View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Science & Skepticism 101 video

Discuss Science, Alternative Science and Suppressed Research.

Science & Skepticism 101 video

Postby really? » 05 Jan 2013, 11:52

A helpful video for understanding what both are and are not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPYbelwK ... _embedded#!
really?

Re: Science & Skepticism 101 video

Postby NinjaPuppy » 06 Jan 2013, 21:26

Since I don't have almost 2 hours to watch this one (today)... I'm sure it's well done and very informative as to the video description:
JREF research fellow Kyle Hill teaches the ins and outs of modern scientific skepticism for both novices and veterans looking to brush up on the basics.

Does it mention anything about making sure to 'carry the message' to those who do not have the same thinking? Or defending truth, justice and the skeptical way?

I guess I'll have to watch it first.
NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 07 Jan 2013, 22:58

I haven't watched the whole vid myself, but what I saw so far presents is clear an easily understood.
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Jan 2013, 04:12

really? wrote:I haven't watched the whole vid myself, but what I saw so far presents is clear an easily understood.

It's still in my list of 'things to do'. Paying attention for almost 2 hours is not easy around here. ;)
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Jan 2013, 21:53

It's 7am on Sunday, and I have some free time. Finally getting a chance to watch that video.
First up on the agenda:
Kyle Hill wrote:You probably wouldn't live past 40, or your children past the age of 1...or maybe your partner out of childbirth, if it wasn't for medical science.

How do you explain survival in remote areas where cultures have no access to modern medicine? Or before modern medicine? Not a totally accurate statement but for the most part, it could apply to most of us today. I'd like to discuss this more in depth later.
It seems like if you give children a lot of sugar, it makes them more hyperactive. However, if you look at the medical studies, the systematic reviews published in medical journals, there's no connection.

Now he's specifically mentions this in relation to a hyperactive child before and after making this statement. This is something that I know about first hand and with a heapin' application of motherly common sense and science, I knew this about 30 years ago. Sugar does not make a hyperactive child more hyperactive. Now let's think about common sense here for a moment... how many parents serve a bowl of sugar to their kids? I'd hope that the answer is "not too many". Sugar is usually consumed along with other added ingredients, both natural... and thanks to science, ingredients cooked up in a laboratory. Take a look at how sugar cane is processed into what reaches our tables:
Raw sugar has a yellow to brown colour. If a white product is desired, sulfur dioxide may be bubbled through the cane juice before evaporation; this chemical bleaches many color-forming impurities into colourless ones. Sugar bleached white by this sulfitation process is called "mill white," "plantation white," and "crystal sugar." This form of sugar is the form most commonly consumed in sugarcane-producing countries.

Refining
In sugar refining, raw sugar is further purified. It is first mixed with heavy syrup and then centrifuged clean. This process is called 'affination'; its purpose is to wash away the outer coating of the raw sugar crystals, which is less pure than the crystal interior. The remaining sugar is then dissolved to make a syrup, about 70 percent by weight solids.

The sugar solution is clarified by the addition of phosphoric acid and calcium hydroxide, which combine to precipitate calcium phosphate. The calcium phosphate particles entrap some impurities and absorb others, and then float to the top of the tank, where they can be skimmed off. An alternative to this "phosphatation" technique is 'carbonatation,' which is similar, but uses carbon dioxide and calcium hydroxide to produce a calcium carbonate precipitate.

After any remaining solids are filtered out, the clarified syrup is decolorized by filtration through a bed of activated carbon; bone char was traditionally used in this role, but its use is no longer common. Some remaining colour-forming impurities adsorb to the carbon bed. The purified syrup is then concentrated to supersaturation and repeatedly crystallized under vacuum, to produce white refined sugar. As in a sugar mill, the sugar crystals are separated from the molasses by centrifuging. Additional sugar is recovered by blending the remaining syrup with the washings from affination and again crystallizing to produce brown sugar. When no more sugar can be economically recovered, the final molasses still contains 20–30 percent sucrose and 15–25 percent glucose and fructose.

To produce granulated sugar, in which the individual sugar grains do not clump together, sugar must be dried. Drying is accomplished first by drying the sugar in a hot rotary dryer, and then by conditioning the sugar by blowing cool air through it for several days.

Most of what is marketed for children (and adults alike since they actually make the purchase decisions) contains dyes, assorted flavorings, preservatives, etc. Some are classified natural, some not so natural. Many of these additives are used in the production of so many manufactured food products that are consumed in mass quantities. My common sense tells me that less natural foods in the diet, the more additives consumed. I may be wrong, but taking the time to read a label has changed my shopping list as well as what and how I purchase and eventually consume. Not that I won't on occasion enjoy the heck out of some fast food meal or Twinkie but I don't make a daily habit out of it either. Onward and upward......

CORRELATION VS. CAUSATION:
Nice chart, but IMO, he really needs to spend a few dollars and consult a graphic artist.

Ahhhhhh, we've hit the MOTHERLOAD now!
THE NATURE AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE:
His opening statement hits the nail on the freakin' head.
Science is one of the most, if not the most successful tool we've ever made for discovering the Universe. Why is that? Why does it work so well?

His answer.....
Well, first of all it's very, very, very competitive. Science is competitive enough within institutions and among scientists themselves to drive science to self regulate, and that's the really important part. Science checks itself against reality to make sure it's continuously, um, for the most part true.

FOR THE MOST PART???? I'm confused. Now here comes the kicker-
As a scientist if you do not make sure that your findings are correct, someone else will and they will make their career off of showing you made a mistake.

You mean to tell me that it all comes down to bruised ego because someone attempted to prove something and it didn't pan out??? Oh the horror of being human. Even worse, the horror of being wrong! That's the last time anyone is going to give YOU grant money to squander on your life's ambition. Even worse, you'll be publicly chastised in every scientific journal until your death and even longer in some cases, just for being wrong. Yup, it's a problem. :roll:

I'll pause the video here at 20 mins. as it's taken me almost 2 hours to get this far with listening, transcribing, etc. and I want some breakfast and I've got a Sunday paper to read and coupons to clip. Discussion anyone?
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 05 Nov 2013, 07:31

anraj761 wrote:The video are so very clear and are very easy to understand.

Buy Celestron Telescope at Affordadable Rate
Where can I buy Skywatcher Telescope online
Australian Online Shop for Skywatcher TelescopeUser

lol. an Australian website selling telescopes too :oops:

I would drop in on them and tell them to desist, but apparently they're in WA, lucky for them. Wonder why their marketing has to extend to spamming international web forums.

Unless their telescopes can be used to finally settle whether there's any Apollo moon landers up there.

TEL: 08 9249 6825

Binoculars Telescopes Optical World

Unit 5 Malaga Centro
41 Holder Way
[Cnr Malaga Drive]
Malaga, WA 6090

OPENING HOURS
Monday CLOSED
Tuesday 9am - 5pm
Wednesday 9am - 5pm
Thursday 9am - 9pm (viewing nights weather permitting)
Friday 9am - 5pm
Saturday 9am - 1pm
Sunday CLOSED
Closed Public Holidays
SydneyPSIder

Return to Science / Alternative Science / Suppressed Research