View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

The Psychology of the Skeptic

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

Re: The Psychology of the Skeptic

Postby Arouet » 16 Dec 2012, 00:23

justintime wrote:I started my first thread on JREF. "Was Carl Sagan really a Skeptic?"(dec 3' 2012) I presented my position based on his interviews and biographies exposing his dubious advocacy of scientific skepticism. Carl Sagan had both a public and private persona and when revealed showed a conflicted personality. He spoke with so many IF, POSSIBLE, MAYBE, and NOT IS and ARE etc. There was no way to ascertain he was sure of anything he spoke. Even to a direct question of UFOs he said he wished they were real but there were no evidence. Yet he spent his entire life searching for extraterrestrial intelligent life through SETI and promoting the possibilities of their existence in his public interviews.

I'm not sure what the inconsistency is with Sagan framing things in terms of IF, POSSIBLE< MAYBE, NOT IS, and ARE. There is no expectation that scepticism will lead to certainty and there is no duty on a person to be certain of anything. I'm quite wary of certainty myself.

I also posted on a thread that was started a while back which was idle, drew little interest and was stuck on the first page. It was titled. "What is a skeptic? I posted my theory on skeptics/Skepticism and Rationalism and the thread took off averaging over 1000 views/day. It was renamed to Justintime's theories on skeptics/Skepticism and Rationalism.

Ummm, good for you?

With both my threads building momentum and now averaging 2000 views each/daily they were merged into one. "What is a skeptic/Was Carl Sagan really a skeptic?" Many of my direct replies were moved to a holding area. My thread is losing the integrity it once had from all this censorship. And to add insult to injury I was suspended for violating Rule 0( be civil and polite), Rule 11(You will not deliberately attempt to derail or start threads in the wrong section) and Rule 12 (address the argument and not the arguer). Considering I only stated one thread and I certainly had no intention of derailing my own successful thread with over 24,000 views and I am generally civil to a fault. This was all a fabrication and attempt to silence the lone voice of reason in a sea of very insecure skeptozoids.

Regardless of what your intentions were from my brief skim of your posts I saw what I would consider to be violations of Rule 0 and 12. Didn't read enough to get a sense of the others.

Maybe you should consider how your posts are coming across, if people seem to be reacting contrary to your intensions.

I might have inadvertently raised the living dead or intruded into a cult sustained by blissful ignorance. After several similar experiences on other Skeptic Forums I am convinced some form of civil action is necessary, because attempts at rational discourses are dismissed by moderators picked from the same group of cognitive discordant members who are willing to wear their badge of ignorance tattooed to their foreheads.

You might want to review this quote and try and figure out how people might consider it uncivil.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Dec 2012, 20:10

justintime - Thank you for your explanation.
Arouet wrote:Not planning on taking the time to read the entire thread nor his 212 posts in the first two weeks of December - but from a brief skim he comes across as a troll.

Oh...there's that word again. :roll: If someone will give me a direct link, I might find some time to read those 212 posts.

Arouet wrote:Throws out comments that appear at first blush to be misleading. Doesn't really respond to the critiques made, repeating the same things over and over, and with a healthy helping of insults thrown in.

Wow! It sounds like he's going to fit in well here. :lol:

Arouet wrote:Doesn't look like he was banned, but rather suspended.

That's too bad that you couldn't make the cut to full blown banned over there justin. Not to worry, if you hit any real nerves over there, they'll come over here and lurk in the shadows.

However, I am curious about the reason for your skeptical research and why the 'view' numbers seem to be connected to this research. Is this one of these 'guy things' that I don't understand? Like setting a record for the most hot dogs eaten or creating a video that has the potential to go viral?
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 16 Dec 2012, 21:21

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=248789

But some of his posts have been moved to a section you can only access if you log in.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Dec 2012, 22:02

Thank you Arouet.

I've read as far as where it goes from Carl Sagan to driving race cars and now I'm up to the Micky Mouse reference. Still reading......

Plowing through a complete 'pile on' of the usual passive/aggressive commentary and now up to an accusation of living in mom's basement. OH SNAP! Talk about good forum etiquette and justintime still holds his composure. AMAZING!

Whew! Who knows how many veiled insults are flung before justintime returns with civil commentary and once again... the skeptics are off to the races with "PROVIDE EVIDENCE". Who would have seen that one coming sports fans??? A total shocker! NOT!

Justintime throws out the gauntlet with his "insecurity" post and the word "BAN" immediately gets put into play. Oh, it's slowing down now. Must either be Happy Hour at the local watering holes or the skeptics are furiously PM'ing to regroup for a more organized game plan. It's anyone's call on what's going on at this time.

Stay tuned for the second half of the game bought to you by "I'm gonna go make some breakfast", featuring the Sunday family favorite, pancakes and bacon.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Dec 2012, 23:01

We're back forum fans with the second half of our game, Skeptics and Believer, here at JREF Stadium. So far the score is Skeptics 14 / Believer 0. The Believer quarterback, JustinTime seems to have had a problem throwing any successful unjustified insults in the first half but we are going to see how he performs in these upcoming quarters.

The teams are in place and wait a minute... the Skeptics seem to be having a hard time getting the insults down the field here with comments like "well intentioned". Oh, wait, they pass the ball and score again with this one: "Was your mother a skeptic when you were an infant? Did your father smoke a cigar? A bigger one than yours?". SCORE! Extra points for the veiled penis envy joke.

Back to the 'green cow' comments and somehow the Skeptics get in a Bigfoot reference. AMAZING! Another score with this one:" That's one of the dumbest things i have ever seen, and YOU SIR ARE NOMINATED FOR A STUNDIE!! congrats!". JT is still holding his composure. That man is one cool cookie. Nine pages into this topic and I will predict that the skeptics WIN. We will now end the program and put on the movie "Heidi".
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Dec 2012, 23:09

Arouet - I realize that there are obvious edits/merges/deletions etc. from this whole situation but where do you see JustinTime make insulting comments? I was 9 pages into that whole clusterfunk and the JREF guys were in tip top shape as far as insults go.

Now I have another question for justintime... so what's this fascination with Carl Sagan?
That should stir up the pot over at JREF :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 16 Dec 2012, 23:51

Ninja: are you really going to make me go back and wade through that thread again?
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Dec 2012, 23:53

Arouet wrote:Ninja: are you really going to make me go back and wade through that thread again?

What can I say??? Some evidence would be nice. :lol:

No, you don't have to wade through that whole thread. I already need brain bleach from reading it. No need for you to need some too.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Dec 2012, 00:04

justintime wrote:I appreciate your warning. I have been told many times. Just because you are good looking does not mean they are not out to get you.

Tell me about it! We REALLY good looking people are constantly harassed by the rest of the world. They're just jealous, that's all. ;)
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 17 Dec 2012, 01:12

Ok, justin has inspired me to take the time. I'm dropping the kids off at the ex's soon, will try and get to it this afternoon. Actually, it could potentially help justin if he actually insincere does want to interact with skeptics in a productive manner (which, to be honest, I sincerely doubt).
Arouet

Postby really? » 17 Dec 2012, 04:20

Maybe I'll taking time and follow Arouet's link.
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Dec 2012, 04:23

really? wrote:Maybe I'll taking time and follow Arouet's link.

If you find something, let me know but you'll need your own supply of brain bleach by time you're done.

See ya in a few hours.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 17 Dec 2012, 04:53

Haven't dropped the kids off yet (ex changed her plans), hope to get to it today, but might not be able to. We'll see.
Arouet

Postby Arouet » 17 Dec 2012, 05:33

From the first link:

Originally posted by justintime

I wish you were a more formidable adversary. But what nature provided you and circumstance alone is an artless form of bitchiness only menopause can fully comprehend.

Men are patient to a fault.....I will survive your mood swings if you can blot those days in advance.

So Ninja, do you need any more evidence that he's a troll? Or do I still have to go through that JREF thread?
Arouet

Postby Arouet » 17 Dec 2012, 05:34

Oh look, he continued:

It is very distracting to communicate with someone who has a scalp full of menstrual gel. Might explain why the 3 big religions recommends women cover their heads in public.

Seems like a swell chap!
Arouet

PreviousNext

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies