[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Why our gut instinct is usually right : Philosophy / Psychology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Why our gut instinct is usually right

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

Why our gut instinct is usually right

Postby Scepcop » 31 Aug 2011, 18:35

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Why our gut instinct is usually right

Postby Craig Browning » 01 Sep 2011, 01:38

So "Scientists" are confirming what Psychics have said and generally claimed for centuries? :o

Don't let the skeptics know, they'll not know what to do with themselves once word of this gets out :twisted:
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 01 Sep 2011, 02:17

My gut instinct tells me that Craig didn't really read the article and the SCEPCOP won't bother coming back to the thread anyway as he watches his forum die.

(how'd I do?)
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 01 Sep 2011, 04:55

ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 01 Sep 2011, 22:26

Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 02 Sep 2011, 07:27

I don't know what the mystics say, but the scope of the experiment was fairly narrow. The headline was a little optimistic.
Arouet

Postby Scepcop » 02 Sep 2011, 12:47

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 02 Sep 2011, 13:10

? I read the article. Somewhat interesting I guess, though I'm a little suspicious of the methodology (rating how one feels about an object?). Anyhow, I'm not sure what you think the significance of it is. Why do you think its interesting?
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 02 Sep 2011, 22:47

:lol: "How one "feels" about an item". . .

Well, skeptics don't tend to have feelings, do they? :twisted:

Granted, that's a two-sided statement in that it is a bit of a jab as well as a truth; Rationally Minded people are less sensitive when it comes to what their body "tells" them; their natural mode centers on listing to the "logic" passing through their mind -- carnal/tangible concepts vs. emotional and sympathetic energies. It's very hard for them to let go of this innate side of their being which is why most of them can't/wont accept the gist of things divine and/or paranormal; even Science has proven how we are each hardwired in ways that lean in one or the other direction.

Interestingly, the exact opposite is true when it comes to those that do "feel" and have a heightened sense of "Environmental Awareness" which, if you'll recall my plethora of posts that explain this point, isn't just how the elder mystics of old helped students to "awaken" their "psychic-centers" but it is likewise why persons in any given vocation cultivate an intuitive way of understanding and executing their job. On one level we are speaking of learned skill but on another level we are looking at that/those skills being placed on auto-pilot (second nature) and amped up with time and application (not "practice" but actual use of said techniques over time; the more you use it the stronger it becomes, just like muscle building)

Those that are empathic/sympathetic to their environment and things (able to tune-in, as it were) have difficulty when it comes to understanding hard logic and frequently see it as being a kind of denial and pronounced arrogance in that we have "Man" trying to make itself "God". . . or so is the thinking of some. but then you have those like myself, who can clearly see how either extreme actually has a point of mutual agreement but it's only obvious to those that are willing to set aside the labels and preconceptions they've been indoctrinated with; they need to stop agreeing with the ministers and start looking at the issue from every possible point of view in order to actually (and honestly) contemplate where the dots are and how they are or aren't connected. In my experience and in my many long chats with seasoned occultists and even noted skeptics, there are far more realistic dots that tie things together than not.

:?: I've mentioned a particular book on here several times "Wisdom of the Mystic Masters" (); it is THE BOOK I refer all of my students to be it those curious about the art of Mentalism or those wanting to cultivate their Psychic senses. I do so simply because this text cuts through a lot of the more questionable rhetoric, offering a more down to earth picture when it comes to cultivating Mental DISCIPLINE, which is the real distinguisher in my book; one must learn how to refine their mind and take control of it before you are even remotely prepared to handle the more surreal side of things. You need to be able to discern what is what and why; all factors taught in this simple, inexpensive book.

I'd like to encourage. . . super seriously encourage. . . the more ardent cynics we have on this board, to sit down and casually READ (not skim) the book and even give yourselves permission to work with the ideas outlined, doing so without preconceived expectations or projection. You should likewise take note as to how much of what this book covers in the initial 5 or so chapters, that you have already done, at least in part, as part of your own scholastic/academic life, you'll probably be surprised (I'm betting on it).

No, this won't give us "all the answers" but it will allow for a sense of perspective and quite possibly enough footing to better understand one another and not be as condemning and confrontational when it comes to the Psychic Issue.

Just a thought. . .
Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 03 Sep 2011, 04:11

Excellent post Craig!!!
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 03 Sep 2011, 07:56

That might be an interesting read.

But you do realise that that study wasn't about mysticism but rather normal everyday instincts in everyone.
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Sep 2011, 01:11

Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 04 Sep 2011, 12:45

Well, the craig you need to come up with a new lingo. Even if you are right the terms you use have been coopted by those who claim fantastic associations with them.
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Sep 2011, 23:35

Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Sep 2011, 01:56

NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to Philosophy / Psychology