[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Psychics and Frauds : Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Psychics and Frauds

Discussions about Psychics and Psychic Phenomena, Extra Sensory Perception, Telepathy, Psi, Clairvoyancy, 6th Sense, Psychokinesis, etc.

Re: Psychics and Frauds

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Oct 2011, 00:37

To me, you're all youngin's.
NinjaPuppy

Postby _Ice_Ages_14_Aces_ » 08 Oct 2011, 01:53

_Ice_Ages_14_Aces_

Postby ProfWag » 08 Oct 2011, 02:06

ProfWag

Postby _Ice_Ages_14_Aces_ » 08 Oct 2011, 02:32

You're welcome, ProfWag....

I strongly agree with your belief that honest psychics don't do such things... Why? Well, why would a honest psychic use cold reading, hot reading, etc. when they can do what they claim to do?????

Personally, I don't believe in any famous psychic, e.g. John Edward, since I have seen enough evidence that they're using clever, rhetorical methods. However, I am open minded to conclude that such psychics exist if I see substantial evidence of it.

The only thing I believe deserves further research are parapsychological studies, especially The Ganzfeld.......
_Ice_Ages_14_Aces_

Postby Arouet » 08 Oct 2011, 03:01

Arouet

Postby craig weiler » 09 Oct 2011, 00:27

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.
craig weiler

Postby Craig Browning » 09 Oct 2011, 00:33

Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 09 Oct 2011, 00:38

I'm not sure what's controversial about my statement. Do you disagree that some people may believe they are psychic without actually being psychic? Do you also disagree that if that person told people they were psychic that they would still be considered honest? Do you disagree that some people may be naturally good cold readers and employ that technique without realising it?

The only way my statement could be incorrect would be if it were impossible to be wrong about one's psychic ability.
Arouet

Postby craig weiler » 09 Oct 2011, 02:26

The whole line of questioning is prejudicial. The true skeptical position in this case is that you don't know. The rest is biased skeptical assumptions. (But they are tempered by reasonable conditional statements. There is obvious bias, it's just not of the fanatical variety.)
craig weiler

Postby Arouet » 09 Oct 2011, 04:55

The question was what constitutes an "honest" psychic, not what contstitues a "genuine" psychic.
Arouet

Postby craig weiler » 09 Oct 2011, 07:53

I think, Arouet, that before you address such questions you should settle the main one. You really can't go off on these tangents unless you've established for yourself whether psychic ability is real.

If you think it's not real, then all psychics are deluded or frauds. Question resolved.

If you decide that it's real, then you have a different set of questions: How psychic does a person have to be before it is "enough"? How much of a reading is psychic ability and how much is cold reading?

The question you're raising makes no sense from a skeptical point of view, it just looks like a sleazy and biased insult of psychic people. (I don't think you intended that.)
craig weiler

Postby Arouet » 09 Oct 2011, 11:57

Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 09 Oct 2011, 18:55

Okay, I'm definitely going to show my skeptical bias with this question so I'll apologize in advance as I really do usually like to be open to things. I'm watching the news right now and they are discussing the missing baby Lisa Irwin and I'm wondering why a psychic hasn't found her yet. To our psychic friends, do you have any ideas or is that not something that psychics do? And this brings me to my next question, if hundreds of psychics offer their help and they all fail (which historically, they will fail to pinpoint a location but I'm sure water will come into the equation), does that make them a fraud or just a bad psychic?
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Oct 2011, 19:49

NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 09 Oct 2011, 21:12

Arouet

PreviousNext

Return to Psychic Phenomena / ESP / Telepathy