[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Is Randi about to die? He says he's gay today. : JREF / Randi Challenge • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Is Randi about to die? He says he's gay today.

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Is Randi about to die? He says he's gay today.

Postby highflyertoo » 22 Mar 2010, 11:29

What has Randi's sexuality got to do with the paranormal? I think Randi has come out with it because he's about to die.Probably doesn't want his friends talking behind his back when he's dead.
Maybe this ''get it off his chest confession'' is another of James Randi's tricks before the curtain closes for the final time

How To Say It?
Swift
Written by James Randi
Sunday, 21 March 2010 12:37
Well, here goes. I really resent the term, but I use it because it’s recognized and accepted.

I’m gay.

From some seventy years of personal experience, I can tell you that there’s not much “gay” about being homosexual. For the first twenty years of my life, I had to live in the shadows, in a culture that was — at least outwardly — totally hostile to any hint of that variation of life-style. At no time did I choose to adopt any protective coloration, though; my cultivation of an abundant beard was not at all a deception, but part of my costume as a conjuror.

Gradually, the general attitude that I’d perceived around me began to change, and presently I find that there has emerged a distinctly healthy acceptance of different social styles of living — except, of course, in cultures that live in constant and abject fear of divine retribution for infractions found in the various Holy Books… In another two decades, I’m confident that young people will find themselves in a vastly improved atmosphere of acceptance.

Before publishing this statement, I chose to privately notify a number of my closest friends and colleagues — none of whom, I’m sure, have been at all surprised at this “coming out.” I’m prepared to receive the inevitable barrage of jeers and insults from the “grubbies” out there who will jump to their keyboards in glee to notify others of their kind about this statement, which to them will be yet further proof of the perfidy of the rationalist mode of life that I have chosen. Those titters of joy will be unheard over the murmur of acceptance that I confidently expect from my friends.

This declaration of mine was prompted just last week by seeing an excellent film — starring Sean Penn — that told the story of politician Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California. I’m in excellent company: Barney Frank, Oscar Wilde, Stephen Fry, Ellen DeGeneres, Rachel Maddow, are just a few of those who were in my thoughts as I pressed the key that placed this on Swift and before the whole world…

I should apologize for having used Swift as the venue to publish this note, an item that is hardly the focus of what we promote and publish here, but I chose the single most public asset I have to make this statement. It’s from here that I have attacked irrationality, stupidity, and irresponsibility, and it is my broadest platform. Here is where I have chosen to stand and fight.

And I think that I have already won this battle by simply publishing this statement.

Note: To hear an extensive discussion of this issue, please listen to my appearance on For Good Reason.
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo

Re: Is Randi about to die? He says he's gay today.

Postby Nostradamus » 22 Mar 2010, 13:21

Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby highflyertoo » 22 Mar 2010, 16:37

Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo

Postby Kevin Kane » 22 Mar 2010, 23:14

He's gay ... and a cyborg? If you screw someone with an artificial dick, is it really sex or just lego?
Kevin Kane

Postby Craig Browning » 23 Mar 2010, 00:38

DAMN! Someone beat me to it! :x

These links have more on the topic I guess...

Craig Browning

Postby Kevin Kane » 23 Mar 2010, 00:58

So James Randi lived a lie for most of his life? He created an illusion, and not a very convincing one at that.
Kevin Kane

Postby ciscop » 23 Mar 2010, 04:39

well
i really dont know what was the reason he chosed to come out this late at life
but well

who really cares what he does on the bedroom?
he is still bigger than life
and way smarter than most people on this forum

:lol:
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Nostradamus » 23 Mar 2010, 04:45

I have an odd feeling that Kevin trying to equate himself with Randi.
Nostradamus

Postby ProfWag » 23 Mar 2010, 05:13

Perhaps this post I'm typing should be in the off-topic thread, but here it goes: Why in the hell does anyone care if someone else is gay? I mean, I like slightly overweight blonde women. One of my peers likes skinny brunettes. Another friend (white female) likes black men. I think Ninja likes young boys ( :P ). I guess what I'm getting at is that most every person, who can be attracted to another person, has certain things they like and dislike. Who am I to say that it's not alright for a man to like another man, for a woman to like another woman, for Sally to like skinny old men, or for Joe the Bartender to like obese, asian women? Do people really care that much to feel they have to talk about them?
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Mar 2010, 05:47

NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 23 Mar 2010, 06:20

Phew, NP, I'm not a youngster.

Well back to the OP I never did find out what sexual preference has to do with the paranormal. I am not aware of any claims that being straight, or gay, or fancying eeyore was related to a better understanding of the paranormal or exhibiting paranormal abilities.
Nostradamus

Postby ciscop » 23 Mar 2010, 07:17

well
we know HF2 is a christian nut, so he is gotta be against homosexuals

and KK and koenig
arent the brightest people
not sure why somebody being gay strikes them as something bad or shameful
tolerance is a word way too hard for them to understand
i guess they missed the Sesame street show on that topic
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 23 Mar 2010, 07:49

ProfWag

Postby Maddogkull » 23 Mar 2010, 07:51

.................................................................Wow...................................................... Well who honestly is surpised....It was bound to come out eventually
Maddogkull

Postby highflyertoo » 23 Mar 2010, 09:28

Even in Randi's own letter he admit that the forum where he reveals his sexuality HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH what JREF investigates- ''I should apologize for having used Swift as the venue to publish this note, an item that is hardly the focus of what we promote and publish here''..........

If Randi wanted to have informed the public of his sexuality then he should of done it professionally or not at all. Using the Swift forum was a ''ploy'' to gain more popularity points from his brainwashed zombie pupils before his dies... So Randi's legacy is exactly what ''?''.
highflyertoo

Next

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge