View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why is there something and not nothing?

Discussions about Metaphysics, Quantum Physics, the Holographic Universe and the Nature of Reality.

Re: Why is there something and not nothing?

Postby Alan McDougall » 03 Aug 2012, 05:19

Arouet wrote:
Alan McDougall wrote:HI Arouet,

I dont dispute the wisdom of your replies, the universe might be " All-That -Is"and it might be self aware and intelligent itself?

It's possible - what is the evidence in favour of that?

The usual albiet cicumstancial evidence, such as the perfect fundamental constants needed for life, love and moral absolutes etc.

What we call Existence might contain an infinity of universes all contained within an infinitely huge Mega-universe. Each universe might have different fundamental constants and things miight be very strange there indeed.

right

This Existence is what I believe most people mistake for a religious god , Existence drives itself and not always in the mindless way that some suppose.

Possibly - but what evidence supports that?

The expanding evolving universe, the on going evolution of life

What we must avoid doing is substituting our own personal gut instinct for the lack of evidence.

Right!
Alan McDougall

Re: Why is there something and not nothing?

Postby Arouet » 03 Aug 2012, 05:47

The usual albiet cicumstancial evidence, such as the perfect fundamental constants needed for life, love and moral absolutes etc.

as I mentioned above, there is reason to doubt that this is true.

I don't know that there are moral absolutes or that perfect fundamental constants are needed for them. In any event, scientists don't believe that the laws of physics are constant in the universe.
Arouet

Previous

Return to Metaphysics / Quantum Physics / Nature of Reality