View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Not necessarily news

Discuss General Topics.

Not necessarily news

Postby Nostradamus » 03 Apr 2010, 22:04

Here's an interesting UFO event over April Fool's day:

From http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/ufos-and-obama-fool-a-few-in-the-southwest-on-april-1/1793203.aspx?src=rss
In this story some folks make fake UFOs and place them in a field for fun.

"A few mates rang up to tell me I'm an idiot."

He said the idea "probably came out of a bottle" and that making the non-flying saucers had been a good time-filler "instead of watching TV".
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Re: Not necessarily news

Postby Nostradamus » 03 Apr 2010, 22:21

Here is a story in which the power of suggestion is demonstrated.

From
http://www.koat.com/entertainment/22956601/detail.html

Smellovision was unveiled in a BBC segment, with an expert demonstrating a new technique in which aromas conjured in a TV studio could be pumped through home television sets.

An expert on the set even demonstrated by brewing a pot of coffee and chopping up an onion. He urged viewers to call in if they could smell anything and suggested that "for best results stand six feet away from your set and sniff."

Viewers reported that they could, in fact, catch a whiff of the distinctive scents.

I am not surprised.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 03 Apr 2010, 22:23

Here is another prank with an astounding report.

From http://www.koat.com/entertainment/22956636/detail.html

BBC Radio 2 launched a stellar prank with news that at 9:47 a.m. on April 1, 1976, Pluto would pass behind Jupiter and that this alignment of the planets would result in a stronger gravitational pull from Jupiter, counteracting the Earth's own gravity.

Listeners who timed a jump just at the right moment would be able to experience weightlessness, an astronomer in the report claimed.

Hundreds of listeners immediately reported that they had been suspended in mid-air (along with their disbelief).

One woman said that she and 11 friends -- and the table they were seated around -- had begun to float during the cosmic moment. Another caller said that the gravitational release had been so dramatic that she hit her head on the ceiling.
Nostradamus

Postby NucleicAcid » 05 Apr 2010, 10:58

BBC Radio 2 launched a stellar prank with news that at 9:47 a.m. on April 1, 1976, Pluto would pass behind Jupiter and that this alignment of the planets would result in a stronger gravitational pull from Jupiter, counteracting the Earth's own gravity.

Listeners who timed a jump just at the right moment would be able to experience weightlessness, an astronomer in the report claimed.

Hundreds of listeners immediately reported that they had been suspended in mid-air (along with their disbelief).

One woman said that she and 11 friends -- and the table they were seated around -- had begun to float during the cosmic moment. Another caller said that the gravitational release had been so dramatic that she hit her head on the ceiling.

Sounds hilarious. Could quite possibly be a good case of mass hysteria. But what if the REPORT is made up? Hmmm...

I think it'd be near impossible to find evidence of the callers, but it just puts these sorts of things in perspective, how people immediately accept a plausible explanation or story. Their prefrontal cortex goes, "Yup, that makes sense." and gets recorded in memory as true. And that's where urban legends come from.
Hey, you there. Yes, you. Read more journal articles.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby ciscop » 06 Apr 2010, 02:19

Nostradamus wrote:Here is a story in which the power of suggestion is demonstrated.

From
http://www.koat.com/entertainment/22956601/detail.html

Smellovision was unveiled in a BBC segment, with an expert demonstrating a new technique in which aromas conjured in a TV studio could be pumped through home television sets.

An expert on the set even demonstrated by brewing a pot of coffee and chopping up an onion. He urged viewers to call in if they could smell anything and suggested that "for best results stand six feet away from your set and sniff."

Viewers reported that they could, in fact, catch a whiff of the distinctive scents.

I am not surprised.

OH MAN!!
That´s a great story!!!
thanks for sharing
i will use this reference on my performance.. that´s pretty awesome
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ciscop » 06 Apr 2010, 02:51

NucleicAcid wrote:

Sounds hilarious. Could quite possibly be a good case of mass hysteria. But what if the REPORT is made up? Hmmm...

I think it'd be near impossible to find evidence of the callers, but it just puts these sorts of things in perspective, how people immediately accept a plausible explanation or story. Their prefrontal cortex goes, "Yup, that makes sense." and gets recorded in memory as true. And that's where urban legends come from.

not sure if it qualifies as mass hysteria
more likely is just pure suggestion

this reminds me of a trick i used to do
where a person drinks water.. and with their eyes closed.. you make them sniff Oral B mouthwash..
people will swear that you actually transformed the water on their mouth to the oral b mouthwash..
try it out yourself.. is kind of a interesting perceptual thing
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NucleicAcid » 06 Apr 2010, 09:25

No, actually that is because 99% of your "taste" perception is actually smell. Ever eaten food with a total headcold? It tastes totally different. I can "taste" stuff in my mouth all the time by smelling it. Sometimes it's totally unwanted and it totally throws me off.

A better example is when you put someone's arm in a box with a mirror and a fake arm, so it looks like the fake arm continues where the real arm left off. Then you have someone simultaneously tickle the fake hand (so you can see it) and the real hand (which is hidden). Do this sort of thing for a few minutes. Then whack the fake hand with a hammer. :twisted:
Hey, you there. Yes, you. Read more journal articles.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Return to General Discussions