View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Parapsych: "Astrologers unable to perform above chance"

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

Parapsych: "Astrologers unable to perform above chance"

Postby NucleicAcid » 31 Mar 2010, 07:02

When skeptics turn out a report on astrology, there is always inerrant bias. However, when it's the psi researchers doing it, and they don't find anything, well, there is certainly less Type II Error bias (false negative).

From the Journal of Consciousness Studies:

Abstract: Many astrologers attribute a successful birth-chart reading to what they call intuition or psychic ability, where the birth chart acts like a crystal ball. As in shamanism, they relate consciousness to a transcendent reality that, if true, might require a re-assessment of present biological theories of consciousness. In Western countries roughly 1 person in 10,000 is practising or seriously studying astrology, so their total number is substantial. Many tests of astrologers have been made since the 1950s but only recently has a coherent review been possible. A large-scale test of persons born less than five minutes apart found no hint of the similarities predicted by astrology. Meta-analysis of more than forty controlled studies suggests that astrologers are unable to perform significantly better than chance even on the more basic tasks such as predicting extraversion. More specifically, astrologers who claim to use psychic ability perform no better than those who do not. The possibility that astrology might be relevant to consciousness and psi is not denied, but such influences, if they exist in astrology, would seem to be very weak or very rare.

Whelp. I used to study astrology, to a fair bit too. I mean, there is a TINY possibility it might still relate to things, but this puts a RATHER large damper on the subject.

Hey, you there. Yes, you. Read more journal articles.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!

Re: Parapsych: "Astrologers unable to perform above chance"

Postby Nostradamus » 31 Mar 2010, 08:24

The problem I have always had with astrology is that it claims to be predictive, but it failed to predict: Neptune, Uranus, Pluto, or anything that wasn't visible to the naked eye.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.

Return to Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions