[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Why do people have children? Expense without Profit : Philosophy / Psychology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Why do people have children? Expense without Profit

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

Why do people have children? Expense without Profit

Postby Scepcop » 02 Mar 2011, 23:16

I have an interesting but bizarre question.

Why do people have children? I mean, technically children are a big resource drain that require time, energy, and expenses, yet they don't produce any profit or tangible benefit to the parents in return (in most cases that is). So in accounting terms, they are a big expense item with no profit or return on investment (most of the time).

Normally, no one would get involved in something that was all expense and yielded no payoff right? So why do they make an exception with children?

I know that might be a hypocritical question, since all of us were children once who mooched off our parents and were a resource drain on them. But it's technically true regardless, that children only drain resources without providing tangible reward or income in return. They only provide "emotional satisfaction" and "love" I guess.

Are people generally genetically programmed to feel empty without children? Does Nature instill in people a desire for children, despite the cost and sacrifice?

If so, how come some people don't need them? Some people have no need for children and say they never want any, for instance. How come they aren't empty without kids?

I guess I could ask a similar question about pets too. Pets require expenses, food, vet bills, etc. but they yield no profit or return on investment. So why do people put up with them? It doesn't make much sense.

Sorry if these sound like cruel questions. I'm just wondering about them.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Why do people have children? Expense without Profit

Postby Arouet » 03 Mar 2011, 00:14

I think that we are genetically programmed to desire to pass on our genes. That's not to say that everyone will have that desire equally, but I do think there is some internal drive to propagate the species. That said, if one doesn't feel that drive there is nothing wrong with that and those people should feel no pressure to procreate. It's not like we need more kids or humanity risks extinction!

As for the bnefit. I've three kids, and yes they can be real pains in the butts and sometimes I want to wring their cute little necks. If I didn't have them I'd have less debt and much more free time.

That said, the benefit they provide to me in terms of happiness is not quantifiable in dollar terms. The cheer they raise when I come home is very rewarding. My 2 year old daughter crawling into bed with me at 7:00 a.m. to snuggle is nice. You get so much pleasure watching them grow up, seeing the world through their eyes, experiencing things for the first time.

Maybe when they are nasty teenagers I'll feel differently, but to me it hasn't been true that don't provide a benefit.

Looking at it more economically however, when I'm older, I may very well depend on them for support in my old age. I may depend on them to make decisions for me depending on my mental faculties, or help me accomplish certain tasks. So you can see it as an investment if you want to look at it that way.

But no one should feel pressure to have kids. If one doesn't want them then that's a pretty good reason not to have them!
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 03 Mar 2011, 03:09

I figured out decades ago, why little children look so angelic while they sleep. It's so you don't kill them for what they put you through when they are awake. :lol:

Those sleeping angel images carry through until they are out of the house and on their own. Otherwise none of us would survive past the age of 13.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 03 Mar 2011, 03:10

:lol:
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 03 Mar 2011, 03:47

Your daughter is what, two years old? Another 7 or 8 years and you won't be laughing. If you think that your wife's PMS is bad, wait 'till you see it in all it's glory from a teenage daughter. Trust me, it's not a pretty sight. I swear a teen with PMS can spin their heads around just like in the movie "The Excorcist" and she's in YOUR living room. Not on some movie screen.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 03 Mar 2011, 03:54

Arouet

Postby caniswalensis » 03 Mar 2011, 06:04

caniswalensis

Return to Philosophy / Psychology