View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Salvia divinorum

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

Salvia divinorum

Postby Nostradamus » 08 Mar 2010, 11:46

From http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times/courier_times_news_details/article/28/2010/february/08/state-senator-puts-hit-on-hallucinogenic-herb.html

Name this substance: It causes hallucinations and creates the perception that one is having profound insights.
LSD? "Magic" mushrooms?
Nope.

It's salvia divinorum.

Typically, salvia divinorum is chewed or smoked. After taking the herb, users have reported experiencing hallucinations and feelings of insight. The "high" can last for several minutes to a half-hour or so.

Nonetheless, salvia divinorum has proponents, including those who point to Mazatec shamans in Mexico who use the herb religiously in spiritual cleansing practices.

The salvia divinorum Research and Information Center Web site says the plant, if used properly, induces a state of "divine inebriation."

"Salvia divinorum is an extraordinary herb used in shamanism, divination, healing, meditation, and the exploration of consciousness," says the homepage of the center's Web site, which is available in 50 languages. "It should always be used in a thoughtful, intelligent manner, and only by responsible adults that are of sound mind and clear intent."

The center's Web site contains a "user's guide," which stresses that salvia divinorum is not a recreational drug. The guide recommends users have a trusted sober person watch over them while they partake. Never drive while in a salvia-induced state, the guide warns, and stay away from heights and open flames. Lying down is also recommend.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Re: Salvia divinorum

Postby Nostradamus » 09 Mar 2010, 03:33

From NPR http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5290545
Legal Herb Hallucinogen Draws Teens, Critics

In other words, if the dose is strong enough, users take an instantaneous trip to another time and place, an experience many first-time users of salvia find too intense, disturbing and even frightening.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum
Salvia divinorum has a long and continued tradition of religious use as an entheogen by Mazatec shamans, who use it to facilitate visionary states of consciousness during spiritual healing sessions.[1] Its native habitat is within cloud forest in the isolated Sierra Mazateca of Oaxaca, Mexico, growing in shady and moist locations.

Salvia divinorum is native to certain areas of the Sierra Mazateca in Oaxaca, Mexico, where it is still used by the Mazatec. While it is primarily taken to facilitate shamanic visions in the context of curing or divination, it is also used remedially at lower dosages.

I'm fascinated by this plant because I have heard of things like peyote and LSD to reach an altered state, but not this plant.
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Mar 2010, 03:39

I believe that there are many plants that grow wild that can give you a good buzz or better. The trick is know which ones might kill you in the process if you are not aquainted with their potency.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 09 Mar 2010, 03:41

NinjaPuppy wrote:I believe that there are many plants that grow wild that can give you a good buzz or better. The trick is know which ones might kill you in the process if you are not aquainted with their potency.

Okay everyone, lookout! NinjaPuppy is online and prowling around. Be on your best behavior! ;-)
(I'm just teasing you Ninja. I was missing you this morning.)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Mar 2010, 03:46

Missing me? Who'da thunk? I had a meeting this morning. There are times when I actually have to work. However few and far between they may be. :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 09 Mar 2010, 04:01

I like the name of this plant. My other favorite is ilex vomitoria. Does that describe the plant's effect or not?
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Mar 2010, 04:03

I think ilex is 'holly' and of course the vomit part probably gives a clue. I will now google to see if memory serves me or not.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Mar 2010, 04:06

Ooooh, trick question you have there ND. I was right on the 'holly' part.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Mar 2010, 04:07

American Indians used them to prepare a tea, which they drank in large quantities ceremonially and then vomited back up, lending the plant its species name, vomitoria. The vomiting was self-induced or because of other ingredients added; it doesnt actually cause vomiting. Tribes from the interior traveled to the coast in large numbers each spring to partake of this tonic, and it was also a common hospitality drink among many groups. It remained popular as such among southeastern Americans into the 20th century and is still occasionally consumed today, with a flavor resembling another holly drink, the South American yerba mate, from Ilex paraguariensis.

[Bold and purple is mine]
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 09 Mar 2010, 05:16

If you live in Arkansas you can see some nice examples of the ilex tree planted at Hot Springs National Park. The signs at the park do claim emetic properties for the tree's sap.
Nostradamus

Postby NucleicAcid » 29 Mar 2010, 07:13

That's fascinating...we've always called those plants Bird Berries, with the insight of "Don't eat those, you'll get sick."

I kinda wanna try them now...

Also, salvia is pretty sweet.
Hey, you there. Yes, you. Read more journal articles.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 Mar 2010, 19:15

There is also a nice ilex garden in NJ at Rutgers. I had the opportunity to learn about the holly from Dr. Orton. http://agproducts.rutgers.edu/dr_orton.html
NinjaPuppy

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine