View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why Randi, Shermer and the CSICOPers are not Real Skeptics

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

Re: Why Randi, Shermer and the CSICOPers are not Real Skeptics

Postby Kevin Kane » 09 Mar 2010, 01:06

Magic tricks are imitations of the paranormal, just as skeptics are imitations of rational thinkers.

Asking for evidence is not rational thinking?

Asking for evidence? Laziness. Find your own evidence.

Skeptics have lots of opinions about stuff that they shouldn't. For instance, homeopathy is a choice for patient and doctor .. and no one else. Stating their opinion is acceptable, but attempting to impose their skeptical belief on the doctor or patient is not rational.
Kevin Kane

Postby ProfWag » 09 Mar 2010, 01:16

Kevin Kane wrote:
Magic tricks are imitations of the paranormal, just as skeptics are imitations of rational thinkers.

Skeptics have lots of opinions about stuff that they shouldn't. For instance, homeopathy is a choice for patient and doctor .. and no one else. Stating their opinion is acceptable, but attempting to impose their skeptical belief on the doctor or patient is not rational.

I agree with Kevin! At least, on one sentence. He says "homeopathy is a choice for patient and doctor .. and no one else." That is true. What's unfortunate is that most people who take homeopathic medicine don't go to doctors. They buy this stuff off the shelf because they are not prescriptive in nature. My doctors do not believe in homeopaths. So, at least until I get a new doctor, then I won't either.

And let's address this sentence: "Asking for evidence? Laziness. Find your own evidence." This is rather comical, don't you think? Let's say I claim that I can make a car levitate with my mind. Obviously, you would want evidence for that. But my comeback is that you must be lazy and that you should find your own evidence for my claim. See how silly your statement is? You make the claim, you supply the evidence. If you make a false claim, then we skeptics are here to clarify.
ProfWag

Postby Nostradamus » 09 Mar 2010, 01:42

You make a claim you defend it. You don't want to defend it, then its an unsupported opinion of little value.

Actually there are laws in the US to protect people from medical abuse and frauds. Medicine is a heavily regulated industry. There are lots of rules governing healthcare from who can make a diagnosis to what medicines can be prescribed. There are lots and lots of rules. These rules definitely affect the doctor-patient relationship. So your claim is simply wrong.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Kevin Kane » 09 Mar 2010, 07:10

I'm sure libertarians, and many americans, would disagree with the idea of imposing government control on safe substances.
Kevin Kane

Postby Nostradamus » 09 Mar 2010, 10:25

I'm sure libertarians, and many americans, would disagree with the idea of imposing government control on safe substances.

Some do. Someone always does.
Nostradamus

Postby Kubla Khan » 09 Mar 2010, 23:54

Kevin Kane wrote:

Kevin, if you make a claim, you are expected to bring the evidence to support it. That's all that skeptics want.

Except that the doctor is required, by law, to practice medicine in such a way as to prevent harm to the patient, and homeopathy causes harm.
Weave a circle 'round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.
- Samuel Coleridge, "Kubla Khan"
Kubla Khan

Postby Nostradamus » 10 Mar 2010, 00:01

Thanks for making this clear Kubla.
Nostradamus

Postby Kubla Khan » 10 Mar 2010, 01:54

Nostradamus wrote:Thanks for making this clear Kubla.

No problem.
Weave a circle 'round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.
- Samuel Coleridge, "Kubla Khan"
Kubla Khan

Previous

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies