View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

The Enviromental Issue

Discuss General Topics.

The Enviromental Issue

Postby yellowlawn » 16 Nov 2009, 07:43

Just how much truth is there is the argument of mankind destroying the Ozone, compared to anything else? Please no bandwagons, I'd be really interested to hear from the 'Non Man-made pollution killing the planet camp'. Are there any interesting stats on the comparisons of what is actually killing the planet?
yellowlawn

Re: The Enviromental Issue

Postby Nostradamus » 16 Nov 2009, 13:01

Not sure if the lower ozone levels is the "planet killer" you talk about.

The things about ozone is its properties. Testing can see that there are chemicals in the ozone layer that do not normally get there. The reason is that elements are usually prevented from reaching the altitude of ozone by water. The materials are easily absorbed by water vapor. If the elements are in molecules that are not hydrophilic, then the elements have a much greater chance of passing out of the troposphere where the water exists.

One of the culprits in the ozone depletion issue is chlorine. Lots of chlorine exists in the oceans as salt. It cannot become readily airborne. The chlorine from volcanoes is predominantly hydrochloric acid. That is strongly hydrophilic.

The chlorine and bromine and other ozone depletion materials in the ozone layer get there because of man made hydrophobic compounds.

What caught my attention was this part:
Are there any interesting stats on the comparisons of what is actually killing the planet?

Not quite sure what you meant by this.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby brett » 16 Nov 2009, 13:14

ah the great "global warming" debate - better keep out of this one as i see it ALL as just another money making scam !! :roll: ( as usual depends WHICH "experts" you listen to yellowlawn ;) )
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Postby Nostradamus » 16 Nov 2009, 13:30

So you think this is not ozone, but global warming. Interesting.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby yellowlawn » 16 Nov 2009, 23:13

What I'm wanting to do is look at the bigger picture on this isue, rather than the noisy 'mankind destroying the planet brigade'. As for the stats, I was wondering if somewhere there was like a chart that would say total contribution to our deterirorating atmosphere - for example: man made 18%, oceans 23% etc. But listing all the known causes and there impact on this prickly subject.
yellowlawn

Return to General Discussions