View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Introductions and Thoughts

Introduce yourself here!

Introductions and Thoughts

Postby ProfessorX » 13 Sep 2009, 09:54

Just found this site this summer, lurked for a bit, finally decided to post. I'm very interested in paranormal phenomena and the "debate" over its validity. I'm very skeptical of "pseudo-skeptics" and am curious about the psychological and cultural factors that shape and influence their hyper-skepticism.
-
-
Last edited by ProfessorX on 01 Oct 2009, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
ProfessorX
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 09:36






Re: great site

Postby soldiergirl » 13 Sep 2009, 11:08

Gee you wouldn't happen to be David Kroenig aka slimking (don't know why he calls himself slim-ever seen one of his videos on youtube?) aka professor?
soldiergirl
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 08 Sep 2009, 13:40

Re: great site

Postby ProfessorX » 13 Sep 2009, 11:22

soldiergirl wrote:Gee you wouldn't happen to be David Kroenig aka slimking (don't know why he calls himself slim-ever seen one of his videos on youtube?) aka professor?


Why, yes! I am David Kroenig, aka slimking, aka professor! How did you ever guess? You must be psychic. ;)
ProfessorX
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 09:36

Re: great site

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Sep 2009, 21:13

Well, whoever you are.... Welcome!
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: great site

Postby The Warrigal » 14 Sep 2009, 10:39

Hello Professor X.
The Warrigal
 
Posts: 119
Joined: 22 Jun 2009, 11:44

Re: great site

Postby ProfessorX » 22 Sep 2009, 04:00

Scepcop wrote:If you are "The Professor", then why did you have to change your screen name or create another one? You were not banned, so what is the point of coming with another identity? I don't get it.

And why did you claim to be a lurker who only started posting now?


I think I need to re-introduce myself!

I am not "The Professor" or David Koenig, or anyone else who has posted here with another username. I did sarcastically "admit" to being this Professor person because one particular poster kept accusing me of being this David guy, and it was quite annoying, so I tried to respond with some humor. I think that approach has ended up simply confusing everyone, lol.

I am indeed a lurker who just started to post, and I took on the username ProfessorX because of my academic background and also because I'm an X-Men fan and thought the name of a psychic superhero professor was apropro for this site.
ProfessorX
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 09:36

Re: great site

Postby ProfessorX » 22 Sep 2009, 04:26

indeed..
once again he was outsmarted by a much clever group than him
(which is pretty much everybody else in the world)
:-D

for a magician
this is the worst guy at deception that i haver ever seen
please, go back to children parties dressed as the clown you are
stop with this nonsense that you are a mentalist
is bad for the real performers of the art


This is really fascinating! You seem so certain that I'm really the "Magician" you speak rather disapprovingly of. I'm curious, are you someone who identifies as a skeptic? If so, to what extent are you skeptical of your own beliefs, especially of those beliefs you feel absolutely convinced are true?

Is there any proof that I can offer that will convince you I'm not who you think I am? Obviously, denying I am the magician isn't going to work. And, also having read some the magician's posts in this forum, the fact that his posting style is very different from mine doesn't seem to have any effect on your belief. Perhaps you don't even notice the difference in posting/writing styles?

Have to say, even though I was initially annoyed about being accused of being someone who I am not, this has been the most interesting welcome to any new forum I've ever posted on!
-
-
ProfessorX
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 09:36

Re: great site

Postby NinjaPuppy » 22 Sep 2009, 06:34

Again, Welcome to the forum. Some of our regular members are a bit quick to make assumptions based on no factual evidence. Since you say that you have lurked around since this summer, then you don't require any explanations as to what may have set them off when they saw your log in name.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: great site

Postby ProfessorX » 22 Sep 2009, 11:47

NinjaPuppy wrote:Again, Welcome to the forum. Some of our regular members are a bit quick to make assumptions based on no factual evidence. Since you say that you have lurked around since this summer, then you don't require any explanations as to what may have set them off when they saw your log in name.


Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I had some idea of the person I was being compared to, but, I didn't realize that the other "Professor" has some sort of reputation here. What's kind of funny about posters jumping to assumptions about me based on zero factual evidence is that at least one of those members is a self-identified skeptic, lol.

Oh, the irony. ;)
ProfessorX
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 09:36

Re: great site

Postby ciscop » 22 Sep 2009, 14:28

oh you havent met the professor yet
i do
:-) i have seen how he works first hand in this and other forums
and i still not sure who you are
we will see
but i did see your post about wiseman
and i thought.. man... i guess koenig is sober now cause he is making a good argument

who knows ;)
Last edited by ciscop on 22 Sep 2009, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: great site

Postby ciscop » 22 Sep 2009, 14:40

ProfessorX wrote:
soldiergirl wrote:Gee you wouldn't happen to be David Kroenig aka slimking (don't know why he calls himself slim-ever seen one of his videos on youtube?) aka professor?


Why, yes! I am David Kroenig, aka slimking, aka professor! How did you ever guess? You must be psychic. ;)


this is why we thought you were koenig
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: great site

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Sep 2009, 00:20

ProfessorX wrote:Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I had some idea of the person I was being compared to, but, I didn't realize that the other "Professor" has some sort of reputation here.


I do believe that the 'other Professor' has quite a reputation on MANY assorted forums. If you do a bit of back reading here, you will see what I mean.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: great site

Postby ProfessorX » 25 Sep 2009, 02:10

ciscop wrote:
ProfessorX wrote:
soldiergirl wrote:Gee you wouldn't happen to be David Kroenig aka slimking (don't know why he calls himself slim-ever seen one of his videos on youtube?) aka professor?


Why, yes! I am David Kroenig, aka slimking, aka professor! How did you ever guess? You must be psychic. ;)


this is why we thought you were koenig


Hey, if I'm supposed to be this magician guy, I want to make sure I know what my name is and how it's spelled - so, is it KRoenig or Koenig? :twisted: ;) :)

(smileys intended to make clear that I make this post in jest and am not seriously suggesting that I am in fact this Kroenig or Koenig person) :)
ProfessorX
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 09:36

Re: great site

Postby NinjaPuppy » 25 Sep 2009, 02:18

ProfessorX wrote:Hey, if I'm supposed to be this magician guy, I want to make sure I know what my name is and how it's spelled - so, is it KRoenig or Koenig? :twisted: ;) :)


For the record it's Koenig. :P

And to clear up another situation, don't bother with Soldiergirl or any of her 'incarnations' either. She has been banned.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Introductions and Thoughts

Postby ProfessorX » 01 Oct 2009, 23:42

I changed the title of this thread because there are some personal stuff I'd like to share about my personal views and experiences with the paranormal or pseudo-paranormal. None of the other forums seemed appropriate and I thought this thread could be a "mini-blog" of sorts for me to share things with like-minded persons.

One incident that I'd like to share is one that I haven't told anyone about, mostly because it's an unpleasant memory and I'm embarrassed about what had occurred. Long story short - I allowed myself to get duped by a fake psychic, got conned out of a thousand dollars, and nearly gave away more money before I was able to realize what was going on. This occurred about five years ago when I was in my mid-30s.

I've thought long and hard about everything that transpired, but I've never put those thoughts down in writing or told my story to anyone else. Clearly, I've been wanting to share my experience with someone, but didn't know who to turn to, especially since I still am open to the paranormal and feared having to justify that in light of being conned by a fake. Well, in the safety of anonymity and within a community of "believers," I'm going to tell that story here in this thread, a piece at a time. Can't do it in one post, it would take forever to write!

I welcome comments and thoughts, and stay tuned for the first "chapter" of my story. :)
ProfessorX
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 Sep 2009, 09:36


Return to Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests