[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
What do you think of Hare Krishna and the Bhagavad Gita? : Religion / Theology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

What do you think of Hare Krishna and the Bhagavad Gita?

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

What do you think of Hare Krishna and the Bhagavad Gita?

Postby Scepcop » 10 Sep 2014, 07:27

Hi all,
I went to a vegetarian meetup group that turned out to be a Hare Krishna center. I've been going to vegetarian meal feasts and meetings there. The people there are very spiritual and non-materialistic, so I have a lot in common with them. They read these Vedic texts called the Bhagavad Gita.

Any of you familiar with this? If so, what do you think of them? I heard that famous people like George Harrison of the Beatles, Robert Oppenheimer, research head of the Manhattan Project, Ghandi, and others, were involved in Hare Krishna.

Have any of you read the Bhagavad Gita? Supposedly it contains stories about human history that go way back before Sumeria.

Here is a BBC documentary about Hare Krishna.

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: What do you think of Hare Krishna and the Bhagavad Gita?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Sep 2014, 03:11

I don't look good in jumpsuit orange. :D
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 14 Sep 2014, 08:57

First, please note that it is "Gita" and not Vita as in your subject line.
I found the Bhagavad Gita to be a very difficult read, but very spiritual and enlightening. I've only read a few of the chapters so I'm not an expert. My wife knows all about it though and as a yoga instructor, she thinks it's a great guidebook for self awareness and guidance. Gandhi himself memorized the damn thing. He says of the Gita: "The Gita is not an aphoristic work; it is a great religious poem. The deeper you dive into it, the richer the meanings you get. It being meant for the people at large, there is pleasing repetition. With every age the important words will carry new and expanding meanings. But its central teaching will never vary. The seeker is at liberty to extract from this treasure any meaning he likes so as to enable him to enforce in his life the central teaching."
ProfWag

Postby Scepcop » 16 Sep 2014, 16:20

Thanks for the correction ProfWag. I corrected the spelling and changed it to Gita. It's hard to spell words like that. I can't even pronounce it. lol

I bought the Bhagavad Gita book in their gift shop. I looked at it but it was confusing. It's not something down-to-earth.

But Hare Krishna is kind of a religion though. People who are serious about a religion are kind of in their own world. But then again, in a sense, everyone has a religion, even Atheists and Darwinists do, in the sense that they have a set of beliefs that they cling to and reject all contrary data. Everyone needs something to believe in, including me. So in that sense, we all have some kind of religion, whether we call it that or not.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 19 Sep 2014, 08:47

Yea, most of those names confuse the hell out of me as well so no biggie.
BTW Scepcop, here's something fun for you to run with. Name the historical person from the following clues:
Born without mother having sex
Has been called "God" and "Son of God"
Sent from Heaven in the form of a man
Called "Savior" (the second of a trinity)
Father was a carpenter
Visited at birth by wise men guided by a star
Performed miracles
Celebrated a last supper
Crucified
Rose from the dead.

The answer? See next post:
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 19 Sep 2014, 08:49

And the answer is...

...Krishna (ref: http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chri ... ate-jesus/)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Sep 2014, 01:48

NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 21 Sep 2014, 05:42

ProfWag

Return to Religion / Theology