View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

What are you reading now?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby SydneyPSIder » 25 Jan 2013, 15:28

Arouet wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:But does it play Flash?

No: I specifically wanted an ereader, not a tablet. I wanted the whole e-ink thing. I won't be using it for anything other than reading books.

my extremely affluent BIL bought a kindle in B&W just before tablets started to come out, particularly the iPad. He was very proud of the fact he could even transfer PDF files to it. I'm quietly rejoicing, possibly even schadenfreuding, as a late adopter, that I waited for some more interesting technology at a reasonable price to come on to the market.

This reading thread has got me hooked -- I just dug out a book I probably wouldn't otherwise have read that Arou might find interesting -- there are probably also strong parallels to the Canadian and US conditions, although politics is practised a little differently in every country:

http://scribepublications.com.au/books- ... /sideshow/

Sideshow
dumbing down democracy
Lindsay Tanner

'After spending much of my life dedicated to the serious craft of politics, I have to admit that I am distressed by what it is becoming. Under siege from commercial pressures and technological innovation, the media are retreating into an entertainment frame that has little tolerance for complex social and economic issues. In turn, politicians and parties are adapting their behaviour to suit the new rules of the game — to such an extent that the contest of ideas is being supplanted by the contest for laughs.’

‘The two key rules that now govern the practice of Australian politics are: (1) Look like you’re doing something; and (2) Don’t offend anyone who matters. These imperatives are a direct consequence of the interaction between media coverage and political activity — the aggregated outcome of countless individuals acting rationally in pursuit of their own interests. The sideshow syndrome, the overall result of these actions, is a direct threat to the nation’s well-being.’

SydneyPSIder

Postby Misha » 25 Jan 2013, 23:40

It appears that Lindsay Tanner has hit the nail on the head. The late New York University professor Neil Postman also has written on this subject. Two books worth reading is "Amusing Ourselves to Death" and "Technopoly." I read these books in the mid to late 90s. They are still relevant today.
Misha

Postby Boo boo » 07 Oct 2014, 01:48

The End of Materialism.
Boo boo

Postby firerhumba » 14 Oct 2014, 20:53

I watched The Maze Runner, I didn't read the book. After watching the movie, I had to go to a bookstore to buy The Scorch Trials. I'm reading it now.
firerhumba

Postby firerhumba » 03 Sep 2015, 14:16

I started this "Did You Ever Have a Family" yesterday.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24452249-did-you-ever-have-a-family
firerhumba

Postby firerhumba » 03 Jun 2016, 14:44

I'm reading [http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/the-fault-in-our-stars/summary.html]The Fault in our Stars[/url] again and again. :)
firerhumba

Postby mannedbell » 08 Jun 2016, 23:38

Since I am hooked on Game of Thrones, i decided to read the book A Song of Ice and Fire
mannedbell

Previous

Return to General Discussions