[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Who or what is God? : Philosophy / Psychology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Who or what is God?

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

Who or what is God?

Postby Scepcop » 17 Dec 2011, 00:56

Deep thoughts from Darryl Sloan about who or what is God.

Darryl Sloan:
Discussing the idea of God from the perspectives of monotheism (God is a being), pantheism (God is the universe) and atheism (God is the Big Bang singularity). What light does modern science shed on this age-old question, especially in light of the motion of galaxies and the nature of energy?

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Who or what is God?

Postby Arouet » 17 Dec 2011, 01:09

God is the big bang singularity? WTF?
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 17 Dec 2011, 23:37

I'm still trying to figure out "Pantheism" referring to God as "the Universe". . . I always thought it referred to multiple deities vs. Universal Mind and the Akashic record.

Let me try to figure this out. . . In the beginning god found himself within a void. . .
:shock: Well, that's impossible. . . if all is made up of a great void then NOTHING can be there, right?

God sought to understand himself; who he was and what he was . . . or so goes the gist of the average mythos

Depending on which creation myth you are working with God either created a variety of sentient things to help him in this quest of self-realization or sub-divided himself into billions of parts so as to learn through the existence of each part as it made a carnal journey back towards spirit and becoming part of the greater whole. . . :?

Regardless, the act of creation involved a handful of physical reactions that seem to have happened all at once or in around the same time. . . certain "scholars" saying early October 8,000 b.c.e. or some such. . . nonetheless, the common thread is that a burst of brilliant light happened. . . a BIG BANG :o . . . and from mere thought God Created the Heavens & the Earth, the Stars of the sky, the sun & moon as well as every living thing upon Terra itself.

This is where it gets interesting; seems God now has a board of directors working with him and a host of different sentient beings including a massive army of Angels and Arch-Angels. As the tale goes however. . . "God said, let US go down and create man in OUR image"

OOPS! So much for the monotheistic perspective. . . at least that's the case for those clinging to the Abrahamic traditions (the only one that promotes such . . . and no, I'm not excluding Akhenaten (play /ˌɑːkəˈnɑːtən/), there are theories within both, the Jewish and Islamic schools of thought that suggest Akhenaten's tradition was a key factor to the evolution and creation of their theology.) This passage likewise sustains the "Hindu" creation tale which after all, serves as the exoteric covering to the Abrahamic traditions though Shiva & friends were replaced by Adonai and other earlier Gods & Goddess types (the Hebrew had several deities prior to Moses and the deal he made with Yahweh). This support stems from the idea that a group conscience was taken when it came to the more elevated entities that would govern this new domain. . . a.k.a. humankind. Then again, the first creator had a couple of booboos hit the fan, some believing that Lilith is still pulling the reigns here and there (so much for God being "Perfect" and without flaw. . . ).

This idea of a council and how said forum worked together when it came to making decisions goes a long way to supporting the latter idea -- Universal Conscience and Higher Mind.

While I've over-simplified things, it would seem that ALL OF IT actually works in tandem with one another even though the Monotheistic view tends to be more "selfish" in attitude and certainly more "human" when it comes to emotions and arrogance. A monotheistic deity means imbalance to all of creation, it's that simple; there are no checks & balances in place and thus, it is dictatorial by nature. Existing in a universe headed up by a megalomaniac ain't my idea of a good time; but living in an environment that allows the analytical and mystical to permeate the same over-all dimension. . . I think it works. ;)
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 18 Dec 2011, 00:20

Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 19 Dec 2011, 00:39

Craig Browning

Postby Jennett9 » 31 Dec 2011, 14:52

Anyway I always wonder what I would be like now/what my beliefs would be if I didn't go to private Jewish day school (I didn't have a choice, it was my mother and grandmother's choice and I had no say in the matter). My father had nothing to do with this because in his opinion (and I agree, not sure then but now looking back for sure yes) going to Jewish day school I would have no awareness of all other types of people (Spanish, African-American, etc.).

So my I have two main thoughts going through my head.

First off I do believe that there is some higher spiritual being around us (I don't believe in a GOD or some higher being residing "Up there")...he or she or it is around us.

However, the other, very dominant thought I have is "is there really a GOD?" I think this way and ponder this often due to all of the horrible things that happened and happen in our world evey day.

THE HOLOCAUST...do I need to say anymore? (I will don't worry). If there was a GOD why did this happen? (This is a rhetorical question because as we know we can't go back in time) but we are talking about 6 million jews who were killed and some million or more others that were killed as well, just because a horrible man, HITLER, didn't like them.

All of the wars and enemies that Israel has.

The Gulf War, SEPTEMBER 11, 2001, terrorism in general, children being killed by their parents, gang attacks, stores being robbed, people being mugged, kidnaps...you get my picture.

Again I wonder if there was a GOD watching over us, why have all of these awful things happened?
Jennett9

Postby Craig Browning » 01 Jan 2012, 03:34

Craig Browning

Postby Jayhawker30 » 01 Jan 2012, 17:47

God is us.

But we are bigger than we know.
Jayhawker30

Postby Lorraine Flores » 12 Jul 2017, 20:56

This theme is eternal, how many people, how many opinions, and it is very interesting for me to read posts on this topic
Lorraine Flores

Postby molakaj » 25 Oct 2017, 21:23

You have described all this well. That's what I meant, revelation!
molakaj

Return to Philosophy / Psychology