View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

2012 Doomsday - End of the World?

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

2012 Doomsday - End of the World?

Postby Scepcop » 13 Aug 2012, 03:09

Check out this episode of Ancient Aliens on the History Channel that make a compelling case for doomsday prophecies of 2012 from different historical cultures such as the Mayans, Hopi Indians, and India. It's very scary and chilling. According to several cultures, we are in the 5th era, and at the end of each era, the Earth gets wiped out and purified so that it can start over again.

It's also amazing how the Mayans knew the exact days, hours and minutes of a full calendar year, down to the last minute, as accurate as an atomic clock does. And it's amazing that they knew that the universe is around 16 billion years old. If the Mayans have been so accurate about everything so far, doesn't that mean that they are right about 2012 being the end of the world? How did they know that the Earth, Sun and center of the Galaxy will align in 2012?

Here it is. It's very disturbing though.

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Doomsday Prophecies - End of the World?

Postby Scepcop » 13 Aug 2012, 03:55

Here's my friend's response to the episode above:

Yeah, saw that...that's why we're heading to high ground the week b4 Dec. 21...
You might want to make sure you're on high ground too, just in case...I'd hate to see the Earth lose such a brilliant mind as yours, especially when we need people to rebuild the infrastructure after the event... ;>)
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 13 Aug 2012, 04:38

Can we set this thread to auto-bump on January 1?
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Aug 2012, 05:17

Arouet wrote:Can we set this thread to auto-bump on January 1?

Sure, but there won't be anyone to watch it. :lol:

So how high is high ground?
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 13 Aug 2012, 10:51

lol
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 13 Aug 2012, 20:44

I would watch the video or respond more in depth, but I'm too busy planning my move to the top of Mt. Everest...
I hope it won't be too crowded up there!

Seriously though, what if the Doomsday followers are wrong. Will they admit it? What will they say come January 1? Will there be a new date established for the End of the World? Will they be happy or sad? Winston, will you change your mind at all about some of these "theories?"
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Aug 2012, 21:44

ProfWag wrote:Seriously though, what if the Doomsday followers are wrong. Will they admit it? What will they say come January 1? Will there be a new date established for the End of the World? Will they be happy or sad?

I did some reading on this upcoming event as I originally knew nothing factual about it other than basic claims. I'm going to watch the vids sometime today to see how much of what I read jives with the info presented in the videos.

I found more theories that claim "a new way of world thinking", a less material world attitude, and "being green", than I found on "the end of the world". The one theory that seemed fairly consistent in the assorted articles was a major increase in natural disasters.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Aug 2012, 23:24

Here's my review of this episode of "Ancient Aliens" for those too stubborn or busy to bother to watch it-

It's well presented with plenty of historical and scientific facts as well as plenty of speculation, interpretation and theory. When it comes to skeptics poo-pooing all of this as nonsense, it sure seems that all of this speculation comes from people of science.

The date, Dec. 21, 2012 comes from a brick that was found set in backwards, from some dig. The bulk of the theories come from a tablet that has some damage and missing parts. Since these things have been discovered by men of science and interpreted by men of science, then all of these published theories come from men of science. Are my statements accurate?

At the end of this video they briefly talk about a new beginning rather than some nasty end of the world. Granted, speculation on gloom, doom and fear gets better ratings than some ho-hum based new beginning so naturally the producers are going to insist on highlighting what the people want to watch on TV. Not that some horrible end can't be coming our way as we've seen some pretty horrible attempts by man as well as nature reshape our culture throughout history.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 14 Aug 2012, 03:00

NinjaPuppy wrote:The date, Dec. 21, 2012 comes from a brick that was found set in backwards, from some dig. The bulk of the theories come from a tablet that has some damage and missing parts. Since these things have been discovered by men of science and interpreted by men of science, then all of these published theories come from men of science. Are my statements accurate?

Great question Ninja. The answer is yes...and no...
It really depends on who interpreted the find, their level of knowledge/experience, and then the support from other "men (or women) of science." So, let's say I discovered a brick with August 14, 2012 on it. I'm not a man of science so who discovered it really doesn't matter. If, however, my brick is examined by folks at the Smithsonian and they say that my brick signifies the end of the next meteor shower, and the scientists at UofCal Berkley and Cambridge both back up that interpretation, then that's a pretty good published theory from men of science and I would tend to believe them based on what I know of those institutions. However, if Dr. Claude Calidahopper from the Algebra Department at Minnesota State University says that they are all wrong and that August 14, 2012 actually signifies the end of Uranus circulating the sun as we know it, well, Dr. Calidahopper may be a "man of science" but that doesn't mean his theory is supported by most men of science.

See, the main difference between myself (maybe arouet and others?) is that we tend to acknowledge/accept the conclusions of the "men/women of science" at Berkley, Cambridge, MIT, etc., whereas the Scepcops of the world (Icke, Jarrah White, etc.) would tend to believe "men of science" like the Dr. Calidahoppers...

At least, that's the way I see it...
Last edited by ProfWag on 14 Aug 2012, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 14 Aug 2012, 03:03

By the way, my last post made me think of a joke...

What does toilet paper and the Starship Enterprise have in common?

Scroll down...

keep scrolling...

A little more...

One more scroll...

So what does toilet paper and the Enterprise have in common?
They both circle Uranus searching for Klingons...
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 14 Aug 2012, 03:59

So, aside from that dumbass joke (no pun intended) you're saying that unless the info comes from a source that is of your personal group of acceptable sources, and obvious affiliations that are acceptable to you, only then can the information be considered valid.

So if a highly acclaimed scholar from the right University says that he/she believes in UFOs and little green men, you're gonna accept them? I find that as hard to believe as you accepting the same thing said by some guy with a six pack and a pick up truck.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 14 Aug 2012, 20:38

NinjaPuppy wrote:So, aside from that dumbass joke (no pun intended) you're saying that unless the info comes from a source that is of your personal group of acceptable sources, and obvious affiliations that are acceptable to you, only then can the information be considered valid.

So if a highly acclaimed scholar from the right University says that he/she believes in UFOs and little green men, you're gonna accept them? I find that as hard to believe as you accepting the same thing said by some guy with a six pack and a pick up truck.

Uhm, maybe that's the way it sounded, but it's not really accurate. I prefer to look at what's generally accepted by those in the field of choice. One person's opinion does not do much for me at all. Take Gary Schwartz for example. Well respected at the University of Arizona, a Harvord Ph.D, and a tenured professor. His opinion holds some merit with me, but why is he virtually the only one still conducting experiments on the those that talk to the dead? If he can't get anyone else on board with his opinions, that tells me something.
ProfWag

Postby really? » 14 Aug 2012, 21:17

NinjaPuppy wrote:So, aside from that dumbass joke (no pun intended) you're saying that unless the info comes from a source that is of your personal group of acceptable sources, and obvious affiliations that are acceptable to you, only then can the information be considered valid.

An educated considered opinion has more weight. Whereas opinions based on what appear to be the opposite do not have as much weight or no weight.

NinjaPuppy wrote:So if a highly acclaimed scholar from the right University says that he/she believes in UFOs and little green men, you're gonna accept them? I find that as hard to believe as you accepting the same thing said by some guy with a six pack and a pick up truck.

No. That's not what Profwag meant. This is what he means.
Because and no matter how acclaimed someone is, once they start opining outside their area of expertise, their opinion carries no more weight than anyone else's.

If you look at the total of all human history nothing has changed in how we conduct ourselves. I have no doubt this way of doing things will continue through to the end of the year and beyond.
really?

Postby really? » 14 Aug 2012, 21:19

I predict that the scepcops of the world will conduct business as usual.
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Aug 2012, 00:40

ProfWag wrote:I prefer to look at what's generally accepted by those in the field of choice. One person's opinion does not do much for me at all.

Yes, I totally agree with you on this point.
ProfWag wrote:Take Gary Schwartz for example. Well respected at the University of Arizona, a Harvard Ph.D, and a tenured professor. His opinion holds some merit with me, but why is he virtually the only one still conducting experiments on the those that talk to the dead?

Gary Schwartz is an excellent example. As for your question: "but why is he virtually the only one still conducting experiments on the those that talk to the dead?" wouldn't it be perfectly normal for one particular person to concentrate all their time and energy into a specific project? Isn't that how so many medical breakthroughs and cures have been developed? I don't know how many men and/or women were playing around with radioactivity back in the early 1900s but Marie Curie sure did stick with her little pet project.
ProfWag wrote:If he can't get anyone else on board with his opinions, that tells me something.

One thing that this can tell me is that only he has the determination and drive to withstand the ridicule of his peers and organizations such as the JREF (just to name one) who's members have different attitudes such topic material.

Many R&D projects were complete failures in their fields yet yielded substantial 'surprise' outcomes in others. Without that person with a hell bent mission to ignore the dismal failures and negativity, many advances in medicine and technology would have perhaps never happened or taken decades longer to discover.
NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions