View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

The Psychology of the Skeptic

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

Re: The Psychology of the Skeptic

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Oct 2012, 20:28

really? wrote:Gentlemen ? Where ?

I know for a fact that ProfWag is an Officer and a Gentleman (oh that Richard Gere is such a cutie) and Arouet certainly demonstrates gentlemanly traits and has never led me to believe otherwise.

Really? are you saying you're not a gentleman or that you are are not of the male persuasion? Or both?
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 13 Oct 2012, 22:22

really? wrote:
Scepcop wrote:Check this out:

A five-minute text-to-animation short, in which a real scientist confronts a self-styled skeptic.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7618367/im-a-skeptic

Winston you are a bit mistaken. That is a caricature of a skeptic. You think a skeptic should never make up their mind or in other words a skeptic must forever remain undecided whether something is plausible or not plausible. That is not the case. Skeptics will casually assume this or that is not plausible if this or that lacks credibility. And many areas of interest ( repeatedly show up ad nauseum) to the believer fall into that category, such as:
the crystal skulls
Moon Hoax
Lockness Monster
Crop circles
Astrology
QM and consciousness
UFO equals extraterrestrial spacecraft
But things like the Ganzfeld experiments aren't casually dismissed, but are debated ardently.

I think the pseudosceps are as much in la la land as the wackiest CTers, only it's a different la la land. (Only the moon hoax in that list has a great deal of compelling evidence to suggest it is true.)
SydneyPSIder

Postby really? » 14 Oct 2012, 00:13

NinjaPuppy wrote:

I know for a fact that ProfWag is an Officer and a Gentleman (oh that Richard Gere is such a cutie) and Arouet certainly demonstrates gentlemanly traits and has never led me to believe otherwise.

Really? are you saying you're not a gentleman or that you are are not of the male persuasion? Or both?

I was being playful. And it was a reference to The Three Stooges. Not saying PW, Ar and I are stooges though.
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 14 Oct 2012, 02:44

really? wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:

I was being playful. And it was a reference to The Three Stooges. Not saying PW, Ar and I are stooges though.

Ah, yes I see the resemblance now. However, it's not the Three Stooges, it's the Six Stooges.

Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Curly Howard, Shemp Howard, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita.

Taken from: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/ ... z29Cq7nqec

Which one are you?
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 15 Dec 2012, 03:17

justintime wrote:So I ask. Why do Skeptics criticize things they know little about? Why are they so eager to solicit the moderators help in silencing new members because they feel threatened. That pointed back to their insecurity as well as their poor rhetorical skills. Also added to my theory.

In a vain attempt to answer a question that I'm not sure yet is valid, but I think it's partially what you mention later in your post (below). I think skeptics get frustrated because people read something and believe it without using their critical thinking skills. People join forums all the time and make remarkable claims such as "I know ghosts are real," "I found Bigfoot," "I know the Gov't has ETs" etc. What gets frustrating for skeptics is that these people make these claims without going through a "Process" as Dr. Shermer mentions. They don't look at alternate explanations, rather insist on believing their source of information is the only one and refuse to believe that a more plausable explanation is possible. People (okay, skeptics) get frustrated with that as it's a common, everyday thing.
justintime wrote:
What is this process that contributes to so much insecurity. Dr Shermer. "Skepticism is not a position, it is a process."

However, in defense of skeptics a bit, I think that regardless of the subject forum, when someone with conflicting views goes on a website forum, they will get mercifully attacked. I don't think it's just skeptics. Imagine me, a person who is a staunch believer of gun control, were to go on the NRA's website and spout off about why people don't need more than one rifle for hunting and one pistal for self defense, and they certainly don't need an arcenal of ouzi's...
Or, take an unbiased, thorough search through this forum and formulate your own opinion who is more harsh towards others, those that are more "believers" or those that are more skeptical.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Dec 2012, 03:42

Welcome justintime. I like the way you think.

ProfWag I going to pick apart your quote a bit and yes, I know you're on the injured list right now (both physically and mentally) so don't take it personally.

In a vain attempt to answer a question that I'm not sure yet is valid,

Let me stop here and ask... since when does a question need to be valid? I mean, it's just a freakin' question.

but I think it's partially what you mention later in your post (below). I think skeptics get frustrated because people read something and believe it without using their critical thinking skills.

What makes you think that people believe everything that they read on the internet? Also, since when does everyone farting around on forums possess critical thinking skills? How about those who have them but never use them?

People join forums all the time and make remarkable claims such as "I know ghosts are real," "I found Bigfoot," "I know the Gov't has ETs" etc. What gets frustrating for skeptics is that these people make these claims without going through a "Process" as Dr. Shermer mentions. They don't look at alternate explanations, rather insist on believing their source of information is the only one and refuse to believe that a more plausable explanation is possible. People (okay, skeptics) get frustrated with that as it's a common, everyday thing.

Heck, I know ghosts are real. I just can't explain it and it's not because I read it on some internet forum either. As for Bigfoot and the Gov't having pet ET's.... that's not my thing. As long as I don't have to feed them, give them fresh water and clean up after them, the gov't can have whatever they want. I do object paying for their upkeep via taxes if they're not gonna let me play with them however.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 15 Dec 2012, 04:31

Have I mentiooned how much I LOVE Oxycontin and beer?

Okay, I'm not sure it's a valid question because I believe the poster is stereotyping and feel that it should be generalized. Do you know if his/her question is not based on a bad experience the author recently had? Hence, why I stated what I did (though I can't remember what it was that I had s tated, but I'm sure it was eloquant and on point since this skeptic ALWAYS is... :roll: )

Now what the hell else did I freakin' post?

Ya know, they really SHOULD make a breakfast cereal made of this oxy... stuff and beer. I don't know bout you but I'd buy it! They could call it Whuttabuzz--or maybe Cheerioxy

Okay, I think I m either gonna take a nap now or go grab a snack. Kinda got the munchies.

Guess I gotta take a nap though since I haven't mastered the art of one handed chip bag opening. :(
ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 15 Dec 2012, 05:42

Welcome justintime I think I responded to one of your posts in the skeptiko thread on JREF then the post was moved to the AAH subforum.

I'll go through the rest later, but just on the reporting posters: Personally, the only time I ever report posters is for personal attacks or trolling - never on substance. If you've been banned from several forums is it because you were rude or insulting or otherwise abusive in your posts? (the only posts I've read of yours are the ones in that thread I mentioned above)
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 15 Dec 2012, 05:46

justintime wrote:A skeptic forum is not the proper place to go to for facts.

Hmpf, I tend to agree with this. Maybe after all, he/she is not the one-sided skeptic basher I portrayed earlier by questioning the validity of the question.

justintime wrote:Tragically, Skeptic brains 'emit fear signals that can disrupt attempts at rational thought'

Oh, there we go.

I'm still diggin' that oxy/beer cereal idea though!
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 15 Dec 2012, 05:49

NinjaPuppy wrote:What makes you think that people believe everything that they read on the internet?

Gee Ninja "Wikipedia Goddess" Puppy, I have no earthly idea why I think that...
ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 15 Dec 2012, 05:55

justintime wrote:
Tragically, Skeptic brains 'emit fear signals that can disrupt attempts at rational thought'

missed that one in my quick skim of his post. I guess I know the answer to the question I posed a couple posts up!
Arouet

Postby Arouet » 15 Dec 2012, 08:16

Ok, took a quick look at the thread and see why you were suspended now. With your attitude it won't just be skeptic forums that you get banned from.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Dec 2012, 09:25

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:What makes you think that people believe everything that they read on the internet?

Gee Ninja "Wikipedia Goddess" Puppy, I have no earthly idea why I think that...

For the record, you can just address me as 'Goddess', since we've known each other on this forum for many years now. No need to be so formal. ;)

I'm sure that anyone who has done any form of internet dating knows full well to NEVER trust anything from the internet.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Dec 2012, 09:48

Now let's move on to justintime and why he was banned from JREF, shall we? We seem to have some sidebar thing here that I am unaware of because unlike Arouet, I'll need some of ProfWag's Oxy before I can go over and read JREF. Those people are scary. :shock:

Since we have very few rules here, it seems the only way to get banned is to spam, name call, use foul language or just plain piss me off. :D You may ask, "what pisses me off?" Mostly rudeness I guess. I don't like drama or negativity.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 15 Dec 2012, 10:56

Not planning on taking the time to read the entire thread nor his 212 posts in the first two weeks of December - but from a brief skim he comes across as a troll. Throws out comments that appear at first blush to be misleading. Doesn't really respond to the critiques made, repeating the same things over and over, and with a healthy helping of insults thrown in.

Doesn't look like he was banned, but rather suspended.
Arouet

PreviousNext

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies