[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
My Debate on Atheist Nexus : PseudoSkeptic Fallacies • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

My Debate on Atheist Nexus

Discuss PseudoSkeptics and their Fallacies. Share strategies for debating them.

My Debate on Atheist Nexus

Postby HurricaneHeidi » 25 Sep 2009, 11:38

I've been taking on a pack of atheist material reductionist skeptics on a Facebook group called "Atheist Nexus". I started a thread there called:

Consciousness - its Origin and Properties

http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topic ... 1#comments

I wanted to have a rational discussion of the Morphic Resonance and Morphogenetic Field theories postulated by Dr. Rupert Sheldrake. I challenged the material reductionists to prove their thesis that consciousness originates entirely from within the brain... but instead of a rational discussion, you will find just about every fallacy and ad hominem tactic described in the SCEPCOP thesis being used against me. I think I've held up rather well and made some excellent points... but I'm sick of their arrogant, bigoted double-standard of so-called scientific "proof".
"Hurricane" Heidi Guedel

"Scientists, animated by the purpose of proving themselves purposeless, constitute an interesting subject for study."
- Alfred North Whitehead
HurricaneHeidi

Re: My Debate on Atheist Nexus

Postby brett » 03 Oct 2009, 03:57

hi heidi - well that's skeptics for you :lol: - they are on the whole the same world over - some are more venomous than others - but basically conform to the same behavioral patterns

science ,ah the great and infallible science :roll: (- not like they have not got things wrong before ) - the problem you have to remember with adherents of "science" per Ce is that they only "KNOW " what they have been taught - most seem incapable of straying away from "perceived wisdom " - and thinking beyond that is usually not a sport they enjoy much , mainly because like many people in the world they have a "motive" and that is to ensure their funding ( vis jobs ) - and to be seen as good little boys and girls who wont rock the boat too much ( or in the case of the armchair Pskeptics , have a little TOO much "faith" in the pronouncements of science ,which to them is akin to a religion and any deviancy from it akin to heresy )

like wise our pseudo skeptics - only KNOW what they have been taught or what doctrine they have had forced upon them and again outside the box thinking is not a pastime they enjoy

the great thing is that we free thinkers - ponderers - whatever you want to call us ( oh sorry i forgot - woo's :roll: ) can and do consider all possibilities AND also are able to say "well WE disagree with science and think x is more likely the case or at least more possibly the case " - after all even the most RAMPENT Pskeptic can not disagree with this following statement :

of course they will try and say that the mere concept of ONLY one person out of the millions on the planet , actually knowing that truth is impossible , and of course if that truth does not happen to be in line with what they have been taught or believe ( and we have to remember that skeptics are as "MUCH " believers in a lot of ways as the "believers" are , if that makes sense )

so at the end of the day Heidi - you have to make your own judgements on what is that truth and be satisfied with that - if you go looking for confirmation of that judgement - then you will invariably meet up ( or fall foul ) of those with contra interpretations of that truth - its called holding an "opinion" and you have sometimes to defend that against all comers - regardless of how isolated that makes you feel , FOR if you get swayed by the views of others too much you are only pandering to THEIR version of the truth - for the sake of a quiet life or "fitting in "

as always just my opinion

oh and for the record - mind ( or essence or soul ) and brain ?? - two different entities ;)

regards
brett

Postby ProfessorX » 03 Oct 2009, 10:58

ProfessorX

Postby HurricaneHeidi » 04 Oct 2009, 10:55

"Hurricane" Heidi Guedel

"Scientists, animated by the purpose of proving themselves purposeless, constitute an interesting subject for study."
- Alfred North Whitehead
HurricaneHeidi

Postby Nostradamus » 15 Oct 2009, 10:58

Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby brett » 15 Oct 2009, 14:06

brett

Postby Nostradamus » 15 Oct 2009, 20:06

Didn't of that brett. I certainly have strong faith that the truth and politicians are separate and distinct.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Return to PseudoSkeptic Fallacies