[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
My correspondence with DragonCon re: participating next year : General Discussions - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

My correspondence with DragonCon re: participating next year

Discuss General Topics.

Re: My correspondence with DragonCon re: participating next year

Postby Scepcop » 18 Aug 2009, 04:52

That's good advice ciscop. I was already planning on focusing on ESP, ghosts and UFO's, where the evidence is the strongest. Of course I'm going to stick to my strengths in my side.

And yeah, I can pull stats out from Parapsychological journals of course. But the problem is, I'm not much of a numbers person. I'm more right brained. I prefer ideas and concepts. So I would have to work on that.

But a public debate doesn't usually get too deep into scientific details anyway. I've heard Shermer speak a lot and he makes very simple generalized statements. Nothing I can't handle.

Ninjapuppy, which skeptics say that the paranormal is nearly proven? Which contradiction are you referring to? The only contradiction I can prove is when they say that something doesn't exist, but then turn around and say that they never said that cause you can't prove a negative.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2009, 05:05

NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 18 Aug 2009, 05:21

For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2009, 05:37

NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 18 Aug 2009, 06:06

yep!
sorry for the sloppy copy paste
here is the link http://home.sandiego.edu/~baber/logic/gallup.html

and yes 21% of people in united states
according to the university of San Diego poll (in 2005)
believes in witches!
.. and by the way.. what do you mean with ¨only¨? thats like 1 out of 5 people beliving in witches!.. i find that quite interesting.
i guess that by witches they also include mediums and psychics (perhaps?).

and 73% of Americans believe in at least one of the 10 items listed above
so 3 out of 4 americans believe in paranormal stuff
fun facts :D
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2009, 06:17

NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2009, 06:46

Ciscop - May I suggest we take this discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=345

I'd hate to derail SCEPCOPS DragonCon discussion.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 18 Aug 2009, 21:38

ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 18 Aug 2009, 21:53

ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 19 Aug 2009, 00:36

yep, i also think
confidence is good
but that was overconfidence on your side Scescop

shermer is like the michael tyson of debating paranormal
that guy is always around the country debating creationism or ufos or whatever... (i heard he was arguing with a vending machine once)
so.. do prepare like anything you have prepared before
the good thing is you have like a year and a half i guess..
ciscop

Postby Scepcop » 24 Sep 2009, 14:55

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 24 Sep 2009, 15:00

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 24 Sep 2009, 15:04

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 24 Sep 2009, 20:48

ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 25 Sep 2009, 00:42

ciscop

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions