Sponsors: Expat Living Forum

View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version          Join Mailing List

Video: Sheldrake denounces Randi in public speech

Discussions about the James Randi Educational Foundation and its Million Dollar Challenge.

Re: Video: Sheldrake denounces Randi in public speech

Postby kokopelli » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:55 am

Share |

Well, of course "The Amazing Randi" is going to get the media coverage.
    Firstly, ... HE'S AMAZING!
    Secondly, He's giving away a MILLION DOLLARS!!!
    Thirdly...He showed us some neat-o tricks on TV and how to do them!
    Fourth.. He's cool!, He's got his mug on a CapitolOne Platinum Visa, and, he gets some payola when I use my Randi-brand magic money. (no tricks I hope :o )

Now all this has nothing to do with science, but who cares about that. The Amazing Randi is a showman, first and foremost, and the media loves a good show.

Postby highflyertoo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:18 am

Randi always side steps the paranormal as Randi really has his interests in dodgey Science.

Randi = Science Folklore
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.

Postby ciscop » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:03 pm

[size=200]HIGHFLYER2 = Statue Fighter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

how is that going by the way?
have you beaten the statue yet?

hahahaha :lol: :lol:
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)

Postby highflyertoo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Rupert Sheldrake is nobody's fool, where as Randi has the word ''KOOK'' imbedded in his mind.

Strange how Randi in his younger days would play dress ups, wearing Warlock's Costumes and stuff...... Did Randi really believe in supernatural magic ,and so thought by wearing the ''magician's robes'' that he would recieve hey presto power? Seems Randi was disappointed about his desire not blossoming...... Seems Randi is bitter towards believers In My Honest Opinion.
Randi was no researcher of the paranormal even though he tried half heartedly.... Shows over.

Postby NinjaPuppy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:26 am

highflyertoo wrote:Strange how Randi in his younger days would play dress ups, wearing Warlock's Costumes and stuff...... Did Randi really believe in supernatural magic ,and so thought by wearing the ''magician's robes'' that he would recieve hey presto power?

It's part of the job. Good costuming, good press, good tricks, good stage presence. It is what makes someone stand out and be noticed.
Highflyertoo wrote:Seems Randi was disappointed about his desire not blossoming...... Seems Randi is bitter towards believers In My Honest Opinion.

IMO, Mr. Randi has done quite well for himself. I also feel that his specific task was to bring the cheaters to light. Those who would claim they have some sort of ability, that they don't have.

Postby Kevin Kane » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 am

ciscop wrote:by the way
i still dont see whats y our fascination with randi
the skeptic movement is not only 1 guy
have you seen the building of jref? is small !! have you seen the ¨isaac asimov¨ library? is just one room! i have more books in my house!
it is just a SMALL SKEPTIC ASSOCIATION, TAM only gets like 900 people coming to vegas!.. Is nothing! the jref is small potatoes
yet you feel challenged and overwhelm by them!.. by this small bump
you should know that the JREF, in no way represent the skeptic movement
they dont represent me for example.

yet is quite funny seeing you koening and callahan trying to destroy it with your rants and stupidity
so far is just rants on internet forums.. i hope they go and do it for real
no veracity, no honesty...
its difficult to trust in 2 failed magicians with so much hate

JREF appears to have a sufficient budget that they can fly investigators around the world to do their debunking thing, and some sort of testing lab? I'd be interested in seeing a public disclosure of his funding. Frankly, that's the only that interest me about James Randi. Selling books and videos to a small group of diehard Randi fans probably wouldn't cut it.

Postby ciscop » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:54 am

... when did they fly over investigators?
can you point me to any case where they did that?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)

Postby really? » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:33 am

Azrael wrote:
Dude, you don't know shit. Sheldrake's tests were a SUCCESS and applauded in the paranormal community. Randi couldn't take it so he lied about Sheldrake. Sheldrake pointed this out in his speech here. Do you think it was right for Randi to lie about Sheldrake? You have no problem with it right, cause you are a cult fanatic, so anything your hero does is justified, including lying. Such skeptics should be banned from this forum, who can't even admit that one of their heros was caught lying red handed. Pathetic.

Hmm let's see..

A success and applauded in paranormal community? You dont see the problem with that?! There is no proof for the paranormal so how can something be judged a success in a field with no scientific standing?

I dont care what Randi does, I admire his stance on woo and his magician career but that's it. It says a lot about the paranormal believers when all they can do is complain about Randi. He isn't the be all and end all, as Sheldrake pointed out there is Chris French,also Richard Wiseman. I assume many scientific organizations would be interested in finding postive results to prove paranormal.

Join in with Professor and Jim Callahan in slagging Randi off but realize it shows your shortcomings. If Randi -who isn't a scientist-is such a problem,how are "believers" going to manage with a real scientist?
Grow up all of you. It's all Randi this Randi that. Because he represents reality and believers cannot handle their delusions being shattered. It hurts,but that's life.
If an 80 year old man is such a barrier between the paranormal and evidence then you have major problems. :roll:

My sentiments exactly.

Previous

Return to JREF / Randi Challenge