View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

HIV/AIDS cure

Discuss General Topics.

HIV/AIDS cure

Postby RarelyImpressed » 30 Nov 2009, 07:04

FOLEY, Ala. — A Foley physician said what appears to be the first case of HIV/AIDS cure in the world is getting little mention in the media.

http://www.baldwincountynow.com/article ... 814432.txt

This article has statements from Gupta, I know you pseudos love mainstream....read what Gupta says.
RarelyImpressed

Re: HIV/AIDS cure

Postby Nostradamus » 30 Nov 2009, 09:38

It's interesting to call this the first cure. I thought there had been some earlier notions of an AIDS cure. Here is the article mention in the newspaper account.

Long-Term Control of HIV by CCR5 Delta32/Delta32 Stem-Cell Transplantation
Gero Hütter, M.D., Daniel Nowak, M.D., Maximilian Mossner, B.S., Susanne Ganepola, M.D., Arne Müßig, M.D., Kristina Allers, Ph.D., Thomas Schneider, M.D., Ph.D., Jörg Hofmann, Ph.D., Claudia Kücherer, M.D., Olga Blau, M.D., Igor W. Blau, M.D., Wolf K. Hofmann, M.D., and Eckhard Thiel, M.D.

SUMMARY

Infection with the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) requires the presence of a CD4 receptor and a chemokine receptor, principally chemokine receptor 5 (CCR5). Homozygosity for a 32-bp deletion in the CCR5 allele provides resistance against HIV-1 acquisition. We transplanted stem cells from a donor who was homozygous for CCR5 delta32 in a patient with acute myeloid leukemia and HIV-1 infection. The patient remained without viral rebound 20 months after transplantation and discontinuation of antiretroviral therapy. This outcome demonstrates the critical role CCR5 plays in maintaining HIV-1 infection.

The full article is available at:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/360/7/692

The word cure appears in two places:
This was a reference in the article:
Huzicka I. Could bone marrow transplantation cure AIDS? Med Hypotheses 1999;52:247-257

This was used as reference to the following statement:
In the past, there were several attempts to control HIV-1 infection by means of allogeneic stem-cell transplantation without regard to the donor's CCR5 delta32 status, but these efforts were not successful.

The article in the same paragraph says:
Our findings underscore the central role of the CCR5 receptor during HIV-1 infection and disease progression and should encourage further investigation of the development of CCR5-targeted treatment options.

This is from an article that cited this article.
Levy, J. A. (2009). Not an HIV Cure, but Encouraging New Directions. NEJM 360: 724-725
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby RarelyImpressed » 30 Nov 2009, 13:36

I know what you are talking about I read that to, I forgot where exactly.
RarelyImpressed

Postby ProfWag » 30 Nov 2009, 20:04

Perhaps it's not getting the attention because of the last thing Dr. Gupta says in the article:
"...the procedure is expensive at present and has significant risks of complications and a high mortality related to the procedure itself."

Sounds like they still have some work to do on it...
ProfWag

Postby Nostradamus » 30 Nov 2009, 21:10

After reading the article I wanted to see if the original source said cure. It does not appear that way from what I understood of the article in the NEJM. The article avoided the word cure, because it did not have the proof of cure.

I think Gupta was overstating the results of what is known as a case study. With the complexity of human systems it is difficult to assign cause. That is why experiments are done with hundreds and thousands of people. That is why meds don't work for everyone. It is not really possible to extrapolate from one person to many due to the diversity of human or for that matter any biological population.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Return to General Discussions