[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Why I think astrology is false : Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions - Page 11 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Why I think astrology is false

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby Don » 19 Dec 2009, 06:04

Don

Postby Don » 19 Dec 2009, 06:06

Don

Postby Don » 19 Dec 2009, 06:36

Don

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Dec 2009, 07:04

NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 19 Dec 2009, 20:57

Let me preface this by saying that due to my computer getting a virus from this website yet again, this will by my last visit to the website. It's been a lot of fun. I will try again in a few weeks to see if the virus is still there, but if so it will be my last.
Now, back to why I think astrology is false. In August, 2005, approximately 1 million people were displaced from Hurrican Katrina. Of those in the months and years leading up to that event, how many were told by an astrologer that they were about to experience something of catastrophic proportions and needed to move? I have heard of none, but that doesn't mean there wasn't someone. Yet, presumably, there would have been many, many who read horoscopes or had readings prior to that shouyld have known if astrology was valid. I realize my evidence is andectodal as well, but it's why I think astrology is false. Oh, and also based on the thread "My 100% accurate astrology reading," I think many of them are fraudulent as well. I believe much, much more harm than good comes from astrology.
Happy Holidays to everyone and best wishes to you. I hope this virus thing can get fixed as I truly enjoy all of your "company."
ProfWag
ProfWag

Postby Nostradamus » 20 Dec 2009, 10:46

Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 20 Dec 2009, 10:53

Nostradamus

Postby Don » 03 Jan 2010, 08:40

Don

Postby Don » 03 Jan 2010, 08:42

Don

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Jan 2010, 12:27

Nostradamus

Postby ProfWag » 04 Jan 2010, 19:05

Last edited by ProfWag on 06 Jan 2010, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 06 Jan 2010, 04:29

this is a nice video
from richard dawkins Enemies of reason

is kind of funny
i bet don will get mad at it
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Kevin Kane » 09 Feb 2010, 17:24

I watched the Dawkins video and laughed at how silly it is. Dawkins set out to falsify results, and achieved what he set out to do. What he doesn't take into account in his non-scientific experiment is the intent of himself and his testers, and the general affability of people to accommodate someone who is intent on doing something (in a friendly manner).

I could do a similar test with people on the street, saying things like: Einstein's favorite color was blue. Do you think the color blue makes people smarter?

Why yes, come to think of it. I do think that.

PS: searching .. Einstein's favorite color was maybe yellow or red.

And the other problem I have with the experiemnt is the ethics of defrauding people for science, to prove a point or further an agenda.
Kevin Kane

Postby ciscop » 10 Feb 2010, 03:36

For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Don » 01 Jun 2010, 14:17

Don

Previous

Return to Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions