[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Howdy : Introduce Yourself - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Howdy

Introduce yourself here!

Re: Howdy

Postby Arouet » 07 Jun 2011, 08:56

Dont' quit your day job, and for God's sake - don't borrow any money in pursuit of this dream!
Arouet

Postby JO 753 » 07 Jun 2011, 17:05

Good advice!

Therez alwayz this inspiring talk about making the world a better place coming frum politicianz and various celebritiez, usually addressing an auditorium full uv kidz. But az soon az you try to actually change sumthing thats obviously in need uv improvement, everybody starts shouting about respect for tradition, naive optimizm, established time tested bla bla bla.

To quote George Bernard Shaw, "Reazonable peepl adapt themselvez to the world. Unreazonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselvez. All progress, therefore, dependz on unreazonable peepl."
IF PEPL TuK KeR UV XeR TiM aZ DILIJeNTLE aZ XA TuK KeR UV XeR MUNE, XA WuDNT SPeND SO MUC TiM TAKING KeR UV XeR MUNE.
JO 753

Postby Arouet » 07 Jun 2011, 20:04

Good luck to you then...
Arouet

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 14 Jun 2011, 12:06

I admit to a considerable investment in the 20th century English verse, which gives a predisposition to knee jerk mockery such as above, but...
1.GB Shaw spent a considerable amount of effort on a similar project, and my “dyslexic” brother invented his own syllabary, where “predisposition” would be transcribed as “pree-diss-pose-sit-shun”, and “dyslexic” as “dice-leak-sick” so you are in company I like, and...
2.Your target audience is not native speaking, but those trying to learn a second language, so the objections of the native speakers are largely “ear-rev-veil-ant”
3.As far as their objections as to the difficulty of relearning do have validity, I suspect we exaggerate. Years of reading my brother's missives, and remedial students English papers, as well as studies on the actual process of reading, reassure me that the difficulties mentioned are manageable by minds which look at the first and last letters of a word and guess from context what comes between. Considerable...
4.Texting. Which brings us to the point of my specifying my language is “20th century English” and the original objections. However, I consider English to be a dead language, a fact not generally noticed because all English speakers are dead. I speak American. I also read it, and I read English as well. The writings as the past slip into obscurity, as meanings change. Shakespeare would find modern “English” far more incomprehensible than we find him, and even Shaw would be badly confused.
5.Last point. You are not proposing everything be rewritten, thank goodness. You are proposing something like Basic English, a learning tool. Good Luck
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Postby JO 753 » 14 Jun 2011, 17:27

Thanks! A well written, considered response, justifying your member name.
IF PEPL TuK KeR UV XeR TiM aZ DILIJeNTLE aZ XA TuK KeR UV XeR MUNE, XA WuDNT SPeND SO MUC TiM TAKING KeR UV XeR MUNE.
JO 753

Postby Craig Browning » 15 Jun 2011, 01:56

Craig Browning

Postby JO 753 » 15 Jun 2011, 06:02

JO 753

Postby Craig Browning » 17 Jun 2011, 02:39

Craig Browning

Postby JO 753 » 17 Jun 2011, 06:59

JO 753

Postby Arouet » 17 Jun 2011, 20:01

Ummmm, I haven't noticed your new form of spelling taking over the English speaking world. Maybe a little premature to be comparing yourself to Mike Tyson!
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 18 Jun 2011, 02:08

I'm feeling as if I'm dealing with one of Winston's YouTube Genius types here :roll:

I have to stop, I simply don't need the added stress such stupidity brings to life.
Craig Browning

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself