View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Spoon-bending for beginners: Teaching anomalistic psychology

Discuss Science, Alternative Science and Suppressed Research.

Spoon-bending for beginners: Teaching anomalistic psychology

Postby really? » 03 Oct 2012, 20:48

Why introduce students to a field of psychology investigating claims that fly in the face of mainstream science? Chris French can think of several good reasons

From next month, potentially thousands of teenagers at schools and colleges throughout the UK will start lessons that deal with telepathy, psychokinesis, psychic healing, near-death experiences and talking to the dead. Surely the minds of the nation's youth will be corrupted by all this mumbo-jumbo?

Don't panic. I believe this is a development to be warmly welcomed, although I should declare a vested interest. From September, anomalistic psychology will be offered as an option on the A2 psychology syllabus for A-level students from the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance, the largest of the three English exam boards. For several years I have been teaching a course on anomalistic psychology at Goldsmiths, University of London, as part of our BSc in psychology. I have also been trying, along with others, to raise the academic profile of the discipline through the work of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths and am therefore delighted by this latest development. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/ ... psychology

I can see the merit in this course.
really?

Re: Spoon-bending for beginners: Teaching anomalistic psycho

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Oct 2012, 01:43

Awesome article. IMO, the author relayed true skepticism in composing this piece as well as expressing his personal opinion about the facts. Thanks for posting this.
NinjaPuppy

Return to Science / Alternative Science / Suppressed Research