[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Is needing or wanting to worship a God a human defect? : Religion / Theology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Is needing or wanting to worship a God a human defect?

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

Is needing or wanting to worship a God a human defect?

Postby Greatest I am » 15 Jul 2013, 22:57

Is needing or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?

Gods have no needs or wants that man can assuage. Gods are said to be so high above us that for any God to have such a need would be like man craving the adoration of germs.

I see us as just as foolish as germs and the creatures shown in this clip as we act the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a_uwyY_H4

I can see where at one time it would have been profitable to bend the knee to King/Gods as in the original archetype city states, as used in the original Eden myth written by the Jews, but not today.

That myth I think was written from the following reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9cvYB7Tes

Our present secular systems of governance have bested the Gods in the moral and legal senses and only the really right wing theists would want to live under the laws of the old barbaric Gods.

I am not an atheist and seek God to appease what I recognize as my spiritual side. But not to bend the knee or adore; just to improve any defect in my thinking; if I have one.

I know that there are way more followers out there than leaders but cannot fathom why someone would want to lower themselves to adore even a God unless it is strictly as a self-serving action that we hope God will recognize and reward.

That is hardly being good for goodness sake. God would know and send such hypocrites to hell. Which scriptures say is where the vast majority of us will end up regardless.

That means that you, even if you pray daily and hard, are likely going to hell along with most of those you know. In a sense, you should feel sorry for those few who make it to heaven as they must spend eternity watching their loved ones in purposeless torture. That would drive any moral person insane.

Gods have no needs or wants and has no rewards to give in exchange for what Gods have no need or want of.

The Godhead I know certainly disavows such a need or want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkT1-N0VqUc

Why then, if you are a believer, do you need or want to worship a God if not for the reward you think it will bring you?

Is your need to adore a God a defect or benefit?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Re: Is needing or wanting to worship a God a human defect?

Postby Scepcop » 22 Jul 2013, 15:16

Belief in God and religion seems to be innate and natural. It's not something cultural or conditioned. Scientists think that man's belief in God is an advanced version of dogs needing a master.

Here is an episode about this on the science series "Through the Wormhole" called "Did we invent God?" which addresses this:

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Greatest I am » 22 Jul 2013, 23:32

Greatest I am

Postby Craig Browning » 12 Sep 2013, 22:46

The idea of "god" or "gods" is exactly as George Carlin implied; Man Created God in His Image & Likeness. . .

This is far more true than anything you will find in sacred texts, in that humankind needed the Gods in order to explain phenomena we yet understood and too, as a kind of security blanket and confidant during times of uncertainty or adversity. It is very much akin to a child having imaginary companions that in truth, help them think things out during early life and, in many instances, transform in latter life as Guardian Angels, Spirit Guides & Teachers. All in all these things are merely an imagined expression -- a tool created by our subconscious that allows us to commune with the real essence of "divinity" which resides WITHIN not outside the self; a truth we find taught by all of the great master teachers/prophets though man has managed to muddle things up here and there. Even Jesus warns us against searching for god outside the self and explains that it is only by going within that we are able to find it. . . Jewish tradition places the eternal altar of the great temple (man) at the heart where a flame burns. . . what later became seen as the Holy Spirit and what mystics have known for centuries as presence of the divine; what makes them sensitive to others and the environment.

NO, I'm not saying that "God" does not exist -- IT DOES! But not in the manner that we've been taught to view such things.

Even when the Pagan calls to the Mother Earth & Father Sky he/she knows, as an initiate, that such things are metaphoric and no literal. We distinguish these things in this manner so as to help us focus while encompassing ALL into a simplified thought; after all God/the Gods are omnipotent and all invasive. Like the Force, they exist in all things, in all forms being neither good or bad, light or dark, but both, even male & female. All of this echoes from the axioms credited the great Hermes some 6,000 years or so ago while in Egypt; a single deity that started off as an actual human being and was elevated by both, his works, his wisdom (intellect) and the social adoration he came to know in life as well as death. Arguably Hermes (Thoth) was the first human so elevated only to be followed by numerous kings and rulers from cultures about the known world past and even to date, it might seem.

For much of the past millennium humankind has been learning to redefine God, seeing it within the sciences as well as what some call "Pseudo-Science". We are learning to find "the divine" within ourselves as well as one another. This does not go against any prior teaching, it sustains what we've heard in those Sunday School classes -- in seeing the divine in others and by living in accordance to the golden rule (the most ancient and universal of all wisdom teachings) it becomes impossible to hate, distrust, abuse, covet, steal from, murder, etc. our fellow being for they are "God" for lack of a better term -- we are all facets or "faces" of the divine and it is our obligation to honor that which is such. The Quandary found facing a certain young Prince in the Bahgvah Gita centers around having to do harm to "family" that had betrayed its divinity or "humanity" as the case were. Part of his lesson was learning that mortal death wasn't the same as spiritual death and that sometimes it had to be endured so as to help purify the soul and allow it to return and so compensate for the transgression done in a previous life.

Is this so preposterous an idea?

Not when we realize that all matter is energy and thus, eternal; it can only change form but it must return and evolve. Isn't this akin to what the prophets speak of in most sacred texts? Yet, it is also what science teaches, is it not? Thus, the two are one, so to speak. Self-Awareness coupled with intellect lends to you personal divinity or "enlightenment", which means that you are able to understand and clearly relate to what is truly divine as well as that which is of genuine evil.
Craig Browning

Postby Greatest I am » 13 Sep 2013, 08:42

A pleasure to read some of my own thinking. We are close.

I call myself a Gnostic Christian and esoteric ecumenist and am well familiar with your line of thought as I share it all except the reincarnation. Having had an apotheosis, I can tell you that even a brief time in the Godhead is all one needs to decide not to return here as there is no need to in my view. Once we take our next step after death to the Godhead, I think we are there to stay.

The path shown by this gent is the closest analogy to the path I travelled and he may resonate with you the way he did with because of you and I are close in how we see things.

Please let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Return to Religion / Theology