View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

This could happen to you.

Discuss General Topics.

This could happen to you.

Postby really? » 31 Jul 2013, 20:27

If you believe too easily.
Psychic scam in Florida: $800,000 is a lot of voodoo
Stop me if you’ve heard this before… a woman was bilked out of a ton of money by a psychic scam.
http://www.mercurynews.com/sunnyvale/ci ... -sunnyvale
A woman is in a South Florida jail cell awaiting prosecution in Santa Clara County for an alleged “psychic scam” on a vulnerable and superstitious Sunnyvale divorcee, bilking her out of more than $800,000 over the course of a decade for protection against voodoo curses and misfortune.

Peaches T. Miller, 33, of Miami, was arrested Saturday in Florida’s Broward County after Santa Clara County authorities issued a warrant for her arrest on suspicion of grand theft and extortion, with an “aggravated white collar crime” enhancement because the amount involved surpasses half a million dollars.

The article notes that psychic scams such as the “evil spirit” or “chinese blessing” scams are nationwide (they are actually worldwide). The Deputy District Attorney gives this good advice: “This is a big business and it’s all rip-offs. If you have personal problems and have to spend money, seek counseling or a credible therapist.”
Don’t go to a psychic. Psychics are not qualified to help you with life problems, financial issues, health concerns and they can’t see into the future.

We have reported on psychic scams I swear every month here at Doubtful News. It’s all we can do to get the word out there. In that respect, I am very glad these stories are coming out in the press and getting around. Education will be the key so that people will recognize these tricks for what they are and not fall prey.

Also of note in this story is Bob Nygaard, “a private investigator who specializes in fortunetelling schemes and who helped build the case against Miller that was presented to prosecutors.”

Bob is after this kind of psychic criminal and is hired by victims to track them down. Bob tells Doubtful News that “increasing public awareness as to the deficiencies that exist in the criminal justice system [is a great service] in regard to the manner in which these types of cases are handled/prosecuted.”

Tip: James Kuhn

Addition. More on the psychic scammers in South Florida and how difficult it is to get charged.

Rose Marks: Judge weighs need for 'expert' witness in fortune teller fraud case – South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-jurors- ... 2738.story
really?

Re: This could happen to you.

Postby NinjaPuppy » 01 Aug 2013, 06:30

Excellent article and excellent point! Thank you!
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 01 Aug 2013, 06:40

Now I'd like to discuss a comment made by a reader:
If the victim had given that $800,000 to a church, no one would have batted an eye.

That certainly doesn't suggest that these sort of scams should be treated any differently but something has got to give somewhere before anything will ever change. The article suggests that some of the money went towards actual products:
Miller allegedly conned the woman into funding the purchase of expensive "mirrors, tabernacles, tassels, etc. which were made of gold and silver and needed to be imported from Italy and Spain ... so that Peaches could 'work' with these materials and vanquish the 'evil.' " The till would eventually amount to $838,390.

It will be interesting to see how the courts treat this.
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 25 Aug 2013, 09:38

From the OP:

Psychics [...] can’t see into the future.

How has that been proven?
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Aug 2013, 09:39

SydneyPSIder wrote:How has that been proven?

I'm quite sure that someone will come up with some lame explanation. It usually has to do with shysters and the more popular attention seeking, self proclaimed 'psychics' as seen on TV. Not to say that all TV psychics are shysters either. ;)
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 26 Aug 2013, 15:47

NinjaPuppy wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:How has that been proven?

I'm quite sure that someone will come up with some lame explanation. It usually has to do with shysters and the more popular attention seeking, self proclaimed 'psychics' as seen on TV. Not to say that all TV psychics are shysters either. ;)

There appears to be some conflation of terms in the OP author's mind! For instance, if I say:

"Clairvoyants can't see into the future."

the sentence is self-contradictory. I should have said 'Some self-titled clairvoyants may not be able to see into the future, and may instead be frauds chasing easy money through deception. I cannot scientifically say if some people can or cannot see into the future without further evidence. As it is impossible to disprove something exists, I can only wait for evidence that the ability does exist."
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Aug 2013, 20:26

SydneyPSIder wrote:There appears to be some conflation of terms in the OP author's mind!

That has always been my argument about these sort of things. The terminology has become convoluted and/or has morphed into something that is not representative of the actual, shall I say..... gift? Since these so called 'abilities' seem to be as individual as the person who claims to have them, they tend to be thrown into one big pot of stew.
NinjaPuppy

Return to General Discussions