[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
A problem with infected ads on this forum : Suggestions / Feedback - Page 2 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

A problem with infected ads on this forum

Post suggestions, ideas and feedback for SCEPCOP and this website. Propose and coordinate projects, plans, articles, site improvements, etc. Requests for new boards can be made here too.

Re: A problem with infected ads on this forum

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Dec 2009, 05:04

SCEPCOP - I sent you a PM. I don't believe it's AdBrite.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 28 Dec 2009, 00:40

Let me remove the adbrite ad and see if the virus is still there.

I will also try to tighten the spam controls in the user registration to see if that will help get rid of the spam bots. There is a humanizer question during the registration process that usually eliminates all spambots. I don't know how they are getting past that.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 28 Dec 2009, 01:41

Ok I've removed the Adbrite ad at the bottom. Let me know if the virus is still here. Adbrite was the only change that occurred on this forum right before the virus problem started, so it is the first logical suspect.

I've also tightened the user registration controls a bit by making the CAPTCHA a bit harder. I don't want to make it too hard, as then it will be unreadable. I hate it when forums have unreadable CAPTCHA's that I can never get correctly.

I've also changed the humanizer question on the registration screen to something that a bot can't simply "add up" or do math with.

Hopefully, Ninjapuppy, that cuts down on the spam bots. Let me know if it does.

Btw Ninjapuppy, in case you didn't know, you can delete a spambot account and all its posts with one click. When you delete a profile, at the bottom you will see a checkbox for "delete all user's posts". If you select that, it will delete the user's posts as well when you delete the profile.

Thanks for alerting me about the virus problem.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2009, 02:23

Ahhhhh! Thanks for the easy delete tip. However, I'm usually not that quick at 3AM when I seem to find them. :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2009, 20:14

So far, so good. Not a single problem last night or this morning as far as that virus.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 20 Jan 2010, 13:42

Anyone experience any viruses on here lately?

ProfWag, are you able to browse this forum virus free now?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 20 Jan 2010, 19:14

ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Jan 2010, 20:21

That darned thing is all over the Internet now.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 20 Jan 2010, 21:40

When I say I was in the JREF thread, I was meaning I was in the thread in this forum...
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Jan 2010, 21:43

Yeah, I know. I was just adding my two cents. I had about a dozen people call me this week to ask me how to get rid of it and none of them come to this forum.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 02 Feb 2010, 23:15

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 03 Feb 2010, 01:22

It's written for those who have dedicated servers. In other words, it's for PhpBB. They own the servers for this forum.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 04 Feb 2010, 20:39

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Feb 2010, 21:53

It's basically a computer that is on all the time to keep your site up and running. Years ago, it was easy to put up a website without needing to use a third party like phpBB as long as you knew what you were doing from the tech end. Now it's really easy but you usually have to pay to do it.

If we have a tech person here who can explain this much better than I can, please feel free. I am not formally trained in all things computer and if I ask my husband to explain it to me in proper technical terms, my head will explode in 2 minutes or less.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 27 Feb 2010, 14:02

Has anyone had any problems with malware or viruses here lately?
Scepcop
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions / Feedback