[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Skeptics wouldn't accept psi, even if science does : General Discussions - Page 3 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Skeptics wouldn't accept psi, even if science does

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Skeptics wouldn't accept psi, even if science does

Postby Student of Sophia » 24 Nov 2009, 08:13

Student of Sophia

Postby Nostradamus » 24 Nov 2009, 11:07

The problem in experiments is like someone being a referee in a sporting event in which their own child is a participant. It's hard to be fair. What is interesting here is that people are certain that psi exists even if it can't be demonstrated. One of the links discussed how psi could make it impossible or difficult to detect psi. This sounds like religion to me, i.e. it's faith based, rather than fact based.

To claim that "... I know psi is real." although it can't be demonstrated is faith. To consider the notion that psi is so capricious, or prone to issues that it can't be demonstrated tells me that for all practical purposes it does not exist.

People have a tendency to see patterns where there are patterns and where there are no patterns. Mathematical tools have been developed to see how good patterns really are. Double blind testing is used to remove the bias of the experiment from the experimenter. There are lots of ideas out there about how experiments should or can be done. Why doesn't any of this work for psi?

I can't say psi does not exist, but it seems that no psi capabilities or talents to date have tested positive.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Student of Sophia » 24 Nov 2009, 11:30

Student of Sophia

Postby ciscop » 24 Nov 2009, 13:28

For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Student of Sophia » 24 Nov 2009, 13:34

Student of Sophia

Postby ProfWag » 24 Nov 2009, 18:52

ProfWag

Postby Student of Sophia » 24 Nov 2009, 22:23

I have no doubt ProfWag, that in your mind, you believe we can only believe (or not) in parapsychology. You can't believe I experienced psi so you must believe that I only believe it. You can't even believe there's a greater than zero chance that I experienced psi, can you?

Of the two of us, you are the one with beliefs, even though your belief system demands that you not believe that. I have first-hand experience and parapsychology evidence. What do you have? Nothing but your (dis)belief based on (non)experience and (non)evidence.

It's almost as if skeptics are all deaf and trying to debunk music to a man who can hear. "You only believe you hear music." I can understand why they would wish to debunk music. Otherwise they would have to think about all the great music they are missing out on, and face the fact that there is something wrong with them. That would be rather depressing.

'He who has ears, let him hear.'
Student of Sophia

Postby ciscop » 25 Nov 2009, 00:37

For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Student of Sophia » 25 Nov 2009, 05:08

Student of Sophia

Postby ciscop » 25 Nov 2009, 08:12

ciscop

Postby Student of Sophia » 25 Nov 2009, 08:19

Student of Sophia

Postby ciscop » 25 Nov 2009, 08:55

ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 25 Nov 2009, 18:18

ProfWag

Postby Nostradamus » 25 Nov 2009, 22:06

Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 25 Nov 2009, 22:09

I'll post an amazing event that was not a UFO.

I've seen amazing things in the sky. Here is what happened. I was camped on an isolated part of the beach off Galveston, Texas. For those in the US it was Padre Island. Instead of crowding into the state park facilities I was several miles to the west on a dark beach. Gathered up some firewood and began to cook shrimp I had purchased from a local fisherman. A few minutes into the cooking the dark beach became very bright. It was a clear night and the stars were beautiful. Out of nowhere a bright light came out of the sky. It lit up the beach sand. I looked up into the sky and it was there and then gone.

UFO? Not at all. It was the brightest fireball I have ever seen. Spectacular! I've seen many bright meteors, but this was the best. Imagine a meteor that was more than a streak in the sky, but bright enough to cast shadows.
Nostradamus

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions