View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Witches

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

Witches

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2009, 06:45

Ciscop posted the results of a poll in another topic that caught my eye. I felt it was more appropriate to bring the topic here.

Three in Four Americans Believe in Paranormal
About three in four Americans profess at least one paranormal belief, according to a recent Gallup survey. The most popular is extrasensory perception (ESP), mentioned by 41%, followed closely by belief in haunted houses (37%). The full list of items includes:

Believe in: %

Extrasensory perception, or ESP 41
That houses can be haunted 37
Ghosts/that spirits of dead people can come back in certain places/situations 32
Telepathy/communication between minds without using traditional senses 31
Clairvoyance/the power of the mind to know the past and predict the future 26
Astrology, or that the position of the stars and planets can affect people's lives 25
That people can communicate mentally with someone who has died 21
Witches 21
Reincarnation, that is, the rebirth of the soul in a new body after death 20
Channeling/allowing a 'spirit-being' to temporarily assume control of body 9

A special analysis of the data shows that 73% of Americans believe in at least one of the 10 items listed above, while 27% believe in none of them. A Gallup survey in 2001 provided similar results -- 76% professed belief in at least one of the 10 items.

And here is the link: http://home.sandiego.edu/~baber/logic/gallup.html

I found it odd that only 21% of those polled believed in Witches.

Ciscop -and yes 21% of people in united states according to the university of San Diego poll (in 2005) believes in witches! .. and by the way.. what do you mean with ¨only¨? thats like 1 out of 5 people beliving in witches!.. i find that quite interesting.
i guess that by witches they also include mediums and psychics (perhaps?). and 73% of Americans believe in at least one of the 10 items listed above so 3 out of 4 americans believe in paranormal stuff
fun facts

I went to that gallop poll link to see if there was anymore information as to what they were referring to as 'Witches'. It had no other words attached to the description. It was the only question on that entire poll to use a one word question with any definition. Here is why I find it odd to believe that only 21 percent of the people polled believed in Witches:

The United States Military Courts of Justice have spoken upon the subject of Wicca/Witchcraft. The United States military courts have upheld the rights of Wiccans and have found Wicca to be a bona fide religion meritorious of First Amendment protections: United States v. Phillips, 42 M.J. 346 (1995); and 38 M.J.42. Judge Wiss, who wrote the concurring opinon in that case, stated: "First, Wicca is a socially recognized religion. It is is acknowledged as such by the Army. See Dept. of the Army (DA) Pamphlet 165-13-1, Religious Requirements and Practices of Certain Selected Groups: A Handbook for Chaplains (April 1980), revising A Pamphlet 165-13, Religious Requirements and Practices of Certain Selected Groups: A Handbook for Chaplains (April 1978). Further, it is acknowledged as such in courts of law."

Not to mention the numerous articles easily found on the Salem, Mass. witch trials complete with Court transcripts. Here is one as an example: http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... SA_REC.HTM

I will take it that you yourself do not believe in Witches? Since this poll does not attach any other definitions or suggestions to the word, what makes it so hard to believe?
NinjaPuppy

Re: Witches

Postby ciscop » 18 Aug 2009, 07:10

well i dont believe in witches
but.. lets remember that wicca is the religion that has increced the most in recent years
and those people like to call themselves witches
could it be that?

i personally think when people think of witches
they associated the word to psychics, mediums and gypsies

look what i found
In August 1999, Jack Harvey, pastor of Tabernacle Independent Baptist Churchin Killeen, Texas, allegedly arranged for at least one member of his church to carry a handgun during religious services, "in case a warlock tries to grab one of our kids [...]. I've heard they drink blood, eat babies. They have fires, they probably cook them [...]." During the speeches which preceded his church's demonstration against Wiccans, Rev. Harvey allegedly stated that the U.S. Army should napalm Witches. One of the protesters carried a sign which read "Witchcraft is an abomination" on one side and "Burn the witches off Ft. Hood" on the other. A Wiccan faith group is active at Ft. Hood, a large army base near Killeen.[31]

In 2008, Jim Piculas, a substitute teacher at Charles S. Rushe Middle School in Land O' Lakes, Florida, was reported to have lost his job for "wizardry." Piculas performed a sleight of hand trick in front of students, making a toothpick seem to disappear using concealed adhesive tape. In a phone conversation with Piculas, an administrator is claimed to have told Piculas that he had been "accused of wizardry." School officials later informed reporters that wizardry was "just one of the reasons Piculas was let go."[32]

http://www.teenwitch.com/religiousfreedom/forthood.html

so.. yes.. people believe in witches and warlocks still.. wow
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2009, 07:36

ciscop wrote:well i dont believe in witches
but.. lets remember that wicca is the religion that has increced the most in recent years
and those people like to call themselves witches
could it be that?

Yes, I'd agree that most witches have only recently come out of the broom closet. However, the word and the definition goes back centuries. The fear of witches created mass hysteria in the 1600s.

i personally think when people think of witches they associated the word to psychics, mediums and gypsies

I personally think of old women with pointy black hats riding on brooms in the moonlight, black cats, and bubbling cauldrons. As a matter of fact, Walt Disney did quite a bit of his work centered around witches. It would be the Disney portrayal that would suggest 'fortune telling' such as "Mirror, mirror on the wall..." and so on.

I am going to break down the question a bit more. Is it Witches as a recognized religion that you don't believe in or is it people who claim to be Witches possibly possessing any iota of some sort of supernatural powers?
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2009, 10:41

Now here's another one that made me wonder...

B. That people on this earth are sometimes possessed by the devil
......................................Believe in...............Not sure about........... Don't believe
------------------------------------------42--------------------------13-------------------------- 44

Channeling/allowing a 'spirit-being' to temporarily assume control of body
------------------------------------------9---------------------------20---------------------------70

Aside from religious belief....why do the exact same same people not believe in 'spirit-beings' being able to temporarily assume control of body but the devil can sometimes possess someone?

Yet they have a close percentage in belief of ghosts?
Ghosts/that spirits of dead people can come back in certain places/situations
----------------------------------------32---------------------------19-------------------------48

Does this not seem to make sense?
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 19 Aug 2009, 00:00

uuh.. i just dont believe in
pointy hat witches with a black cat that use cauldrons and fly on brooms
also i dont believe in some versions of it that i have found in southern mexico, guatemala and peru
that make love potions, ¨make a cleaning¨ with an egg and sell candles to purify the soul...

about the ghost thing.. well.
maybe people dont understand the world channeling or refuse to believe in it, who knows.
i just think is a step further.. seeing a ghost.. well a lot of people have a story.. but channeling a ghost.. how many people you know not fascinated by this topic that have a story about that?.
people talk all the time about ghosts, but not about chanelling... chanelling is only reserverd for the guys that practice mediumship like sylvia browne and rosemary althea.
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Aug 2009, 00:13

ciscop wrote:uuh.. i just dont believe in
pointy hat witches with a black cat that use cauldrons and fly on brooms
also i dont believe in some versions of it that i have found in southern mexico, guatemala and peru
that make love potions, ¨make a cleaning¨ with an egg and sell candles to purify the soul...

about the ghost thing.. well.
maybe people dont understand the world channeling or refuse to believe in it, who knows.
i just think is a step further.. seeing a ghost.. well a lot of people have a story.. but channeling a ghost.. how many people you know not fascinated by this topic that have a story about that?.
people talk all the time about ghosts, but not about chanelling... chanelling is only reserverd for the guys that practice mediumship like sylvia browne and rosemary althea.

Excellent point on the 'channeling' word being of the question. Thank you. Understood.

I'll need to discuss the 'witches' part later as I have a work issue that requires my attention today. Real life always seems to get in my way when I'm having fun. :D
NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 20 Aug 2009, 03:01

couple of American ?? ones - not overly impressed with these - sensationalised somewhat

you may wind this link interesting : http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/polcrt/WitchHistory.html

like most things - witchcraft is misunderstood - misrepresented ( particularly by Hollywood ) - and of course the modern trend for wannabe witches - is a direct link to wannabe psychics and wannabe - demonologists - most people who espouse these things ,frankly are full of shit !! - having read a few books or seen some TV show and then declare themselves as whatever - having little real knowledge of the subject

however - there are genuine practicing witches still in England - mainly white witches - i know one locally who - having spoken to her at some length has impressed me with the scope and depth of her knowledge ( she agrees with me about wannabe witches too ) - the history of persecution of witches ( or supposed witches ) is interesting - especially matthew Hopkins time as the self styled "witch finder general " and his activities

a complex subject that will rely on in depth study to be able to accurately opine on and beyond my knowledge - however another aspect of my time on Dartmoor ( Devon -England ) was the frequent rumors of covens operating in the area and there where some local women who where supposedly witches - usually living alone in remote parts of the moor - but they where respected and left in peace ( on the whole )

there have of course been "wise women " way before whitcraft ( per Ce ) was defined - mainly local "healers" much respected if not feared by the local communities
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Aug 2009, 04:04

brett wrote:and of course the modern trend for wannabe witches - is a direct link to wannabe psychics and wannabe - demonologists - most people who espouse these things ,frankly are full of shit !! -

Excellent description. Once again makes it hard to sift through the miniscule available information to do any research at all when you can spend a lifetime with the wannabe crowd.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Aug 2009, 04:18

Your video example was good. I particularly enjoyed hearing dear departed 'Freddy' belt out that song. Do you know the name of it? It would probably be by 'Queen' - Freddy Mercury singing. I have never heard it before and would like to be able to purchase it.

I believe the one thing that is never pointed out is that the bulk of those tortured and killed never once said they WERE witches. They were accused, and rarely if ever, self proclaimed.
NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 20 Aug 2009, 11:57

noo problemo - for all things queen go here :http://www.queenpedia.com/index.php?title=A_Kind_Of_Magic_(song) - they give all the details of the words and what albums that one was on ( i like their music too funnily enough ) ;)

as to witches being innocent - yes quite right most only changed their plea to attempt to save their lives - which it did not most times :?
brett

Postby brett » 20 Aug 2009, 12:13

ciscop opined :people talk all the time about ghosts, but not about channeling... channeling is only reserved for the guys that practice mediumship like sylvia browne and rosemary althea.

actually quite a few genuine psychics do it - but its only the glory merchants that write books and crave publicity we tend to hear about :x - what you have to remember is that many with psychic ability don't want to be in the lime light and just use their gift without publicity - or any thought of materialistic rewards

trouble is that people tend to base their take on "psychics" ( mediums ) on what they hear /read of the so called big names ( whose books i have read and are mainly full of the proverbial IMO ) - or worse the TV ghost hunting "psychicks " :roll: :roll:

as always - look for the motive !! - in many cases this is self aggrandisement and money ( usual story ) :roll: the genuine variety use what ability they have for the benefit of others with no thought of material reward ;)
brett

Postby ciscop » 20 Aug 2009, 13:34

nice video brett
quite cool

and im still yet to see a genuine psychic or someone with a gift
:D
ciscop

Postby brett » 20 Aug 2009, 19:10

ciscop wrote:nice video brett
quite cool

and im still yet to see a genuine psychic or someone with a gift
:D

you may well wait a LONG time ciscop - a long long time - i have only ever met one so far ( or at least one i would give ANY credence to ) - and boy have i met a lot of fakes :roll: - but there are the odd one or two out there if you look beyond the "big names "
brett

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Aug 2009, 20:24

Very nice signature/tag line that you have there Brett :lol:

And... thanks so much for that link.
NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 20 Aug 2009, 22:30

NinjaPuppy wrote:Very nice signature/tag line that you have there Brett :lol:

And... thanks so much for that link.

as always nooo problemo :D - and as i have always said - "if you cant beat em - annoy em !!" ( feel free to use that if you want )
brett

Next

Return to Religion / Theology