View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

2012 Doomsday - End of the World?

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

Re: 2012 Doomsday Prophecies - End of the World?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Aug 2012, 00:51

really? wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:If you look at the total of all human history nothing has changed in how we conduct ourselves. I have no doubt this way of doing things will continue through to the end of the year and beyond.

I agree and totally understand everything both you and ProfWag said. However, your quoted statement above is an excellent point of debate. Off the top of my head, I can think of one major change to humankind here. Haven't we go through many major changes over time? The creation of religion is the only thing that I can pull off the top of my head right now as an example. There may be more but I'll be danged if I can spew out any off the top of my head.

The so called 'invention' of fire must have made changes in conduct somewhere along the line.
The development of government should have really whacked the crap out of human conduct.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 15 Aug 2012, 03:38

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Arouet wrote:Can we set this thread to auto-bump on January 1?

Sure, but there won't be anyone to watch it. :lol:

So how high is high ground?

As high as you can get and as inland as you can get, I guess. lol

ProfWag wrote:I would watch the video or respond more in depth, but I'm too busy planning my move to the top of Mt. Everest...
I hope it won't be too crowded up there!

Seriously though, what if the Doomsday followers are wrong. Will they admit it? What will they say come January 1? Will there be a new date established for the End of the World? Will they be happy or sad? Winston, will you change your mind at all about some of these "theories?"

If it doesn't happen, then we will all be glad and admit that the Doomsday prophecies were wrong. Sure, who wouldn't admit that? But that doesn't mean that we are wrong. We are merely saying that it's a possibility, not that we are claiming that it will happen.

See that History Channel episode above. It does present some convincing evidence and reasons. The Mayans do seem to predict an apocalypse.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 15 Aug 2012, 03:42

NinjaPuppy wrote:Here's my review of this episode of "Ancient Aliens" for those too stubborn or busy to bother to watch it-

It's well presented with plenty of historical and scientific facts as well as plenty of speculation, interpretation and theory. When it comes to skeptics poo-pooing all of this as nonsense, it sure seems that all of this speculation comes from people of science.

The date, Dec. 21, 2012 comes from a brick that was found set in backwards, from some dig. The bulk of the theories come from a tablet that has some damage and missing parts. Since these things have been discovered by men of science and interpreted by men of science, then all of these published theories come from men of science. Are my statements accurate?

At the end of this video they briefly talk about a new beginning rather than some nasty end of the world. Granted, speculation on gloom, doom and fear gets better ratings than some ho-hum based new beginning so naturally the producers are going to insist on highlighting what the people want to watch on TV. Not that some horrible end can't be coming our way as we've seen some pretty horrible attempts by man as well as nature reshape our culture throughout history.

That's a great summary. I think though, that they said that they found a second tablet hidden inside a wall that confirmed what the first damaged tablet said about the end of the world.

It wasn't clear though, if the Mayans specifically said that 2012 would be an apocalypse or not. It wasn't clear on that or not, but it insinuated that the Mayans said that specifically.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Aug 2012, 04:30

Scepcop wrote:That's a great summary. I think though, that they said that they found a second tablet hidden inside a wall that confirmed what the first damaged tablet said about the end of the world.

It wasn't clear though, if the Mayans specifically said that 2012 would be an apocalypse or not. It wasn't clear on that or not, but it insinuated that the Mayans said that specifically.

I'll check for accuracy again but I thought that the second object was a (building) brick in the structure that had nothing but the date, Jan. 21, 2012 inscribed in the backside (hidden) that was found during another investigation. I'll zoom through the video again to that exact part.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Aug 2012, 05:07

If you'll fast forward to 7:25 into the video, it will take you directly to both the tablet and the mud brick part.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 15 Aug 2012, 05:28

Scepcop wrote:If it doesn't happen, then we will all be glad and admit that the Doomsday prophecies were wrong. Sure, who wouldn't admit that? But that doesn't mean that we are wrong. We are merely saying that it's a possibility, not that we are claiming that it will happen.

I have a different opinion. Even your friend said he was moving to higher ground. Many, many people are believing the world will end and they are doing things they believe will protect themselves. Their families, friends, money, and lots of other considerations are being negatively affected by the "Doomsday Prophecies." So to say "we will all be glad and admit that the Doomsday prophecies were wrong" is quite the understatement.

The Mayan calendar just resets on December 21, 2012--eerily similar to my calendar running out on December 31, 2012. Hmmmmmmm.
Besides, if the world does end on December 21, 2012, WTF does it matter how you prepare if it's actually the END OF THE WORLD! (Okay, that's a joke. We all know that the end of the world will really just be natural disasters and mass chaos...right?)
ProfWag

Postby really? » 15 Aug 2012, 05:39

You’ve heard the claims: “The world is ending in December!” “The Mayans predicted a shift in cosmic consciousness at the end of 2012!” In this fun exploration of unlikely doomsday predictions, we’ll set sail from Tampa, Florida to the heart of Mayan civilization, with stops in the Rotan Bay Islands, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Costa Maya, Mexico; and Cozumel, Mexico. Between guided tours and talks about prophecies of impending doom and other skeptical topics, you’ll have ample time to scuba, snorkel, enjoy the beach and the jungle, and see some of the most beautiful Mayan ruins.

But the best part? You’ll be spending the week with Randi and scores of other seafaring skeptics like you, sharing laughs, learning, and like-minded community while the world doesn’t end.
http://www.amazingmeeting.com/cruise/
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Aug 2012, 06:52

OMG! What a great way 'to go'! :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 19 Aug 2012, 21:21

There are a number of Mayan end of the world countdown clocks. Here's one so you won't miss it.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-edge-ma ... 3565.flash
really?

Re: 2012 Doomsday - End of the World?

Postby Scepcop » 20 Nov 2012, 05:15

New Possible Signs That The World Is Coming To An End!? (Sun Bursts, Dead Species, Global Warming, Strange Sounds Being Heard + More)

Strange trumpet sounds being heard from all over the world?

Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Doomsday - End of the World?

Postby Arouet » 20 Nov 2012, 08:27

Running out of time, Scepcop- what's your prediction?
Arouet

Postby SydneyPSIder » 20 Nov 2012, 09:16

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Scepcop wrote:That's a great summary. I think though, that they said that they found a second tablet hidden inside a wall that confirmed what the first damaged tablet said about the end of the world.

I'll check for accuracy again but I thought that the second object was a (building) brick in the structure that had nothing but the date, Jan. 21, 2012 inscribed in the backside (hidden) that was found during another investigation. I'll zoom through the video again to that exact part.

um, the Mayans couldn't have referenced 'Jan. 21, 2012' specifically because that is based on the Roman/Gregorian calendar from Europe -- they had their own calendar system where the numbers just basically ran out in 2012, which was a long way away for them, so it didn't really matter. Similar to a 'Julian date problem' that sometimes besets computing systems, i.e. I've seen software that uses 4 digits as a day counter that runs out in 27 years -- sometimes the approach stops working before the software has been retired! however, the software 'Julian date' running out as a representation of the real world's orbit around the sun and rotation doesn't bring an end to the entire world and universe, just an end to the usefulness of the software.
SydneyPSIder

Previous

Return to Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions