[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
I'm a skeptic of any afterlife : Afterlife Research / Ghosts and Spirits • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

I'm a skeptic of any afterlife

Discussions about Afterlife Research, Survival Science, Near Death Experiences, Out of Body Experiences, Spirit Communication, Mediumship, Ghosts, Spirits, etc.

I'm a skeptic of any afterlife

Postby truthleaker » 23 Jul 2012, 22:30

I would like some evidence or proof of an afterlife. Even though I'm a skeptic I'm open to the possibility of an afterlife.
truthleaker

Re: I'm a skeptic of any afterlife

Postby ProfWag » 23 Jul 2012, 23:33

ProfWag

Postby truthleaker » 24 Jul 2012, 01:38

I was hoping you'd guys would provide me with some stuff nvm, lol
truthleaker

Postby ProfWag » 24 Jul 2012, 02:36

ProfWag

Postby Scepcop » 24 Jul 2012, 18:27

Go to the Afterlife section. Some evidence is posted in the threads there.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Craig Browning » 25 Jul 2012, 21:30

"Proof" of an after life, it could be argued, is a matter of one's own perspective. While 90% of the world (it seems, at times) take such things on faith alone, there's likewise a huge percentage that believe that one must earn that "next life". While that sounds like reincarnation thinking it's not completely; moving into a new existence or state of being, including such things as Heaven (or hell) are akin to the famed caterpillar metamorphosis; on one level we have ceased existing and yet, we return in a newer "higher" form.

The big issue is what survives after physical death.

I've been reading a book by J. Allan Danelek entitled "The Case for Ghosts -- An Objective Look at the Paranormal" (I strongly recommend it for the skeptic & believer alike in that it comes so close to offering that "balanced" sense of things you hear me preach about so often :D ). The author presents some wonderful suppositions with the earlier chapters delving into this very question; what is it that survives death if anything? What is the "soul"?

Danelek brings out several points of consideration that few seem to contemplate. Of course, I don't believe everything he suggests but at the same time, I feel he's closer to being on the "right" track with his views than not (and so I'm looking forward to reading his books on Reincarnation, etc.)

There have been some interesting articles over the past few years in Psychology Today, UTNE Reader, and TIME in which this issue is being discussed from a variety of perspectives; frequently sitting the orthodox/religious ideologies to the side and dissecting the idea of life after death from the more analytic point of view.

I'm very much a reincarnationist in that it, alongside the law of Karma, seem the only logical course in things if some part of our "ego" survives physical death. I'm simply not able to accept the idea that we are born to ultimately become worm food and fertilizer. Granted, that is very much the reality behind our physical shell, but I can't believe such to be "the ultimate goal", so to speak.
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 25 Jul 2012, 22:13

ProfWag

Postby truthleaker » 26 Jul 2012, 00:33

truthleaker

Postby ProfWag » 26 Jul 2012, 02:04

ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Jul 2012, 02:53

NinjaPuppy

Postby Randi McSheldrake » 26 Jul 2012, 05:39

"Doubt A; then doubt B. Then doubt both A and B. Then doubt your ability to doubt enough."
Robert Anton Wilson
Randi McSheldrake

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Jul 2012, 06:31

NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 26 Jul 2012, 06:43

that's how skeptics roll but not necessarily how atheists roll. There are plenty of atheists who believe in life after death - particularly in some buddhist camps.

There is no reason to believe that LAD necessarily entails a deity.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Jul 2012, 06:46

NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 26 Jul 2012, 06:53

Arouet

Next

Return to Afterlife Research / Ghosts and Spirits