View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

OMG .. the Homeopaths are Coming!!!

Discussions about Holistic Health and Alternative Medicine.

Re: OMG .. the Homeopaths are Coming!!!

Postby ProfWag » 05 Mar 2010, 04:09

Kevin Kane wrote:
Nostradamus wrote:
As the linked to article pointed out Darwin realized that dogs could detect the scent of an animal in concentrations far below what he used on the plant. Detection does not suggest anything other than detection.

It was more than detection. It was detection and response. Cellular communication .. without a nervous system, acting in concert to defend the plant .. at homeopathic levels.

I can pick up a rock, rub it in my hands for a bit, throw it over a barn and into a corn field, and my yellow lab "Mojo" will run out, find that same rock, and bring it back to me. It may take him 5 or 10 minutes, but he finds it. Quite amazing actually. Nothing paranormal or homeopathic about it, just an amazing nose. 'Course, I can type better than he does though.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2010, 04:48

ProfWag wrote:I can pick up a rock, rub it in my hands for a bit, throw it over a barn and into a corn field, and my yellow lab "Mojo" will run out, find that same rock, and bring it back to me. It may take him 5 or 10 minutes, but he finds it. Quite amazing actually. Nothing paranormal or homeopathic about it, just an amazing nose. 'Course, I can type better than he does though.

So you are saying that your dog smells better than you do? :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 05 Mar 2010, 05:07

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:I can pick up a rock, rub it in my hands for a bit, throw it over a barn and into a corn field, and my yellow lab "Mojo" will run out, find that same rock, and bring it back to me. It may take him 5 or 10 minutes, but he finds it. Quite amazing actually. Nothing paranormal or homeopathic about it, just an amazing nose. 'Course, I can type better than he does though.

So you are saying that your dog smells better than you do? :lol:

Wellllllll, that's one way of putting it. Yes.
ProfWag

Postby Kevin Kane » 05 Mar 2010, 05:14

Dogs can be trained to detect bombs, alert the system, prevent terrorism, save lives.

Cells can be trained to detect poisons, alert the system, prevent disease, save lives.
Kevin Kane

Postby ciscop » 05 Mar 2010, 05:17

WHAT?!?!?!?
:shock:
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 05 Mar 2010, 05:19

Kevin Kane wrote:
Dogs can be trained to detect bombs, alert the system, prevent terrorism, save lives.

Cells can be trained to detect poisons, alert the system, prevent disease, save lives.

Excellent observation Kevin! Why just last weekend, I gave the command to a cell in my body to roll over, play dead, and fetch and I'll be doggone if that's not what that little cell did. Unfortunately, I had been at the computer poker bar for most of the day so I can't honestly say I remember how many treats it took before that cell cooperated.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2010, 05:52

I've commanded many a brain cell to die. Usually with the help of Jack Daniels.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 05 Mar 2010, 05:53

Yes, that was the point of his speech. To make pharmacology more selective and tailored to the individual. A move not supported by the industry. He went out on a limb and fell off. His peers don't endorse his message, his revelation of dirty secrets, and it's implications.

This is a misrepresentation of what he stated. So now you've made a fool of yourself twice. You claim that his peers don't endorse his message is nonsense since everyone is chomping at the bit to get more of their research into a position to sell. Everyone in the industry knew that this was the case. He was just the first to make it formal statement.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 05 Mar 2010, 05:54

NJ alcohol does not kill brain cells. That's a common misunderstanding about the effects of alcohol on neurons.
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2010, 05:56

But...... but...... but........ I have PROOF! It's 100 PROOF, but none the less proof!
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 05 Mar 2010, 05:57

It was more than detection. It was detection and response. Cellular communication .. without a nervous system, acting in concert to defendthe plant .. at homeopathic levels.

Another nonsense statement! Who would have thought that possible.

Detection implies response. Apparently you are unaware of this.
Homeopathic levels? Ha ha ha. It was much too concentrated to be considered homeopathic.

The fact that you understand that a plant does not have a nervous system is one of the few correct statements you've made. Congratulations!
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 05 Mar 2010, 05:58

People that die of alcoholism have the same number of neurons as other people.
Nostradamus

Postby Kevin Kane » 05 Mar 2010, 07:36

Nostradamus wrote:
Another nonsense statement! Who would have thought that possible.

Detection implies response. Apparently you are unaware of this.
Homeopathic levels? Ha ha ha. It was much too concentrated to be considered homeopathic.

Passive detection does not imply response, and it sure doesn't imply defense procedures.

It would fall into the successive homeopathic ranges, with 1X = 1 part in 10. This is much smaller than 1X.

Nostradamus wrote:This is a misrepresentation of what he stated. So now you've made a fool of yourself twice. You claim that his peers don't endorse his message is nonsense since everyone is chomping at the bit to get more of their research into a position to sell. Everyone in the industry knew that this was the case. He was just the first to make it formal statement.

um ..he was making his case for pharmacogenetics by revealing how ineffective pharmacology is. A gaffe. PGx medicine is in it's infancy. He's since left GKS, ran into some government pressure, and returned to academic R&D.

*shakes head .. steps slowly away from crazy skeptic*
Kevin Kane

Postby ciscop » 05 Mar 2010, 14:48

Nostradamus wrote:People that die of alcoholism have the same number of neurons as other people.

people that die of alcoholism also have funnier anecdotes
:lol:

alcoholics and proctologist
they have the best stories around..
still waiting for the day ill meet a drunk proctologist

that will be my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Kevin Kane » 06 Mar 2010, 08:12

Let's see if I can do a very rough conversion to homeopathic measures.

1 part per 4,000,000 per grain x 50 (rough conservative equivalent of a grain to an average drop of water) x 90,000 drops per gallon x 31 gallons.

200,000,000 x 90,000 x 31 = 1 part per 558,000,000,000,000 = 12X / 6C range of homeopathic dilutions.

According to wikipedia, early (Darwin era) homeopaths rarely went beyond the 12X limit. But Darwin was confident that 20,000,000th of a grain would also work:

1 part per 2,790,000,000,000,000 = 15X homeopathic dilution.

This amount doesn't appear to have been tested by Darwin, but appears as a feasable conviction.

Here's a question for the Darwin experiment. Did the small amount of water that was applied to the plant leaf, causing it to react (without a nervous system), contain any molecules of ammonium salt?

Maybe .. maybe not, depending upon:
A: How dissolved the nitrogen matter was .. ie .. did Darwin shake, stir or tap the water to distribute the ammonium salt?
B: Chance.

Darwin asserts, based on plant reaction and repeated testing, that some of the salt must have been in the water he applied to the leaf. But this is not proven fact. Darwin assumed that if the plant reacted to the water, the water must have ammonium molecules in it. But it's entirely possible that the water contained no salt molecules whatsoever.
Kevin Kane

PreviousNext

Return to Holistic Health / Alternative Medicine