[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
A problem with infected ads on this forum : Suggestions / Feedback • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

A problem with infected ads on this forum

Post suggestions, ideas and feedback for SCEPCOP and this website. Propose and coordinate projects, plans, articles, site improvements, etc. Requests for new boards can be made here too.

A problem with infected ads on this forum

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Nov 2009, 21:04

SCEPCOP - Since the ads at the bottom of the forum pages here have been re-instated, I keep getting hijacked by alpha anti-virus. It's a malicious virus that requires the purchase of specific software, that is very expensive, to remove it. If you don't act quickly and accordingly, it downloads automatically on to your computer. I had no problem with this when the ads at the bottom of the forum were removed. Now that they are back, so is this virus.
NinjaPuppy

Re: A problem with infected ads on this forum

Postby Scepcop » 09 Nov 2009, 02:32

How many times has this happened in the last few days?

The bottom ad is from Adbrite, and they usually have no history of having viruses in their ads.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

Download Malwarebytes. It's a powerful free program that works quickly to clean your computer of trojans and viruses. Here is the link. You will love how fast and smooth it is, and it's free.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I'll contact Adbrite and let them know about this. Which ad did it come from? If they can't remove it, I'll just have to remove the adbrite ad.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Nov 2009, 04:01

It happens about one in ten hits to the 'Forums' button. I know it's going to happen because I hear a double click and BINGO! There's the little gray box to download the software. It attempts to load without me having to do anything and I have to exit the forum to stop it from autoloading.

I don't have time to look to see what ad is up at the time as it flips me right out of this forum to another screen and opens in second screen. All I know is that it started when AdBrite was at the bottom of the forums pages and ended when it was removed, and now it's back.

Thanks, I'll give that link a try and see if it helps. I am curious if I am the only one getting it.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 10 Nov 2009, 03:14

I have been once. Now Symantec seems to be stopping the attacks.

I used SpyBot S&D to clean up most of the trouble. I also used a tool that removed the last remnants of the infection.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Nov 2009, 07:55

Read this article it might be the reason:

Title is "Major online ad site hacked, serving up exploit cocktail"
Nostradamus

Postby brett » 11 Nov 2009, 15:30

must agree with one comment , i use firefox and have not as yet had many of the problems i had when using IE - try it its free and seems to work ok ;)
brett

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Nov 2009, 19:49

Ahhh, thanks.

I noticed that SCEPCOP switched the bottom ads to another company, and viola! The problem is now gone. I should have bought a Mac. :roll:
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 13 Nov 2009, 06:15

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Nov 2009, 09:22

No problems the last few days, thank you.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Nov 2009, 08:33

OK, they're back today.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 01 Dec 2009, 04:04

ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 01 Dec 2009, 08:45

NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 01 Dec 2009, 19:56

Since I already bought a new computer, I'm not too concerned about Office on this one anymore so it's all good. This little computer was 3 years old anyway and had been dropped a few times so it was time for a new one anyway.
Thanks for the download info Nostradamus!
ProfWag

Postby Nostradamus » 24 Dec 2009, 09:00

Not sure of the origin of the file, but I did encounter an infected PDF file. It did not trouble me because I recently turned off Javascript in PDF files as recommended by Adobe. This is a must for everyone until Adobe ships a fix.

1. Start Adobe Reader
2. Go to edit>preferences in the menus
3. Click on Javascript on the left in the categories
4. At the top make sure enable Above Javascript is not checked

This makes the current PDF attack moot. All versions of Adobe reader including the most recent, which I have, are subject to the problem.
Nostradamus

Postby Scepcop » 26 Dec 2009, 02:28

Are the viruses still on the forum? Where do they direct you to? Can you give me a URL? What do they do exactly?

Adbrite's strict anti-virus program should have eliminated them by now.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Next

Return to Suggestions / Feedback