[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
It's Magick! : Spirituality / Spiritual Teachings - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

It's Magick!

Discuss Spirituality, Share Spiritual Teachings and Lessons.

Re: It's Magick!

Postby Craig Browning » 23 May 2010, 22:17

I couldn't agree more and if the consumer seeks out a "Psychic Professional" that knows his/her role they will get someone that is a guide, not a director. My job when I do Readings, isn't to tell the client what to do as much as it is to help them accept what they already know they need to do or, in many instances, reveal the options. Whenever a psychic, priest or whatever becomes a "director" or starts "prescribing" things as a "solution" they are stepping across several ethical lines in the sand even though I can understand those occasional circumstances in which such action might be warranted... this is an exception not the rule however.

What you have described as the negative is what I refer to as the Anna Riva School of Reading... her book "Black & White Magick" reveals a big glimpse into how the Readings deliberately find issues and then prescribe this or that spell/products needed for addressing and overcoming the problem; her entire focus is moving products and generating an added cash flow to her store... then again her company is still one of the best known resources for oils, candles, spells going when it comes to the "real" witchipoo shops out there (vs. New Age crap)... you can tell just by walking through the door and taking in a deep sniff, the Anna Riva products are that easy to recognize. :twisted:

Granted, I have a vest bias here, but I believe the best qualified folk for doing Readings at the professional level are those Mentalists who not only know both sides of the "game" but who likewise have at least a foundation level of counseling background/training & certification. Those that host this resume serve as educated watch-dogs within both, the community at large as well as the Psychic element within a given region. We can offer feedback to law enforcement as well as the proverbial grape vine when it comes to possible predators and even dangerous cult situations. Because we fit into that world the investigative side to what we do is obfuscated, allowing us to gain the trust of suspects and/or their associates in order to prove out things one way or the other.

The other reason I defend this particular idea is that the Mentalist is more likely to recognize those who have genuine mental/emotional issues that require much more than a Tarot Card Reading. We have a unique position of authority through which we are able to encourage the sitter to seek out a professional in the mental health industry and not just rely on us. I've even established a solid working rapport with area counselors so I can give people their cards and make a direct referral and in some instances, that gesture is reciprocated.

Why would a professional in Mental Health refer a client to a Psychic?

In a word, PLACEBO

As I've pointed out before, there are those situations in which the patron's background (religion, culture, etc.) demands a different course of action that incorporates those deeper beliefs & phobias into the "cure". The therapist cannot present such alternatives but they can place their patron into the hands of someone that is "in the know" that can work with them in ways that aid the patron in "growing up" so to speak.

There's much more to it but you should get the gist with what I'm saying.

Yes, there are predators and con-artists well seeded in the Psychic community but they are a minority more than they are a standard. They stick out like a sore thumb because they are driven by their ego; either to hold an iron hand over a group or segment of the population or in contrast, to gain public notoriety a.k.a. fortune & fame (can you say Sylvia Brown?) The "true" Psychics however, are quiet private in how they live their lives and most accept only nominal payment and typically it's by donation not a set price... at that, most will accept barter over cash in that they really aren't in it as a matter of vocation but as I've pointed out previously, it's a "Calling" to them.

The very arguments people use against Psychics can be applied to similar work done by the Clergy as well as the so-called Mental Health professionals. The only difference is that these two elements have a piece of paper that say's they know what they're doing and can therefore steal from the public and control the lives of others via legal veneer. Humans being human, anything can be (and will be) corrupted when the individual is lead along the primrose path under the lie of "professionalism" and "business"... a drive invented for the sake of feeding both, ego and bank account. :evil:
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 24 May 2010, 18:39

I'm sorry Craig, but I just don't have the free time on my hands to read and then post counter-points to all of your posts. If you could simply post some kind of evidence or reference in one or two paragraphs that supports your belief in legitimate psychics, that would be appreciated, otherwise, I'll just chalk up your posts to one person's belief without having supporting facts.
ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 25 May 2010, 05:51

You're confusing something here (as most do)

To be brief, you are still assigning to the word "Psychic" a very fantastic "Hollywood" idea vs. the image and definition I use and teach and refer to time and again. There's no magic to it; just intuition, observation and LEARNT skills/knowledge. Psychic's merely have an "expanded sense of awareness" and that's straight from Edgar Cayce's mouth. Awareness comes about via discipline; discipline of the mind in regards to education, observation and "translation". There is not one profession in which public interaction is a part that these skills aren't foundation sets.The end result, as experience builds, is a heightened sense of intuition and being able to jump to conclusions that tend to prove a high rate of accuracy even when they seem exceptionally far-fetched.

If you want to see a "real" psychic go look in the mirror. I can't give you more than this. I've done my best to explain things in very mundane language so everyone could understand. No one has time to bother with learning from it... or so it seems. They want' "proof" and when it is presented in their own language and even agreeing with their points of view for the most part, it is rejected or set aside or, true to the skeptic's nature... MORE is asked for... they are never satisfied with anything sat on the proverbial table.

A "Legit" Psychic when I refer to one, is someone that is not out to rip-off or otherwise take advantage of the public. They are educated and host a sense of true integrity. The problem is, Skeptics refuse to believe that anyone doing exactly the same kind of work a "Mental Health Professional" does can be honest, sincere, up and up, etc. when they use Tarot, Pendulums, etc.

HINT: NLP has been proven a bogus science as has Hypnosis, the theories of Freud and dozens of other "legitimate" sciences out there. Roughly a century ago Phrenology was a proven and viable science that was infallible, today it's a laughing stock... how many other intellectual sciences fall into this "bogus brain material" category now days? How much of the science and physics that was proven just a century ago, will withstand the history of divination and spiritually based formularies that have been used for THOUSANDS of years and still, at least for some, prove to be rather affective???

Yes, I'm being silly here but factually so. The fickle facts are rather obvious and yet, the literal definition as to what it means to be a Psychic has been the same within esoteric circles, for thousands of years... even biblically! (You will find the idea of being "Psychic" as a mode of "low" consciousness and not something miraculous or "paranormal" in fact. On the other hand, Paul refers to becoming "Pneumatic" which is in some ways closer to the fantasy most have around the psychic thing but more closely related to finding Nirvana.)

I SIMPLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE THINGS ANY MORE CLEAR :roll:
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 25 May 2010, 23:27

ProfWag

Previous

Return to Spirituality / Spiritual Teachings