[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Bad Side of Woo : General Discussions - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

The Bad Side of Woo

Discuss General Topics.

Re: The Bad Side of Woo

Postby Nostradamus » 03 Apr 2010, 23:52

Plate tectonics isn't really a good example. It was the missing global description of geology that was missing. People knew it was missing.

And I do understand that the AIDS issue was a demonstration of the piece of the puzzle and not a single issue of proof.

You did claim loads and loads of proof so I expect that there are pieces of the puzzle available for inspection. If I were to choose plate tectonics demonstrations I could choose from many pieces of evidence.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby NucleicAcid » 04 Apr 2010, 00:08

Are you asking for loads and loads of proof,or are you asking for a single experiment?

Generally speaking, science works on loads and loads of proof, because it needs replication. Hence, Entangled Minds. Plus, I know I have linked to ALL sorts of studies in past posts.

For a recap of those, so you can get your Get It Now fix, I suggest Daryl J Bem's website:

This has two really good analyses of the Autoganzfeld database(s) (depending if you consider it all one big thing, or several large chunks)

Again, that's the tip of the iceberg. It's not that I don't have the studies (notice, unlike most Woo guys, I immediately have evidence when prompted for it? It doesn't seem to make a difference half the time though...). It's that there is SO MUCH of it that it's difficult to consolidate.

But I REALLY recommend Entangled Minds if you want the most concise, fact-filled recap of psi research. No use reinventing the wheel.
Hey, you there. Yes, you.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Apr 2010, 00:46

I took a quick glance through the GotPsi pdf and it looks to me like there is no proof for psi here. What did I miss?

Almost 30k people tested out assuming that people did not enter multiple times under different names. Yes, it's a larger experiment, but ...
Nostradamus

Postby NucleicAcid » 04 Apr 2010, 03:04

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Apr 2010, 03:42

Nostradamus

Postby really? » 04 Apr 2010, 03:49

really?

Postby NucleicAcid » 04 Apr 2010, 05:40

NucleicAcid

Postby ciscop » 06 Apr 2010, 02:54

[url]http://www.harvardscience.harvard.edu/culture-society/articles/neuroimaging-fails-demonstrate-esp-real
[/url]
there you go

:-)
yet another experiment showing no evidence for esp
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NucleicAcid » 06 Apr 2010, 05:09

NucleicAcid

Postby ciscop » 06 Apr 2010, 05:19

glad i could help you spreading the studies

same old excuse i seen before
¨they just showed how not to prove for ESP¨

:D
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby really? » 06 Apr 2010, 05:24

really?

Postby NucleicAcid » 06 Apr 2010, 05:58

I totally will give you that. I wish I could go back in time and punch every fake psychic, and that guy who tampered with RNGs in Rhine's lab. Yes, that would involve lots of punching and some roundhouse kicks (good real-world Isshinryu karate practice XD), but it would be all worth it in the end. :twisted:

:lol:

Realistically, though, I wonder how much it will take to overcome that checkered past? We've come very close many times, it seems like more psi research papers are being published in mainstream journals every year, even if they have to masquerade as "anomalous cognition." I guess time will tell. But I think this next decade will entail a large breakthrough.

NucleicAcid

Postby ciscop » 06 Apr 2010, 06:12

ciscop

Postby NucleicAcid » 06 Apr 2010, 09:03

Maybe. Which is why I think personal experience is so important as a contributing factor for belief. I bet if you took two groups of people, people who have had paranormal experiences, and people who have never had paranormal experiences, and gave them a balanced rundown of the information available, you would see that the people who had paranormal experience would be largely, "Wow, I KNEW I wasn't crazy!" and the people who have never had any paranormal experiences go, "...So? Even if it is real, which I doubt, it looks pretty pointless"

NucleicAcid

Postby ciscop » 06 Apr 2010, 09:39

mm...
i´ll say that personal experiences cant be relied on because memory isnt perfect and perception means everything
so no
personal experiences do not count

science doesnt work that way
ciscop

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions