[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
What is the appeal of loud music, darkness, bright lights? : Philosophy / Psychology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

What is the appeal of loud music, darkness, bright lights?

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

What is the appeal of loud music, darkness, bright lights?

Postby Scepcop » 17 Apr 2012, 20:22

I hope this question doesn't make me sound like a nerd, but I've never understood something. What is the appeal of nightclubs? I'm talking about places with darkness, disco lights and loud deafening music. What is so fun about that kind of environment? What's the appeal? How is it relaxing or pleasurable? I don't get it. Can someone explain?

First, the loud deafening noise in such places makes it hard to hear other people talking, so how can you have a conversation? It's funny how movies portray nightclubs and discos as places where people can talk and hear each other. lol

Second, the environment is dark with artificial disco lights spinning around. How is that fun, relaxing or pleasurable? It seems like an annoying experience with overstimulation - and very intrusive to one's "inner world". Plus the dark environment makes it hard to see people clearly. And the bright lights and loud music make it hard to think clearly, which subdues your awareness and consciousness.

How is this supposed to be a positive, fun, or relaxing experience? I don't understand the logic in it.

Also, how is drinking alcohol pleasurable? It just makes me feel dizzy, buzzed and lightheaded. I don't get how that is pleasurable enough to be addicting. Can someone explain this logically?

Apparently, I don't follow the "logic" of this world and am alien to it. Why?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: What is the appeal of loud music, darkness, bright light

Postby ProfWag » 17 Apr 2012, 20:48

Simple really...it's where people go who want to have sex but don't want to pay for a prostitute. People look better in the dark, their inhibitions go down when drinking, and who the hell cares what the person of the opposite sex is saying anyway since they are really only there for one thing. (I'm speaking generally, of course. I'm sure some go who don't want sex. Maybe. Someone.)
I know for me when I was going clubbing, I never went to bed with an ugly woman, but I sure woke up next to a lot of 'em! :oops:
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Apr 2012, 04:27

I'd say that ProfWag pretty much hit that nail on the head. While night clubs are not particularly great places for the reasons that SCEPCOP mentions above, they are a great place to observe people and their attempt to find Mr. Right or Mr. Right Now. :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 20 Apr 2012, 08:45

I empathize with your every complaint, SCECOP. However, ProfWag, even my inner Freudian knows better than to think I'll get laid if I go to a bar.

I hate the noise, hate the gloom. I also dislike alcohol. I love music, tho. Volume is not a problem if I like what is played, and a large percentage of bars I have gone to, Prof, I have gone to in order to hear a band.

Can't say I am a nerd, SCECOP, but I admit to being faggot and a geek of the older grosser sort, and a freak, Beat, and borderline dirty Hippie who is at ill at ease with sports work and women as Maynard G Crebs. My inner Freudian will also freely admit that a large number of times I have gone to bars for other purposes than music, the bars still featured exotic dancing, and most of the times I had sex outside of marriage did involve bars. An equally large number of visits to bars were social politeness, and a "nerdish" effort to, if not fit it, at least observe the behavior of the primates to see if I can simulate it as art.

In such circs, alcohol shuts off my chattering monkey mind. "Twain" no longer feels as if he is being hit on the head with a hammer, my Shakespearean monkey mind chatters without let, hindrance or worry about being understood, the ape's feet would even dance, if I wasn't descended from four generations of tee-totaling baptists with no sense of rhythm, and I am surrounded by Jungian archetypes of the hunters and maidens courting before a roaring fire to the wild beat of drums. "Then the world seems none too bad, and I myself a sterling lad."
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Postby Scepcop » 24 Apr 2012, 09:01

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 24 Apr 2012, 21:02

ProfWag

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 25 Apr 2012, 06:54

Being an actor, I do things to learn how they are done. The only "attraction" I have personally experienced from going to "discotechs", aside from the humiliation of sex, is "much like how tribal societies dance round the fire - it's a spiritual experience of bonding and pleasure" that I also referred to, and I have experienced, even in Discotech's with garage bands plaing Led Zepplin badly. It ain't complete Zen transcedance, but it is a divine blessing from the Titanic power Al Kohol, and one should be thankful for the blessing. A lot of idiotic proles live for it. Nerds have a hard time bonding with the primate band, unless they become shamans. Otherwise, SCECOP, you and I are the outsiders in a disco, who validate the rest as a primate bond. We are the scape goats in an Erotic rite, cast into the outer darness, prey to incubi, and will probably go blind from masurbation. Is it any wonder we hate it?

Prof, I LOVE the interplay between you and SCECOP so much that sometimes I suspect you two are employed by different branches of the CIA, and that this whole forum is a CIA fount of disinfo. Ninja, Craig, and I, plus others, appear to be dupes or fellow travelers of one army of the Night or another. And Prof, thanks for the tips on picking upgirls.
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Postby ProfWag » 26 Apr 2012, 21:43

ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 Apr 2012, 18:03

NinjaPuppy

Postby KimberlyHardacre » 05 Aug 2012, 16:23

It's all about the state in which we/you are, that is what selects what type of music you would wanna listen to, and in what way you wanna hear it :)
KimberlyHardacre

Postby Scepcop » 31 Dec 2012, 16:12

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby The23rdman » 31 Dec 2012, 19:22

Clubbing has changed. When I was clubbing in the 90's there was a big MDMA scene and the atmosphere and vibe was always one about togetherness, dancing and making friends. The music became you and elevated conciousness. The idea that only thick people enjoyed that is utterly and completely ludicrous. I met people from all walks of life who were there to escape the shackles of conformity and stifling social norms.

This vibe all changed when cocaine became affordable though. No drug kills a sense of community so readily.
If you think you know what's going on you're probably full of shit - Robert Anton Wilson
The23rdman

Postby pwil » 30 Dec 2013, 12:55

no thanks. I'll pass on that
pwil

Postby SydneyPSIder » 30 Dec 2013, 22:39

There's a core dimension of introversion/extraversion that tends to predict how much you'll like clubbing and the sensory experience -- lights, noise, etc. Ref Hans Eysenck.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Emily » 18 Jun 2014, 07:25

I suppose from a sensory perception perspective, people may enjoy dark, strobe-lit, loud music places because they create an adrenaline feedback loop as well as the illusion of anonymity. Throw in some alcohol to increase self-esteem… *shrug*
I don't particularly enjoy it, but I can understand the appeal.
Emily

Return to Philosophy / Psychology