View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a war?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jan 2014, 21:55

Hey check this out. That anti-military article I wrote in my blog a while ago caused quite a stir. There are 70 comments in it now. A lot of people serving in the military, and some veterans as well, posted angry comments in it. They spouted the typical drivel they were brainwashed with, such as "This article is an insult to those who served our country and fought to defend your freedoms and your right to post these things on the internet..." blah blah blah, which is illogical, nonsensical and false. I already explained in logical detail why joining the military is not serving your country and why it doesn't defend freedom at all. It couldn't be more clear. Yet they don't get it. Those who spout that are merely chanting a religion, not fact or logic.

It's like they are merely repeating a programmed loop in their head without really reading my article, which already debunks everything they said. Check out the comments, and feel free to participate and enlighten those who still don't get it.

20 Reasons Not to Join the Military: Why it's foolish, illogical and doesn't serve your country
http://blog.happierabroad.com/2013/07/2 ... y-its.html
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29






Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jan 2014, 22:03

This guy in my other forum explained very well why men join the military and makes sense.

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... 465#160465

Hi guys,

I agree with most arguments against military brought up in this discussion. However, explanations offered for why young men join military aren't entirely correct. Sure, some guys enlist because they generally feel lost, without perspective, or because they have been brought up in conservative families that idealize patriotism and "serving your country". But these are not the main reasons in most cases.

First, I think you need to accept that it is in the nature of men to be aggressive, thrill seeking, adventurous and in constant need to test their limits. Men are interested in combat, in weapons, tactics, in warrior skills, and as young boys, most have fantasized about being skilled soldiers or some other types of warrior, fighting for a good cause, against "bad guys". Fighting, killing, revenge, bringing justice, have always been and still are the key concepts in literature and art. Today, no tv show or a movie can gain any significant number of viewers and fans without being about some type of fighting, conflict, warfare. Just look which are the most popular tv shows.

In all cultures, from the most primitive to the most advanced, men have always been fascinated with fighting and weapons. In hunter-gatherer societies, young boys enjoyed hunting with bows and arrows. Today, when boys have opportunity to spend some time outdoors, the first thing they will make will be sharpened sticks, or bows and arrows. Kids in cities, on the other hand, enjoy playing war games, and reading encyclopedias about modern arms. Now we have Airsoft, a military simulation game similar to paintball, but with greater focus on realism, that is becoming extremely popular all over the world. Guys enjoy learning about different types of firearms, about tactics, and all military equipment. Special forces like SEALS, Marines, SAS, Spetnatz, etc. are symbols of toughness and masculinity everywhere, and their members are admired almost as if they were superheroes.

Brutal training, pain, discipline and hardships that soldiers endure are considered extremely satisfying among those that are mentally and physically fit for it. Just like in martial arts, or lifting weights. If you really think about it, bodybuilding is pure pain, so why so many guys enjoy it and swear they couldn't live without that intense burning sensation in their muscles? Obviously, pain and pleasure often come together.

Soldiers are well aware that they might die, that they might get severely injured or crippled, but they are hooked on adrenalin, they yearn for combat, they love their guns, they enjoy shooting. It's the way of life they chose, they simply don't dream of lying on the beach and drinking cocktails. They want warrior lifestyle, they want to test their limits of strength, endurance, courage and fighting ability. Do they believe they are doing the right thing?
Of course, and they are. An individual soldier doesn't care about the "big picture", about the political/economic reasons of warfare, he simply needs to know that his enemies are bad guys, and then he is happy to shoot them.

I tend to sympathize with military guys. Are they killing innocent people? Definitely not on purpose, and most are decent guys who believe their duty is to protect civilians, the innocents. Are their targets freedom fighters, or just obedient soldiers like in 20th century World Wars? NO, they are murderers and terrorists whose idea of "freedom" is "freedom to take other's freedom" - oppressive, religious state that stones women to death and hangs 13 year old girls from cranes in the form of a public spectacle.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jan 2014, 22:25

ProfWag,
Some questions for you.

1. Why do you think joining the military is serving your country? You do know that it's not don't you? You are serving a cabal of sociopaths that run the major institutions and corporations in America who are very corrupt. You do know that don't you?

2. Do you think it's ok to kill innocent people just because your leader tells you to? Why would you want to do someone else's dirty work? If Bush and Cheney want a war, why don't you let them fight it and die in it themselves? Why do you want to be used by bad, corrupt, sociopathic people? Ever think about that?

3. Remember the Mai Lai massacres of Vietnam? What if you were there and your superior officer told you to shoot innocent unarmed women and children? Would you follow orders or protest and be court martialed?

4. You do know that military men are not defending our freedoms don't you? Let me elaborate.

First, there is no war in which American freedom was ever at stake, not even during the American Revolution, which only transferred power and control from a foreign source to a local one, and ended up being worse.

Second, there is no outside force that wants to take away your freedom. That is a manufactured myth and fiction that is concocted to give you a reason to fight. There is no boogeyman out there that wants to strip you of your freedom. No foreign army can occupy America. You do know that ruling elites lie all the time don't you? Even Plato said that lies to the mass public are a necessary part of the ruling elite's operations.

Third, what freedom? America does NOT have more freedom than other countries do. In fact, it has less freedom because it has the highest number of LAWS in the world. More laws = more limitations, and more limitations = LESS freedom. Simple logic. Don't you know that? Ask anyone from Mexico. They will tell you that Mexico has way MORE FREEDOM than America. The laws in Mexico are basic and simple, not excessive overkill like in America. America has tons and tons of rules and regulations, even for schoolkids. Also, no one from Europe or Australia thinks America is freer than their own countries are.

The whole "America is the freest country" is a pure MYTH created by the media. Very few people believe it literally. Most people aren't even that patriotic, they are only interested in profit and gain. The myth is not realistic or factual at all. There is no logical reason to believe America has more freedom than most other countries. Most countries are not a dictatorship. That's a myth. Every country has laws you have to follow or else be fined or jailed. How is that any different than in America? Think about it. In fact, America has MORE laws than any other nation on Earth, not less. Thus, the myth you were fed doesn't make logical sense and you know it. You are simply a moral authoritarian who believes that authority = truth and doesn't think for himself.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby ProfWag » 24 Jan 2014, 19:10

Scepcop wrote:ProfWag,
Some questions for you.

1. Why do you think joining the military is serving your country? You do know that it's not don't you? You are serving a cabal of sociopaths that run the major institutions and corporations in America who are very corrupt. You do know that don't you?

First, let me say that I don't usually like to criticize a person, but rather focus on their argument. In this case Winston, you're just being an ass. It's just so morbidly ironic that I spent 24 years of my life defending Freedom of Speech which gives you the right to say shit like this. I'm not really sure why this subject consumes more than a nanosecond of your time, but I'll answer your questions from my perspective.
There are as many reasons that people join the military as their are people who have served. You are as wrong as wrong can be about the military not serving your country, regardless of what country you are serving in. Are police officers serving their community? Are firemen serving their community? Are the Swiss Guards serving the Pope? Is the young man behind the counter taking your order serving McDonalds? Yes and yes and yes and yes. Whether or not they joined the military to serve their country, that is exactly what they are doing. If John Lennon had his way and there were no wars or disagreements between lands or religions, then there would be no need for self defense. However, the military is a necessary evil in most countries. Yes, I know there is corruption in the military and I have seen that first hand. I have also seen corruption in EVERY institution in the world, from the military, corporations, non-profits, local, state, and federal governments, playgrounds, schools, pharma, and virtually every other thing you can think of. However Winston, most of us don't have the luxury to not work and earn a living so we do our jobs the best we can and go home, regardless of the career we have chosen.

Scepcop wrote:2. Do you think it's ok to kill innocent people just because your leader tells you to? Why would you want to do someone else's dirty work? If Bush and Cheney want a war, why don't you let them fight it and die in it themselves? Why do you want to be used by bad, corrupt, sociopathic people? Ever think about that?

No, it is not okay to kill innocent people because your leader tells you to. Unfortunately, if the bad guys are using the innocent people to hide behind, innocent lives must sometimes be lost. Additionally, if you were on the battlefield for months at a time, never knowing when you may step on a land mind or be the victim of an IED, your mind begins to play tricks on yourself and you just never know who you can trust. Military or civilians, killing an innocent person is murder. Period. And if you know of a military leader who tells their troops to kill that person who's out taking their dog for a walk, execution will be the result. It doesn't happen like that Winston, regardless of how bad you wish it did.
Scepcop wrote:3. Remember the Mai Lai massacres of Vietnam? What if you were there and your superior officer told you to shoot innocent unarmed women and children? Would you follow orders or protest and be court martialed?

Mai Lai was a tragedy and a damn shame. It was rarely discussed in my 24 years of service as it was a black eye and an embarrassment to the military. I can't speak for what I would have done in that situation since I wasn't there. I can tell you that nobody that I knew in the military, myself included, would choose to shoot innocent, unarmed women and children. The order to do so is illegal and the UCMJ is pretty explicit and simply written that the only orders that we follow are lawful orders. Killing innocents is illegal. I cannot speak with authority for times prior to 1983, but from the day that I joined, all military members who disobeyed an unlawful order got you praise, not punishment.
Scepcop wrote:4. You do know that military men are not defending our freedoms don't you? Let me elaborate.

First, there is no war in which American freedom was ever at stake, not even during the American Revolution, which only transferred power and control from a foreign source to a local one, and ended up being worse.

Second, there is no outside force that wants to take away your freedom. That is a manufactured myth and fiction that is concocted to give you a reason to fight. There is no boogeyman out there that wants to strip you of your freedom. No foreign army can occupy America. You do know that ruling elites lie all the time don't you? Even Plato said that lies to the mass public are a necessary part of the ruling elite's operations.

Third, what freedom? America does NOT have more freedom than other countries do. In fact, it has less freedom because it has the highest number of LAWS in the world. More laws = more limitations, and more limitations = LESS freedom. Simple logic. Don't you know that? Ask anyone from Mexico. They will tell you that Mexico has way MORE FREEDOM than America. The laws in Mexico are basic and simple, not excessive overkill like in America. America has tons and tons of rules and regulations, even for schoolkids. Also, no one from Europe or Australia thinks America is freer than their own countries are.

The whole "America is the freest country" is a pure MYTH created by the media. Very few people believe it literally. Most people aren't even that patriotic, they are only interested in profit and gain. The myth is not realistic or factual at all. There is no logical reason to believe America has more freedom than most other countries. Most countries are not a dictatorship. That's a myth. Every country has laws you have to follow or else be fined or jailed. How is that any different than in America? Think about it. In fact, America has MORE laws than any other nation on Earth, not less. Thus, the myth you were fed doesn't make logical sense and you know it. You are simply a moral authoritarian who believes that authority = truth and doesn't think for himself.

The majority of your comments here are uneducated gibberish and don't deserve a comment (similar to the rest of your post). Freedom is another word that has as many different meanings as the people who use the word. In my opinion, if I don't feel like I can walk down a street in any city in the country because I may get blown up by a suicide bomber, then I'm not free. If you don't think there are people all over the world who wouldn't want to kill us, bomb us, or take away our ability to walk to the corner store, you are wrong. Military, police, etc. protect us from harm. It's a necessary self defense. You may be right that America isn't the "freest country" in the world. I would say, however, that there are 45 million immigrants living in the United States because they feel the United States is better than where they were living. That's 4 times as many immigrants than any other country in the world. Why is that? I don't know, but it's a pretty strong case for the U.S. doing something right. Watch a documentary on North Korea or what Iraq really was like under Saddam and then get back to me on what you believe the term "freedom" means to them.
Did you not just return to the U.S. from a few years in the Philippines? If life is so crappy here, why did you return?
Enough of this bullshit Winston, how about concentrating on the title of your website which is the paranormal and feel free to have some fun conspiracy theories thrown in. Sheesh.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby ProfWag » 26 Jan 2014, 20:12

Scepcop, after calling me out personally to answer your questions, I did answer your post and spent a lot of my valuable time doing so. However, you have since logged in and didn't respond to my posts. As such, I will never answer any more of your posts. Either you man-up and discuss, especially when you realize you are wrong, or don't post at all.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby Scepcop » 11 Jun 2014, 12:03

Hey check this out.

When you go to Google and type "reasons not to join the military" my article with 20 reasons comes up at the very top.

http://blog.happierabroad.com/2013/07/2 ... y-its.html

Here are some other hits that come up about reasons not to join the military. They are pretty good.

9 Reasons Not To Join the US Military
http://wisesloth.wordpress.com/2010/04/ ... -military/

One Excellent Reason Not to Join the Military: You May be Ordered to Kill Civilians
http://www.couragetoresist.org/news/65- ... tary-.html

Oh and here is a shill webpage from the US military website about why you shouldn't join the military. It's full of BS. I can't believe they put that up there to try to use reverse psychology.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-forc ... itary.html
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby Scepcop » 11 Jun 2014, 12:04

Check this out. The media acknowledges that there is a suicide epidemic among veterans of the Iraq war.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... t-suicide/

http://www.stripes.com/news/special-rep ... e-military

And check out this suicide note from an Iraq veteran. It's very sad and moving.

http://gawker.com/i-am-sorry-that-it-ha ... -534538357
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby ProfWag » 12 Jun 2014, 20:12

I'm curious Winston, have you ever done anything meaningful or useful for the good of others or have you just decided that it's best to spend your days in front of a computer and writing rants about things you have no personal experience or knowledge about?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby kevinsonnier » 11 Jul 2014, 17:51

I had the same topic when I do my gradation, those day we use to take help from online services to get better result, But I use to free about fraud essay writing services, after that I had good knowledge about best services that resides in the academic writing industry.
Last edited by NinjaPuppy on 12 Jul 2014, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed by Moderator
User avatar
kevinsonnier
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Jul 2014, 17:32

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby Scepcop » 17 Sep 2014, 13:35

Some more anti-military articles.

How to convince your child not to go to war
http://www.wikihow.com/Convince-Your-Ch ... -Go-to-War

Recruiting Lies vs. Military Reality
http://johnmccarthy90066.tripod.com/id154.html
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby Scepcop » 18 Sep 2014, 08:20

ProfWag wrote:I'm curious Winston, have you ever done anything meaningful or useful for the good of others or have you just decided that it's best to spend your days in front of a computer and writing rants about things you have no personal experience or knowledge about?


Yes I have. I've helped a lot of people solve their problems by getting out of America. This has led to marriages, prevented suicides and possible mass shootings, cured depression, etc. See my testimonials below for many examples. I swear that these are all real. They are sourced and linked where possible.

http://www.happierabroad.com/testimonials.php

I've also revealed some great health secrets and solutions that you will never hear about in America because there is no profit in them. Three examples are on my big secrets page.

http://www.happierabroad.com/secrets.php

So yes, I've helped people in a way that others don't. But I know you don't really want answers. You just want to look for a way to shame me or put me down. It's highly subjective to you. You don't care about truth. You are agenda-driven.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby Mr Q » 27 Feb 2015, 00:07

In your first post, you cited a statement by Einstein and I believe in it BUT the statement only is correct IF all the world adheres to it. Unfortunately, the many peoples and cultures of the world we live in are very diverse. This makes the statement all but useless in practical terms.

Your comments are very emotional and I do agree with your logic but logic alone does not run the world's inhabitants behavior alone. There is the emotional side that keep the world from total peace. The utopia Einstein speaks of can not exist because we humans are in essence just smart animals and being animals, we are constantly at war over food, resources, etc. Its the competition between animals to survive that prolongs our human desires.

Sometimes those who are willing to loose life or limb feel this need to make the world a peaceful one but the goal is never achieved. We will always have wars as we will always have people who will give up their lives to stop them. Its just human nature that causes such emotional conflict in the world - not insanity. Some of us do what we feel is right to save the world while others do the opposite to achieve the same goal That's "life" and we are stuck with it, whether we want to be or not. :x

On an emotional opinion, it make me sick the way our veterans are treated and cared for after their service by our government. That's what amazes me with so many new recruits joining - it does seem like insanity but we all have to do what we feel is right for our country's future.
User avatar
Mr Q
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 00:49

Re: Why would anyone join the military and get killed in a w

Postby firerhumba » 06 Mar 2015, 13:52

That's why in some countries it's mandatory. They're worried that people would get worried and wonder why they should join the military and get killed in a war.
User avatar
firerhumba
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:24

Previous

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron