[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
If time has no beginning, how can there be a present?! : Metaphysics / Quantum Physics / Nature of Reality • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

If time has no beginning, how can there be a present?!

Discussions about Metaphysics, Quantum Physics, the Holographic Universe and the Nature of Reality.

If time has no beginning, how can there be a present?!

Postby Scepcop » 09 Aug 2009, 05:19

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: If time has no beginning, how can there be a present?!

Postby Hellboy » 09 Aug 2009, 06:37

Ummmm difficult concept is time, mathematically it works in terms of quantitative representations and projecting time frames either backwards or forwards with respect to three dimensional space-time coordinates.

Hence Einstein’s concept of four dimensional space-time which mathematically and intuitively works to a remarkable degree. Of course the equations are symmetrical in terms of the direction time can take, in other words the equations work both forwards and backwards in time, without apparent ambiguity.

For me personally time is intimately related to distance or distance travelled. Imagine an atom or any fundamental particle that vibrates with a specific frequency in a specified amount of time. What are you actually measuring? You are measuring a change of state over a period of time (or an arbitrarily selected measure of time/distance). Therefore without change there is no measure of time as the atoms state is still the same as the measured initial state. Therefore the concept of time is a measure of change over a span of time that a human being perceives the flow of time. I am saying that without change there can be no relative comparisons between physical systems that yield a useful definition of space-time.
Without change of a system or the action between systems such systems could be viewed in effect as a system in stasis. The aforementioned system to an outside observer could be seen to experience in effect ...... no time!

The statement that time is infinite has no useful definition in terms of physical reality. According to modern cosmology time and space was created by the big-bang, from the evidence already uncovered this seems to be in accordance with theory and observation.
In terms of human experience of time I personally think that trying to combine human experience with measured time span is for the moment futile. The two are fundamentally incompatible for the time being (no pun intended...) you are measuring apples against oranges! Without a deeper and more complete understanding of both principles, one can only speculate!

Think on this more I will,
ChEERS hELLBOY :geek:
Hellboy

Postby Scepcop » 09 Aug 2009, 12:32

Why is time for you related to motion? You can stand still and the clock will still tick, and the sun will still move from day to night, etc. So time moves regardless, doesn't it?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Hellboy » 10 Aug 2009, 23:55

Hellboy

Postby Scepcop » 15 Aug 2009, 21:56

But even with no clocks, time still passes. Things age and decay, or go through changes. So even without movement, time still passes, doesn't it?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 15 Aug 2009, 22:16

Speaking of time, I had a weird experience when I was 5 or 6 that reflected my deep pondering of life early on.

One afternoon my parents took me to this circus, and while we watched the acrobats performing high up in the air (with no nets below! I'll never understood why they gambled with their life like that and no one cared, that should be against the law), I spaced out and starting thinking about the nature of time. Suddenly, I noticed something while watching all the movements during the show. With every movement and action, the previous state of things disappeared into oblivion. Even the moment I realized the present, it had already passed and became the past, never to return again. It was totally out of our control. Every moment was constantly passing into oblivion. With that, I felt a sad sense of helplessness.

It was an odd thought, but I noticed this is how time was. It was depressing to dwell on it too. I don't know why I thought these things when I was 5 or 6. Anyone else here think deep things like that when you were 5 or 6?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Aug 2009, 02:37

NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 16 Aug 2009, 20:34

I think since our eyes are anatomically the same, it's safe to say that we see the same colors. Surely you don't think that the bright orange that traffic controllers wear might be black to someone else's eyes do you? If it were, you couldn't see them clearly. lol

And white shows dirt and food a lot more clearly than other colors, so we must be seeing the same colors.

That being said, our favorite colors have to do with our personality and temperament. People who are sensitive and calm and imaginative like blue. Red is liked by passionate, aggressive people who love power. Green is favorited by stable, down to earth, nature types, etc. Orange and yellow appeal to optimistic spiritually oriented people. Black appeals to rebellious types. This has been well documented.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Aug 2009, 02:33

NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 17 Aug 2009, 04:21

It's possible that we are conditioned to feel certain emotions with certain colors. But each color has its own vibration, and as you know, certain vibrations resonate with some vibrations more than others, just like certain people feel more comfortable around those they resonate than others, which is why some people you meet you feel like you've known them for years.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Aug 2009, 04:47

NinjaPuppy

Postby Chica » 26 Aug 2009, 05:39

Hi. I don't have any words of wisdom on this topic but my mother used to say that purple/lilac was the 2nd colour
of mourning. Isn't it also associated with royalty? What about pink? It is a paler shade of red, isn't it? It should ,
therefore, have the same qualities associated with it as red does---only in a milder form. Right? What, then,
about bottle green and mint green? Would they follow suit? If so, what about turquoise orange etc? Would they
represent mixtures of two types of temperament? At this point, I suspect the whole concept becomes ludicrous?
I can see how red is associated with anger as a fit of rage often dilates the blood vessels in the face but why is green
linked to jealousy or blue to sadness?
Love is the goal, the key to everything.
Chica

Postby Scepcop » 27 Aug 2009, 12:25

Ninjapuppy,
I don't have links right now, but aura healers and seers would consider each color to have certain vibrations, and in metaphysics, everything has its own vibration, not just colors.

Chica, most people who like pink like red too. But this is all a theory. It may be learned or inborn. Who knows. Some things are just natural. We naturally like beautiful mountains and flowers, for example, even without being conditioned to.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby TaggertComet » 29 Aug 2009, 20:05

TaggertComet

Postby highflyertoo » 14 Jan 2010, 15:59

Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.
highflyertoo

Next

Return to Metaphysics / Quantum Physics / Nature of Reality