[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Why are new members not posting? : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Why are new members not posting?

Discuss General Topics.

Why are new members not posting?

Postby Scepcop » 07 Dec 2009, 14:03

Hi all,
Ninjapuppy and I have both noticed that a lot of the new members who introduce themselves and remark about how refreshing this site is, suddenly disappear and never post again. We were wondering why that was. Perhaps:

1) They saw all the hostility and negativity from the skeptics here, which deterred them away?
2) They can't think of anything to contribute or are the passive type?
3) They like this site and forum but just don't have the time to contribute?

What do you think?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Why are new members not posting?

Postby ProfWag » 07 Dec 2009, 20:02

ProfWag

Postby Scepcop » 07 Dec 2009, 23:31

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 08 Dec 2009, 00:18

Scepcop, this is the second time in three days whereby you’ve made a comment that skeptics might be chasing posters away (the other in the “No Skeptics Allowed” forum). Ya’ gotta admit that could make a skeptic feel...unwanted... :-)
And yes, having lived with a Psychologist for 8 years and conducting much of her research, I am quite familiar with human psychology. Hostility usually derives from people being defensive, but I'll grant you that both sides have shown hostility at times. Pretty normal for a subject such as the ones postd here though, wouldn't you think?
We ALL need to remember to discuss and debate the subject rather than the person. Stating things like "apparently you know nothing about human psychology" isn't really debating the idea, but rather the person and creates the defensive stance and induces hostility which is exactly what I was referring to in my initial post.
ProfWag

Postby Nostradamus » 08 Dec 2009, 03:57

I just noticed the at length ad hominem attacks on the producer of the Star Wars movies. Don't you think that when people read these postings that they might decide to steer clear of the place?
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby jakesteele » 08 Dec 2009, 23:40

I'm not posting because I have posted and started threads and very little, if any, response from the members. I got disillusion because some of the threads I started were a lot of work for me and I was hoping for some feedback.
Debunkers think all UFO photos are fake,
especially the real ones.
jakesteele

Postby ProfWag » 09 Dec 2009, 00:35

ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Dec 2009, 00:57

NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Dec 2009, 00:59

I went over some of the topics that jakesteele started and paid attention to the dates. There is some feedback to almost all of them but then we had the soldiergirl invasion in early September which really sidetracked many of the topics as well as the continuity of posts due to removal of inappropriate content.

I personally spent more time looking for things that required removal than I did actually getting a chance to enjoy the topics or being able to comment. Eteponge was holding down the fort on dmabus front that preceeded the soldiergirl thing as well. Hopefully that is under control for now and it won't affect members being turned off by attacks and whatnot.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Student of Sophia » 09 Dec 2009, 22:14

I think this place ought to set up some sort of partnership with . They could use a discussion forum and we could use the traffic they get.
Student of Sophia

Postby The Warrigal » 10 Dec 2009, 03:58

I plead laziness when it comes to not posting.

(I did say when I joined that was more lurker than poster inclined)! ;)

The Trolls are not an issue for me as this Forum is well Moderated.

I like our resident sceptics and they have never been rude to me nor I to them.

So I can only speculate as to why post count has fallen.

Perhaps those of us who frequent other paranormal and sceptical sites need to spread the word a bit.

Now having got that out of the way!

(What follows is my own purely personal opinion).

I can't help but thinking that the conspiracist Sub-Forums not only attract more attention than is their due, but may also be damaging the crediblity of this Forum.

Speaking for myself, I do NOT regard criminal conspiracy, wether proven or alleged, to have anything to do with the investigation of what is presently unexplained natural phenomena.
The Warrigal

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Dec 2009, 05:25

NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 10 Dec 2009, 10:40

The CT threads for me are bunk. They are so easily addressed because there is overwhelming evidence against them.

I am more interested in the paranormal threads. I have found a few news articles that I posted attempting to hear more input from those interesting in paranormal events. I also attempted to inject some levity here by posting a few things I thought were humorous like the bigfoot sighting near San Antonio or the cartoon where the scientist wonders if there are enough siblings to make observations.
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Dec 2009, 10:43

While I agree with Warrigal, I must say that I have enjoyed the CT threads. At least the ones I could understand. Some of them are beyond my ability to really know what is talked about.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 10 Dec 2009, 12:31

I'm sure that your incite into the CT is better that you are admitting NJ. There is a lot of techobabble in the CT threads, but most of it is making a mountain out of a mole hill, or attempting to cast some miniscule doubt.

Einstein said something like any real scientist should be able to explain their idea to a layman in a few minutes. What he was relating is that it is possible to give some idea to everyone about the ideas being discussed. In the case of the CTs there is a strong tendency to misrepresent information for whatever reason.

For example, the no-planer claim is that no planes hit the towers or WTC. They claim hi-tech holographic imagery was used. If you live close enough to GA Tech go there and get a tour of the CAVE and you will see for yourself what an amazing device the CAVE is and what silly malarky the holography claim is. The CAVE lets you fly into the international space station, paint in colors in the air around you, walk across the city of LA in seconds, but you soon realize that you can see through things that you should not be able to see through.

Technology can do some wonderful things, but not rewrite the laws of physics.

I'd rather rather read some interesting statements from believers in the paranormal, than the stuff I have been posting. I believe that there are interesting things out there if we can simply get past the charlatans posting their rubbish.
Nostradamus

Next

Return to General Discussions