confirmation Bias (only reading material that agrees with you and your conclusions).

Azrael however, has come across as very rude, even to me merely asking honest questions about the Randi Tapes. There's a difference between a well informed skeptic with good counter-arguments and good manners and an obvious rude troll of a skeptic, which Azrael comes across as.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby antiskeptic » 23 Jul 2009, 13:01

General Zod wrote:Since you consider yourself an open minded person, why do you object to making the forum available to people who disagree with you?

I do not trust skeptics. I have found them to repeatedly lie, protray things in the wrong context, be disrespectful, and just generally be a bunch of mean, hateful people. The skeptic movement is full of people who are like this, and the few who are not like this are apathetic or just uninformed about their own community. I believe that the posts that have come from skeptics on this board are excellent evidence in favor of my point. I insist that people play by the appropriate rules and have found that skeptics almost never do. I am open-minded to those who will play by the rules of well-reasoned, polite discussion. I believe that everyone else should be banned.
antiskeptic

Postby antiskeptic » 23 Jul 2009, 13:14

Eteponge wrote:This is why I on the other hand voted that, "We should allow Skeptics, for the sake of balance and growth (if they have good counter-arguments to offer, we should hear them out and compare with the data). Not to do that would be falling into Confirmation Bias, and there's no learning in that." I'm against censoring skeptics, because that leads to stagnate learning, and Confirmation Bias (only reading material that agrees with you and your conclusions).

I disagree with this. I believe that a lot of people take this position without questioning it. I am not necessarily accusing you of not questioning this position, Eteponge, but I have known many others who have taken it on faith that the only way for people to adequately question their own positions is by arguing with people who have the opposite position. I do not believe that this is the case with me or anybody else who possesses the appropriate level of open-mindedness. I believe that I have the ability to be able to adequately question my own position and review other possibilities without the need for someone else to give their reasoning to me as to why they think that I am wrong, and I especially do not need someone to call me a "woo-peddler," "crank," "blank idiot," or any other disrespectful term that most skeptics love to call people who believe in anything non-mainstream.
antiskeptic

Next

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge