[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Harry Houdini : Off-Topic Board • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Harry Houdini

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

Harry Houdini

Postby ProfWag » 07 Jan 2012, 05:12

I watched an interesting show the other night on Brad Meltzer's "Decoded" about Harry Houdini. One of the conclusions was that it could be possible that Houdini was murdered by his wife Bess, or possibly someone else in the spiritualism religion. Anyone out there have any insight on this? (Okay Craig, yes, I'm kinda pointing to you... :-) )
ProfWag

Re: Harry Houdini

Postby Craig Browning » 07 Jan 2012, 23:20

:o That's a new one, but then I found a few books on Abe Lincoln recently that blew my mind too... in one, he was Gay and in the other he was a legendary Vampire hunter. :?

According to a couple of friends of mine (one, whose father actually worked for Mr. H as a machinist) Old Harry was far more a believer than most recognize and when it came to those I'd call "legit" he was actually quite kind and accepting though he would have genuine debates with them, just not in a condemning tone as we find so prolific these days. So I really doubt that anyone that's was "straight" and working as a medium or whatever would have been involved with such foulness. On the other hand, there are rumors that a few charlatans wanted his head on a pike, especially after the whole Senate hearing dramas.

I really doubt Bess would have had anything to do with this, Conan Doyle's wife on the other hand could have and would have had reason to. But I still doubt such a thing would have any genuine meat on the bone to be honest, the Doyles' were good friends of Harry & Bess. But there is one factor you don't mention -- other magicians.

Harry wasn't well liked by a rather long list of magic lovers (including Blackstone, Sr). . . in those days things really did get a bit nasty so if there were a conspiracy to kill Harry I'd bet on someone from the magic world not the spiritualists.

But then we have that supposition that he was a spy. . . :o
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 08 Jan 2012, 07:40

ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Jan 2012, 09:35

I wanted to watch that show but something came up or I fell asleep or something. Thanks for the recap. I will have to look to see if it will be on again in the near future.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 02 Apr 2012, 03:56

I still can't find this particular episode but I did find this: http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general ... /0324.html

I don't see how his wife or anyone else could have planned his death.
NinjaPuppy

Postby thequeen888 » 03 Sep 2015, 22:31

I watched a documentary on History Channel about the life of Houdini. It is sure intriguing.
thequeen888

Postby Lorraine Flores » 12 Jul 2017, 21:33

I also need to watch this movie
Lorraine Flores

Return to Off-Topic Board