[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Was Randi Wrong about Uri Geller? : JREF / Randi Challenge - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Was Randi Wrong about Uri Geller?

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: Was Randi Wrong about Uri Geller?

Postby ciscop » 12 Aug 2009, 03:31

hahaha cant believe you brought Dr. Gary Schwartz
that guy is a quack! we can talk about it in other threads if you want
Geller IS A MAGICIAN
nothing more! he is doing magic tricks

all of those testimonials of people seeing him doing that.. are just that.. people getting fooled by a magician
geller is a skilled and charming magician, but A MAGICIAN nothing more..
Will you go down with him if he says he is a magician?? are you sure you want to go down with him?
i have people believing that what i do is for real, it doesnt matter if i tell them is a trick... (in canada a muslim accused me of being in a relationship with the devil and wanted me to get away from him).

so one last question
DO YOU THINK GELLER HAS CHEATED BEFORE OR NO?
by cheating i mean.. performing a gypsie glimpse, bending the spoon WITH HIS HANDS (no psychic ability) or using a magnet
and if he is CHEATING... WHY WOULD A PSYCHIC CHEAT?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ciscop » 03 Sep 2009, 00:31

so Scescop
do you think Geller Has CHEATED or not??
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 03 Sep 2009, 02:27

While being interview for receiving the Service to Magic Award in December 2008, Geller said
"I had the idea and cheekiness to call it psychic, in fact all I wanted was to be rich and famous."
Did you catch that? The Service to MAGIC Award...
ProfWag

Postby The Warrigal » 03 Sep 2009, 07:48

Hi Professor Wag.

I do recall that Uri Geller accepted the Service To Magic Award and also remember that he also impishly thanked the legions of sceptics who had pursued him for years giving him millions of dollars worth of free publicity in the process.

So yes. - I do think that Uri Geller finally "came out" as a magician rather than a psychic.

When Geller first visited Australia a long time ago now, he intially met with extreme sceptism from many Australian television interviewers who knew that he had worked as a magician for a while in his native Israel.

This was even before James Randi set out to expose Geller.

However, I must admit that Uri Geller handled those tough interviews very well.

He wouldn't be the first mentalist in the history of magic to imply that he had genuine psychic powers and he probably won't be the last.

For a "five trick pony" he has enjoyed a remarkable career.

The fact that Uri Geller is a magician who used trickery to create an illusion of psychic ability does not prove definitvely that psychic abilities do not exist, however.

Nevertheless, the Geller case holds several valuable lessons in caution for serious researchers into psychic phenomena.
The Warrigal

Postby ciscop » 03 Sep 2009, 12:22

ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 03 Sep 2009, 19:05

I agree Warrigal and ciscop. He was and is a magician. He has mastered his four or five tricks very well. He is good at what he does and is a master of promotion. Believing he has powers just shows how easy it is to fool the general population. He got rich off of what he did and thanks to people believing in his powers, he also helped countless other fake psychics get rich as well, all the while helpiing those that don't know that psychics are fake squander their life savings away. Again, criminal.
ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 03 Sep 2009, 23:58

here is a good example of how you should face off geller

http://psychicinvestigator.com/demo/GELRSKP.htm

im sure scescop or jon bennet wouldnt catch him because they want to believe
it is an object of faith for them
ciscop

Postby ciscop » 04 Sep 2009, 12:50

i guess scescop chose not to appear

how funny
and we skeptics are the narrow minded
yeah right...
ciscop

Postby soldiergirl » 08 Sep 2009, 13:59

Scepcop,

Exactly what is unexplained about Uri Gellar? If he cheated in some of his psychic abilities doesn't it reason that he cheated in all of them? If i was a true psychic with special powers not using sleight of hand I would never use sleight of hand for some performances. Its sad that in this day and age there are still people who believe in psychics. With so many real psychics out there isn't it amazing that not a one of them predicted 911...maybe they all had that week off and were vacationing.
soldiergirl

Postby ProfWag » 08 Sep 2009, 18:31

ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 08 Sep 2009, 19:23

ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 08 Sep 2009, 21:20

ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 09 Sep 2009, 00:19

ciscop

Postby Steve Knight » 13 Sep 2009, 04:51

I'd like ask a small favour of the members here. Due to technical problems my website, Uri Geller - a bibliography (http://www.zem.demon.co.uk) has been down for some time and as a consequence has slipped down the rankings almost into obscurity. At one time it was number three on Google when searching for Uri Geller. If people could just visit the site and perhaps have a quick browse around then hopefully it will be picked up on Google's radar once more.

To visit the site via Google please go to:

Many thanks.

Steve Knight
Steve Knight

Postby Woodguard » 21 Sep 2009, 11:11

Hi,
I think the real question here is did Uri always fake his spoon bending thing.
He was caught on video using magic(fake) tricks to bend spoons like Randi showed.
Did he always do it this way, I don't think so.

It is probably easier to fake bending a spoon on TV, with all the pressure to perform on time and every time.
And Uri does like being in the spot light.

I always felt Randi's attacks on Uri come from the fact that Uri has something Randi will never have, "A little bit of real magic".

Woodguard from Canada.
Woodguard from Canada.
Woodguard

PreviousNext

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge