View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Philosophical considerations on ouija

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

Philosophical considerations on ouija

Postby Yrreg » 13 Oct 2010, 07:29

Philosophical considerations on ouija.

What do I mean by philosophical considerations on ouija?

Suppose you anyone reading this thread just stick around and find out, okay?

Before anything else I want to commend most sincerely Scepcop for this forum, because he is a most fair owner and operator of a forum that I have ever seen in my whole history of experiences writing messages in web forums.

Specially forums owned and operated by atheists, they just make sure that you don't get to develop your thoughts with constructive inputs if any at all from atheist posters who are the vast majority congregating in such forums.

One of their non-constructive habits is to always approach everything that you have to say about anything that they already have closed their heart and mind to, with derision.

And when they notice that you are not going to be leaving on your own frustration they will start to move you out by resorting to warning and thus suspension and finally banning you for all kinds of flimsy grounds, the favorite of which is that you are attacking the poster instead of his arguments, like for example if you appeal to intelligent thinking they will say that you are insulting them by implying that they are not dong intelligent thinking.

Well, so much for all that.

What do I know from reading about ouija?

That it is a way of contacting the dead.

That it is a toy.

That it is dangerous, for example, it can drive you to commit suicide.

What about damage to properties? Not so much about that, except for abnormal movements and sounds of physical objects like table, chair, doors making strange noises, you get the idea.

No, no police reports about destructions of physical properties from ouija or owing to ouija.

Then for Christians, it is forbidden by God, because it is the door opening to evil spirits who can fool you that they are souls of the departed, but are really evil spirits who want to harm you spiritually and even physically, at least drive you mad, and you will lose your salvation thereby.

Okay, into philosophy now.

Is there an actual factual occurrence with ouija?

Yes, the planchette moves to letters and numbers and words as to spell out sentences in answers to questions the participants ask the spirits who are supposedly present on the invitation of the participants.

So, the occurrence actual and factual is the movement of the planchette.

If you were not humans and literate you would not be at all interested or even curious about its movement, it is no different from the movements of leaves in a tree when there is some wind blowing.

Dogs and cats which are the most intelligent animals living with humans don't pay any attention to leaves of trees moving in the wind.

What about dogs and cats seeing the planchette moving, what is their insight if any?

Since they see that there are fingers of humans on the planchette their intelligence tells them that obviously the humans who are touching the planchette are moving the planchette, and they are still waiting to see what else these humans are trying to achieve.

So, what is my conclusion at this point?

Namely, that if there were nothing in your head at all and also in your heart at all, the physical occurrence of ouija, namely, the movement of the planchette means nothing to you.

Yrreg
Yrreg

Re: Philosophical considerations on ouija

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 13 Oct 2010, 07:51

I think even the self proclaimed atheist here will agree with you about the "pseudo-skeptical atheists" "Pseudoskeptics atheists" seem to have made a religion out of psychological defense mechanisms (I deeply enjoyed your introduction in general. The question of motive is, I think, a good one. It takes on a different connotation when the question becomes one of your motives)
On the ouija, after your 3 statements of knowledge (2 and 3 I agree, 1 I am agnostic on) you stated the Judeo-Xian beliefs that it is a) demonic and b) can make one lose salvation.
I had gotten as far as 2, 3, and B in 1992 when I learned a friend had been murdered. We had promised each other to contact each other via ouja when one died sixteen years before. I tried, then things got weird. Unfortunately the ouija board drops out of the story :)
Welcome 2 the site Peace
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Re: Philosophical considerations on ouija

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 13 Oct 2010, 09:41

Excuse me not "B" "A" in the sense I suspected an outside intelligence of unknown motivation
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Return to Philosophy / Psychology